Maude B. Davis Elementary School

Public | K-6 | 496 students

Posted April 17, 2014

We're luck to have our son attend Davis. The staff are excellent. Teach and TA and parents are motivated to help kids learn. Most importantly the program at Davis make kids want to learn and want to be in school to learn.

Posted April 2, 2014

The staff did a super job. We were lucky to have our son goes there. They kept each student focus to educational goals, and work closely to each and every student including the parent.

Posted March 20, 2014

My child has had a lot of difficulties at this school. I can see why so many reviewers have said they do not like the school. I agree that this school is better than the neighborhood schools, but that is not saying much. Most of the surrounding schools are improvement schools with low test scores. We have a very limited selection of what I would consider "good" schools in our area. That is the only reason my child is still at this school. If we could afford to move our child to another area or another school, we would.

Posted March 6, 2014

Love, Love, Love this school! Unlike the parent who wrote that last review. I too am at the school several times a week. I've been at the school from the beginning and find it so amazing. I do have another school to compare it to and it blows the neighboring schools away in all aspects. You can tell that the teachers are so happy to be teaching at a school with so much parental involvement. I'm a room mom and I never have any problems getting parents to volunteer. Such a breath of fresh air from the school I came from. My children have way more knowledge and I can see the difference from my oldest child who came from the neighboring school, versus my other child who had been at Davis Magnet from the beginning. So blessed to be apart of this community! Last year there was a 350 child waiting list. Glad to see an unhappy parent leaving to make room for a family who will be very thankful for that spot next year.

Posted February 13, 2014

We have had our child here for several years. Each year, I keep hoping it will get better. It has not. I have seen first hand the lack of education the students actually receive. The school lacks in supervision and disciple of the students. Students can basically do whatever they want and there are no consequences for their poor behavior. Teachers have no control over their classrooms and the new administration does nothing to fix the issues that have been plaguing the school for years. This school has been a complete disappointment for our family. There are several reviews on here about how wonderful the school is, I would have to disagree. I am always at the school. I have been in my child's classroom volunteering every year for hours and hours. I have done all the reading, math facts, and extra work after school with my child. I feel I have a very informed opinion of OUR SCHOOL. I am very involved in the school and the activities. I think the reason that so many parents might feel that this is a great school is because they have nothing better to compare it to. This is our last year at this school. We are moving to a better school district. I would avoid the school if you can.

Posted September 29, 2013

Davis is a great school. the teachers work well with students and the principal is actively involved with the students. we're very happy to have our grandson attend !

Posted August 24, 2013

For those of you above with your complaints. I have to say that most likely you did Not in fact do what was expected of you by Our School. You did not do your Math Facts nor Reading Every day for 30 minutes nor your child's Computer programs. You did not invest enough time as a parent to your one or multiple child's needs. As for attitude .. You get back what you give. We are entering our 4th year and are very pleased with the SOARING GRADES that we see from our own child. I stand there every day and see the lack of parenting while certain kids run over The Parents. It has Nothing to do with the school!! Be a better parent

Posted August 19, 2013

We had three painful years at Davis Magnet School. Now we are in a wonderful educational place in a different state. Davis Magnet teachers we had lacked in lesson planning, parent-teacher communication, and classroom management. Our son's days were filled with doing worksheets, and unsupervised use of technology programs. I volunteered in the classroom, and not once saw actual "teaching", just independent work. The classrooms were chaotic. If there ever were any "projects" those were to be done at home (=parents' responsibility). The math and science focus was a joke. There were a few after school programs, but we did not see anything exceptional in the everyday teaching. However, the music program is great, PTA awesome, and the parents are very involved. Still, we have been so pleased to see the progress our son has made in the new school past year. While at Davis, his performance was always average, but once we enrolled him in the new school, and they tested his skills, he had to be placed in a grade below, because by 3rd grade, the kids in the new school were already a full year ahead where an average Davis Magnet student would have been. Now he is above all standards.

Posted August 17, 2013

The school as a whole is great. We really like the science and music programs. Last year one of our children was in a very rowdy class and the teacher had no control. Our children have only been at this school but I think the teachers need more guidance on dealing with discipline problems. I've noticed that some teachers are firm and others let students rule the class.

Posted August 4, 2013

My son is entering his last year at Davis Magnet. Since the beginning of his journey here as a 2nd grader at the onset of the Magnet curriculum, I can honestly say, "if these children Re the future leaders of our city, county and country...we're going to be in great hands. It's more than just a school. It's a co-op education community of, students, teachers, facility, and parents with a principle that is involved, listens and shares our goals. From music, science, technology, engineering/robotics, these kids could not get a better start in their education. The sky is not the limits here, these kids are looking to the galaxy and beyond.

Posted August 1, 2013

My grandson goes to Davis and loves his teachers and the attention he receives on an individual basis and has excelled in his classes the 4 yrs. of attending! We love Davis!

