Woodland Elementary School

Public | K-2 | 480 students

Sweep tile

Posted February 8, 2014

Take caution when going to this school, it could harm your child, compromise education and recently hurt your career if you are an employee or Teacher. There is favortism shown to people that ask for accountability, report accomodations not met for not just students, but staff employees. In some cases the Principal will not support people or even students when asking for assistance, a safe and secure school to learn, grow and employees might even have their career or job jeapordized. It is surprising that this behavior has continued for years and discussed openly in the Community and School environment and needs to be addressed immediately. We as educators, Parents and students need to stop this from happening to others and take a stand to stop this behavior of harming others, especially innocent children.

Posted January 14, 2014

We love Woodland! If you are looking for a school with great teachers, wonderful staff and an active & supportive parent community this is it.

Posted August 10, 2013

Woodland is a wonderful school because of the parent and staff support. It is a Kindergarten through second grade primary elementary school, which fosters young minds. I love all the teachers and the school environment. My children are excited to go to school every day!

Posted August 1, 2013

Love Woodland! I am a mom of triplet boys who just completed Kindergarten. They are each unique individuals and were all in separate classes. Each teacher was a perfect match for my boys. They are caring, wonderful women and terrific teachers! They were great with communication and very supportive of me as a mom who just returned to work in a part time position after being a stay at home mom from birth through preschool. One of my boys required an IEP. The reason for the lower rating for the Principal is that she discouraged me from pursuing an IEP and told me some untruths about the process. I believe she is near retirement. I contacted the Special Education Director for the district, met with her and the process was immediately implemented. I truly think you must be an advocate for your child. I love Woodland; I like the fact that it is K through third grade. The campus is small. The John Wooden attributes are great.

Posted August 1, 2013

My daughter just completed Kindergarten at Woodland and we were very happy with our experience. The school focuses on John Wooden's amazing values and builds self-esteem and confidence. I love that it is K thru 2 - a truly unique school. I am hoping we are as happy with first grade.

Posted February 11, 2013

It s been a while since I ve had children at Woodland, but we had an excellent experience there. I have had two children at Woodland and Kaiser, one is now at Ensign (in honors English and Math, which his elementary school teachers did a great job preparing him for), and one in 6th grade at Kaiser. We were very happy with the teachers we had at Woodland (all but two of them are still there). I always loved the fact that the school had only K-2, it was such a nice, protected environment for the younger children. I walked my kids to school every morning and the teachers and parents were always friendly and social. The level of parent involvement is good, and through the years it has grown even stronger. That being said, there are a handful of teachers between the two schools that I would not have wanted for my kids, but you are going to have that situation at any school (believe me, I have heard complaints from Mariners, Newport El, Newport Hts., and Carden parents sometimes you have a bad year). But we have loved Woodland and Kaiser and have had wonderful teachers the whole way through. My kids have received an excellent education, and made great friends.

Posted February 6, 2013

I'm a concerned parent of a to be kindergartner. The school sounds nice but the not so good reviews scare me. Is there anyone who can help me feel comforted? Thank you.

Posted June 23, 2012

This elementary school is the best in the area...the teachers are incredible and they are lead by an amazing principal who has been setting an academic standard of excellence for many years. Check out the recently added kinder-garden where the students can learn science with a hand-on experience. Also, a science teacher was added to teach the first and second graders in a dedicated science lab for 45 minutes each week!!

Posted June 18, 2012

Woodland is the best kept secret in Newport-Mesa! The teachers are fantastic and the environment for learning one of the best. The teachers are accessible, open and focused on helping your student achieve their best. The front office staff is welcoming and cares about the students. It is also nice to have the K-2 format because the focus is on the primary grades. The students have a full computer lab, music program, "kinder-garden", reading specialists and science taught by a credentialed science teacher! The parent organizations, (the PFO and Foundation), also work together with the school to help provide some of these programs; and they continue to look for other areas to make Woodland even better.

Posted April 18, 2012

woodland is an amazing school the staff there in the office and in the school have been great . The my daughters teacher has worked hard for my daughter to be able to succeed. I really love this school and apperciate all the hard work they do for me and my child. Thank you so much Woodland

Posted March 7, 2012

Amazing teachers, great staff, and parents who are extremely involved!!! This is a little gem of a school in Costa Mesa!!!

