No rating

Renascence School International - Orange County

Private | PK-6 | 80 students

We are best known for top international curricula.

Living in Costa Mesa

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $465,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,910.

Posted April 29, 2014

My 2 children (5 and 6 years old) have been at RSIOC for a couple of years now and their progress in languages (mandarin, spanish, and english), math, reading and writing is pretty amazing. If you are looking for teachers and a curriculum to differentiate and improve your childrens education, I highly recommend RSIOC. Key factors for us: 1. Focused faculty. My kids growth and results is a priority. We have two kids who are polar opposites - they learn, respond, and test differently. I am so thankful to the teachers. We work together to advance their individual style of learning and we've seen great progress. 2. Assessments. Teachers prepare detailed and helpful progress reports to praise and help my kids advance. No fluff here! RSIOC faculty is held to a high standard of results and assessed timely as well. RSIOC is not afraid to turnover faculty who are not performing which has resulted in high performing faculty and kids testing results. 3. Difference. Compare and you will see an advanced level of experience and knowledge in every area (languages, math, reading, and character building). Visit the classroom, meet the students and see for yourself. Best, The Mitchell's.

Posted April 22, 2014

This school is amazing! My daughter has been attending RSIOC for 2 years; she entered the school with no language background and she is now fluent in both Chinese and Spanish. When we meet other native speakers, they always remark that she speaks with no hint of an American accent. As impressive as the advanced academics and language immersion are, however, one thing that really sets this school apart is the faculty and staff. The teachers at this school really care about their students. They are always available to discuss concerns and will take extra time outside of class to help struggling students. Also, the parent involvement at this school is incredible. It really feels like a family. Many of the families commute from other communities because it is worth the extra time and effort to receive such high quality education. I highly recommend this school for any parent who desires a truly unique, one of a kind, high-quality, cross-cultural education for their child!

Posted April 5, 2014

I m not in the school marketing committee & I m telling my own experience with my daughter about this wonderful school. My 4 year old daughter started pre-kindergarten thru the school year in Jan. In Mar she was given a verbal test & she recognized over 50 Chinese words. She is starting to speak half Mandarin and half English with me now. Last week, in the middle of the night she got up & asked me for a cup of water in Mandarin. I realized the next morning how significant this was. I myself learned English in my early 20 s & it took me a long time to think in English rather than translate in my brain. She is also coming along in Spanish, my husband said she was talking in Spanish to him and he did not understand any of it. The school teachers are excellent & they know what they are doing. I ve seen the Mandarin teacher working before & after school, one on one, helping the children who need more attention. The Spanish and English teachers are working very hard to make sure all children are learning at the same pace. The schools theme is a family school we help each other & encourage the children to study with each other. I strongly recommend this school. Richardson

Posted April 4, 2014

This school deserves six stars because they have exceeded my expectations by 110%. My 7 year old son who had never spoke spanish or mandarin before joining this school 2.5 years ago can now carry a conversation in both languages. My younger son has been going here for one year and the two of them will talk in mandarin or spanish depending on the context. The school is a lot of work for the children, the advanced academics could be overwhelming for some but it is worth the extra effort. My first grader is doing math problems his cousin is doing in second grade (at a different private school which also claims to be advanced) and he is doing it in mandarin! The after school programs are of high quality as well, we have done the piano, art and self-defense. The school is also very safe, they have camera surveillance, class sizes under 15 and a strict sign in and out protocol. We are very pleased with this school and are very glad to have found it when we did.

Posted February 28, 2014

Good school. Language teaching is good and the rest OK. Take review with an open eye as most are from parents marketing committee. Teachers mixed some good some not so good.