Posted June 12, 2013

I feel very blessed to be a part of the Davis family. I have two children there and we are going on our third year. Our experience has been nothing but positive. Having never attended any other schools it's difficult to say how it compares, but I can say my children have made wonderful friends, the teachers are fantastic, we love all the programs they offer and especially love the degree of family involvement. The PTA is incredible as well! Because of morning flag deck occurring every day the families have an opportunity to connect with one another, which facilitates stronger relationships within the school. The new principle is awesome and has a positive energy that radiates throughout the school. She seems to be perpetuating Dr. Rafferty's vision successfully. If I had any complaint at all it would be my desire to see stronger consequences and intervention for bullying.

Posted March 1, 2013

My son has been at Davis since it opened. He started in 2 nd grade and is now in 5th. We love this school. Every teacher so far has been exceptional . Parents are here because we Want to be here not because its our neighborhood school. Teachers were hand picked by the best principal in the state and they too want to be part of something special. Davis offers wonderful extra programs in science math and technology areas. The school is committed to having 100 % of students achieving competency in the core curriculum not the 80% that the state asks for. I am confused by the negative reviews and what those parents said or experienced because I haven't seen or heard anything of the sort and I'm on campus and involved at Davis.

Posted December 14, 2012

We were originally very excited about this school. However, the quality of the teaching staff has gone downhill. Although this school may have adopted the philosophy of meaningful homework to no homework, the reality is otherwise. We agree that mindless and piles of homework serve no purpose and do embrace the idea that homework should promote "higher-level thinking", parent involvement, responsibility, retention and good study habits. Based on the assignments we have witnessed year after year, it has been nothing more than the tearing of pages from various workbooks that have absolutely no value. Our Child is finished with the "assigned" homework in a matter of minutes. The only challenging work our child sees is what we as parents are coming up with. Spelling homework has been a joke...copying words down over and over doesn't work. How about the teachers invest more time to construct better lesson plans, and incorporate some strategies students can use at home. To the parent bragging about assigned reading, pretty much a state standard, nothing special there, just like the rest of the davis curriculum.

Posted November 30, 2012

This is one of the worst schools I have seen in Orange County. The only reason I gave this school one star is because I didn't have a selection for zero stars. Why do I dislike this school? Well we can start with the holier than though attitude I have received from the teachers, and the unwillingness of the prior principal Rafferty, who quit in a rather sudden fashion, to work with parents. The teachers at this school, with the exception of Mr. S, seem to have their "favorite pet" parents. The rest of us are ignored. The assignments given are pathetic, almost none existent. They are no brainer assignments. This will seriously handicap the kids when they get to high school, and college. This anti homework campaign is absolutely absurd. How are kids supposed to learn other points of view when they aren't assigned anything? When they actually get homework it is a mere fill in the blank.

Posted November 20, 2012

Our daughter has been at Davis since kindergarten. She is now in third grade. She has had a wonderful experience! The teachers are top rate! I've done lots of in class volunteering and the teachers I've seen have all been amazing. Contrary to what the above reviewer wrote I've found that the teachers and staff are incredibly friendly. We were disappointed that Dr. Rafferty left! However, the school is on the right track and most people I've spoken to are confident that the right replacement will be found.. Some of the highlights of the school are the librarian. She's always friendly and approachable. The kids adore her! The science teacher, Ms Brusic is phenomenal. She's great with kids and she's really knowledgeable. The music teacher, Mr. S is energetic and beloved at the school. There are lots of family activities at the school (Sock Hop, Camp Out, etc) that people really look forward to. The final shining star is the teaching staff. They are a sharp group with high expectations. I couldn't be more impressed with the teaching staff!

Posted August 31, 2011

I feel so blessed to have my children attend Davis Magnet School. We couldn't ask for a better principal. Dr. Rafferty goes over and above. He is hands on and inspirational. The teachers are excellent. Combine that with tremendous parent involvement and you have the formula for success.

Posted June 8, 2011

We are also a first year Kindergarten family and I am impressed. The academics are superior. Teachers collaborate within and without of their grade levels and demonstrate flexibilty that enhances learning. The principal is remarkable - he is always available for matters large and small and is a true leader. The community of families is strong, supportive and positive. This school has all the ingredients needed to continue to grow better and better year over year!

Posted May 7, 2011

My daughter is finishing Kindergarten and I am beyond pleased with her progress. The teachers go above and beyond what is expected of them and make learning fun, yet challenging. Dr. Rafferty is by far the best principle in the district. He is always on campus for flag salute, helps with the loading and unloading of kids during pick up and drop off and has high expectations of his staff, students and parents. Dr. Rafferty can always be found at the PTA meetings and was extremely dedicated in getting our relationship with NHL's Ducks to partner with the school. With top notch free after school programs for all grade levels to enrich their learning, what more could you ask for. I love this school and look forward to my other two children attending in the future. It can only get better.

Posted January 15, 2011

This is my sons second year here and I couldn't be happier. The teachers are awesome and I'm amazed every year by how much he learns. He's in first grade now and is reading books for 3rd graders, but I never feel like he's being pushed too far. My 3 year old just started Pre-school here, and I'm just as happy with it. Can't wait for all the years to come!

This school's

-14

API Statewide Rank
(2012)

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

10 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

48 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

48 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students78%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1050 Arlington Drive