Posted November 29, 2011

Wow! What an amazing group of teachers, students and parents at Woodland. I have been fortunate enough to have a WONDERFUL experience at both Woodland and Kaiser (the 3-6 feeder school across the street)! My two boys loved Woodland. I love Woodland! From the moment you walk on campus and see the beautifully painted murals depicting John Wooden's Pyramid of Success, you feel welcome! You then walk into the office where you are greeted with a smile and sometimes even open arms. I've never had a bad experience as other raters have had. They must have been having a really bad day when they filled out their rating. The campus is clean, safe, well organized and there are so many teachers working hard to challenge each child every day!!! They have an amazing computer lab, smart boards, new playground equipment, healthy food, highly qualified and educated teachers and a loving staff. I find it hard to believe what the other raters have said about the staff members. Very hard to believe. Check out for yourself what a great school it is. PS Principal is spelled with PrinciPAL, not principle:)

Posted July 18, 2011

Both our boys have finished their 3 years at Woodland! We are actually sad that we won't be returning. We believe that most of the teachers are EXCELLENT and truly care about the kids! We did have only 1 teacher that wasn't our favorite...but that is normal. I love the parent participation too! The front office is friendly and helpful. Again we will miss Woodland!!

Posted April 8, 2011

The principle and some of the staff will destroy your Childs self esteem and character. There is no accountability and our tax dollars are being set up to destroy our precious children year after year. My child went to this school and was reprimanded for asking questions which in turn made her feel like she could not raise her hand in the classroom. One of the teachers would scream so loud at the children you could hear her outside the door. You will also be discouraged from walking on campus and not feeling you can stay a few minutes before or after school. My child was traumatized from a teacher not having patience teaching children at all. If you are brave enough to report anything to the principle she will turn it against you ridicule your parenting skills. Make sure you get your childs meaningful work, if you ask too late you will be told the teacher thru it in the trash can and devastate your child. My neighbors around me experienced similar things, however their children were punished for going to the bathroom after lunch and isolated from others during class time for no reason. Our society should come together and not reward lifetime jobs and benefits to these people. MC

Posted January 11, 2011

this school lacks of guidance from the the principal. She does not provide help or solutions for out-of-track students. My son was recently humiliated in front of the class for a misstep. Isn't the school staff there the guide children?

Posted January 7, 2011

We adore this school. The teachers are excellent and work well together, there has never been a lack of parent participation in doing projects, helping with activities, and helping the teacher. We came from a major urban area and loved our school and were delighted to find the academics and special activities were so rich for this school! We're in first grade now and our daughter is thriving!

Posted August 24, 2010

It's too bad that one parent who has a bad experience can write a review that can ruin the reputation of an excellent school with strong leadership, skilled teachers and a safe and nurturing environment. I currently have one child at Woodland and two that have moved on to Kaiser, Woodland's sister school. Throughout the six years I have been involved at Woodland, I couldn't have been more pleased with the educational environment it offers. Each of my children learn differently and have individual needs that need to be addressed. The staff and principal worked with me to meet these needs and choose the correct teacher placement for the following years. I rate this school with the highest rating possible. When parents and staff work together, all students are winners.

Posted May 13, 2010

Greetings, I'm a current staff member of the NMUSD and have a child who's a student at this school. While I can speak positively about our experience in Kindergarten, the opposite is the case for our experience in first grade. My child's teacher is in her last year. She actually had the audacity to inform me that she's on HEAVY medication for her aching back. She uses humiliation and intimidation to keep her kids in line. She actually sends her first graders back to the kindergarten class if they don't finish their work on time!! She's kept my kid sitting in the back of class all day and all year long. And that's not all...my child actually got written up for not eating his sandwich at lunch, and for 'acting like a baby' in the words of the teacher. She called him a baby to the class!! No accountability!

Posted May 20, 2009

I have a child that attended k and 1st at this school and pulled her out to put in private due to the lack of learning she was receiving. The principal was of no help when I had questions about happenings in the classroom. The teacher did not even look at the work the students were doing or not doing!

Posted March 25, 2009

My son has been in K for 6 months now and he is doing very well in reading, math and writing. Really great teacher and have other good things going on like the arts program, 'good' food education and generally well rounded.

Grade level

(2012)

6 / 10

1 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

6 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

1 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

175 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2013

2011

2010

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

175 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2013

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 31%N/A54%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

2025 Garden Lane