Posted October 23, 2013

This school is absolutely exceeding all my expectations - and I was expecting quite a bit! In addition to an unparalleled academic program, the teaching staff at RSI is truly committed to the success of our kids every day. Our kids are learning twice as much without the evening homework stress we used to experience in other private schools. Our 5-year-old started Kindergarten this year, and after ONE month she could recite four Chinese poems, name and match characters to ten different fruits, and is doing addition in Chinese. I was hesitant about putting our older daughter (age 12) in the program because the school is still young and there aren't as many older kids, but she too is thriving. She had four years of weekend Chinese at ICS, but now she is totally immersed in it every day and is making such speedy progress. The school director, Carrie Mizera, worked hand-in-hand with me to create a custom program so that our older daughter's classes fit perfectly with her ability and experience in math, science, Chinese, English, and History. Our family loves this school and we're so glad that the upper levels are opening up so that we can stay here all the way through high school!

Posted October 15, 2013

Renascence School International is one of the only schools in the area to offer true advance academics and language immersion in Chinese and Spanish. No other school will teach pre-algebra concepts to kindergartners or teach algebra and introduce the periodic table to 1st graders in Chinese, or chemistry to 3rd graders... RSIOC provides top notch education which no other school can come close to! It gives me goosebumps to hear that the PC 7th graders earned prestigious recognition of being a Duke University Talent Identification Program winner this past year. The students had better SAT math scores than 82% and a better SAT reading score than 86% of the college bound seniors in Florida! After learning this, I wouldn't want to send my children to any other school but Renascence because I know they are setting up my child to succeed in school and any profession they choose.

Posted September 27, 2013

I love the high academic achievement of this school coupled with its creativity curriculum so much that my wife and I moved from out of state to put our child here. This is a very fine school.

Posted June 20, 2013

Its amazing to me how much my son retains in both languages, and is excited to learn more. The educators are passionate about the curriculum and parents are committed to the process. The curriculum is rigorous and challenging with accountability built in for the faculty to ensure the children are learning. Our family is very proud to be a part of this school community.

Posted May 13, 2013

My daughter has been attending this school for a year now, and I have to say that I am really impressed in numerous ways. One of the primary focuses of the school is educating the children in both Mandarin and Spanish outside of just English. However, the aspects that really shine about the school are the dedication and caring of the teachers and administration. The truth is a school is only as good as the people who run it. I believe it is easy to teach children all of the basics (grammar, arithmetic, etc.) but what separates this school is that they look at other aspects such as teaching the children the importance of character. If you are looking to place your child in caring hands, you do not need to look any further.

Posted May 11, 2013

My son is in L4 (Pre-K) and he loves it. Though we are impressed with everything he is learning in Spanish and Chinese, we are equally impressed with what he is learning from his English class. He is currently sounding out words and wanting to spell, he's only 4.

Posted May 10, 2013

My son has only been at RSI for 4 months and I am very happy with how fast he is picking up both Chinese and Spanish. He sings songs in both languages while in the car all the time. I strongly believe his is getting solid education while having fun, making friends, and learning life skills. All the staff and teachers that my son is learning from have a personal interest in his growth and well being. We are very happy here.

Posted May 9, 2013

When we relocated to Costa Mesa from Australia 2 years ago, I went around and look at a few schools in the area to find the best school for my son. I was glad I found RSIOC. This is the only immersion school that teaches academic programs in 3 languages (English, Spanish Mamdarin, by native teachers (not as a foreign languages but second and third tounges) apart from a very advanced academic program. I have been constantly surprised by what my son has been learning everyday. One of the best things about this school is that the parents are very involved. its feels like an extended family. My son also has better manners and he just loves go to school and come back and speak Mandarin and Spanish in native accents.

Posted May 9, 2013

My 2 children have attended this school for a little over a year. In that year, they have learned more than most kids learn in 3-4 years, and they are inspired and excited to go to school everyday. They love their classmates, and they say that they like the school better than other schools they have seen/attended because "the teachers really care and teach them interesting things." This is the most amazing curriculum and staff I have ever seen or heard of, hands down, and I have lived in 4 states and attended Ivy league undergrad and graduate programs.

Posted May 7, 2013

Renascence School International has been wonderful for my children! They are learning languages in a way no other school in Orange County can compare to. Aside from learning Mandarin Chinese as a language, subjects such as Math, Science, and Geography are taught in Mandarin Chinese by native speakers. There is also daily focus on English, English grammar and Spanish. The small class size allows for plenty of individualized attention and enables all the children to achieve a high level of academically advanced learning. The parent involvement is amazing and had molded the school into a wonderful learning environment for all the children that attend!!

Posted April 30, 2013

We recently relocated to Newport Beach and have two children ages 5 and 7 that attend RSI (Renascence School International). We were looking for a language immersion school for our children and have been very impressed with our experience here. The school is unique and the only one of it s kind in the Orange County area. My children went into the school with very little foreign language background and have been able to pick up Mandarin so quickly. Aside from the foreign languages, academically they are learning (and excelling in) math and English concepts that are advanced for their grade level. I have nothing but great things to say about the school and the philosophies behind it. I hope you have a chance to visit.

Posted April 11, 2013

Best parenting choice to date! The directors and teachers have created an incredibly effective learning environment without the high pressure that can accompany these types of achievements. The academic results have been nothing less than astonishing, but the personal care and incredible support of our families needs really creates an amazing educational experience. As I watch my daughter's class move through this first year, I can't help but smile in knowing each one of these kids are receiving the best possible foundation for a happy and positive future.

Posted July 31, 2012

We went from a Top 10 Distinguished public school in an affluent neighborhood to Renascence for their innovative ed. Initially, Renascence's Mandarin immersion attracted us to the school, but we didn't see a reason to go to a private school when we could walk to a top-notch public one. However, my kids were unengaged by the teachers AND complained that what they learned was "boring.: We tried out Renascence for a week, and were astounded by the change in my kids' attitude towards learning. They initially struggled with the 90% Mandarin classes...only English was used in English class. The different, creative way that math, reading, Chinese, Spanish and English actually made them excited to work hard and interact with their teachers and classmates. They are constantly being taught to participate, question, and try in an almost Socratic method" style. My kids went from not speaking Mandarin at all (after 2 yrs in "immersion" preschools) to reading, writing, speaking it to each other and to others they think may talk back. They read and do math 2 levels above their greased. We would never move because we couldn't find this kind of education and administration anywhere.

Posted November 22, 2011

This school is such a great find! My child is loving her arts and crafts activities that are taught in different languages. In a matter of just weeks, she has begun spontaneously speaking in Spanish and in Mandarin at home, teaching the rest of our family! One of the things that I really love about the teachers is their combination of teaching excellence and ability to adapt to individual learning styles. They noticed her love of art and have nurtured it, providing her opportunities to combine tactile artistic expression with language acquisition. Mable.

Posted November 17, 2011

This school is a GAME CHANGER! It is evident that my son is destined to have a future in front of him that I could have never imagined. As a business man, I interact frequently with companies that are global. To survive in business today, most companies have to think on that broad scale. The world has become smaller with technology, and this school will enable my son to compete and shine on an academic level (math/science/writing/arts), a cultural level and a linguistics level. Every friend of mine in a multitude of business sectors ALL deal with foreign countries for sourcing materials to selling product. It is imperative we keep up with the rest of the world's developed countries and this is the ONLY school I found that is setting up these kids with an experience unmatched. Robert, father

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Dance teacher(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Chinese (Mandarin)
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Renascence School International, Panama City campus received national recognition for the quality of its program. (2011)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Mathematics

Foreign languages taught
Foreign languages spoken by staff

Health & athletics

• Dance teacher(s)
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 4:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • Jack Harvey
Best ways for parents to contact the school
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Fax number

Extra learning resources offered
  • Tutoring
Transportation options
  • None
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Playground

• Dance
  • Drama
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Chess club
  • Homework help/study buddy club
  • Recycling club
  • Robotics club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom