Posted October 07, 2014
I was told that my child's kinder teacher doesn't assign homework because she believes that the older siblings at home will do the homework for them. My child is an only child so how can this or any teacher make an assumption like this? Regarding the May 22 2014 review, how can parents check homework when there are no homework! Parents & Teachers need to be a team but unfortunately this "so call" parent is pointing fingers to parents when there is in fact a lack of teaching at this school. This "so call" parent is referring to the 1 star reviews that these parents have kids that are either over reactive or on the Autistic Spectrum. Why is this "so call" parent so concern with every parents reviews and also having such knowledge about Autistic children educational structure. This parent didn't let us know why he/she rated the school based on their child's experience but rather on a bias effort to give the school a 5 star rating for the principle & attacking all the parents that left justifiable & truthful reviews about the school. I agree with all the parents that left the informative comments. I will request a transfer for my child to a better school w/ honest teachers & staff.

Posted May 22, 2014
LOVE!!! The new principal Dr. Nagy. Paualrino ES is moving up and out of being a PI school. Leadership is the final puzzle piece for maximum achievement. The One Star reviews are people who expect teachers to their job as a parent. Check Homework, parents job! Reading at Home, parents job! Pick-up child from school, parents job! Over active child, parents job! As for students on the Autistic Spectrum, Paularino is the perfect school for a mainstreamed child who still needs a little support. The whole school is aware, empathetic and supportive of students and families with children who live with ASD.

Posted May 21, 2014
Paularino School is Costa Mesa's best kept secret, a jewel of a school. With focus on character and community, students education has a foundation of respect for everything. The teachers, their support staff, and parents collaborate beautifully and are driven to see Paularino succeed. In addition, the new principal encourages all panthers enthusiasm, drive and focus. Paularino School is FANTASTIC!!! Mission Statement "Every child, every day; learning and growing in every way!" School Cheer "Good Better Best; Never Let It Rest, Until Our Good Is Better And Our Better Is Best!"

Posted May 20, 2014
My family has found Paularino Elementary to be a wonderful school offering a great learning environment with highly qualified and dedicated teachers, a fantastic new principal and very involved staff. Our children are excelling academically and are enjoying many of the amazing additional programs our school offers including music, art, PE and a beautiful learning garden. The after-school programs (some free or very low cost) offer sports, homework help, chess club, nature club, ranch program, etc. all in a very supportive and positive environment. We also love that the school is a Class Act school (Pacific Symphony's flagship youth education program). I would highly recommend Paularino Elementary school to any family with children in preschool - 6th grade. Some programs/awards our school has to also take in consideration: Arts Advantage School, Class Act School, Mentoring USA Partnership, After School Clubs- School Band, Ranch, Nutrition Club, Student Council, Beautiful School Garden Strong Family Involvement, On Site Preschool, Nature Club, Green Wednesday- recycle, reuse and more!, PTA- Family Nights, Project Success, Costa Mesa City ROCKS program

Posted March 14, 2014
Paularino is a Need Improvement school for many reasons. My child's 1st report card-child is below grade level. 2nd report-child is far below grade level. The principal wrote meeting reading goals is Expected, without improvement child will be held back. My child did worst? After 1st report we were concerned & placed our child in Project Success. I was told they will help with homework & improve on reading. My child comes home with incomplete work & some are wrong. My child says there is no reading involved & when I pick up my child, it's like a sloppy day care. I help my child correct the errors & finish the incomplete work. We read 30 min, 5-6 days a week & I'm not a teacher & that doesn't leave us with much family time. My child tells me school is boring & the teachers are not nice. They should ask themselves, Why are the students failing? What are we (the teachers) doing? What can we do to improve? How can we help these kids? You cannot just Expect a child to just do better. You are the educator. These children are in your hands to learn when they are at school. Stop blaming the kids when your school Needs to Improve on the way they educate these kids in the 21st century.

Posted December 30, 2013
My son is in Kindergarten & not to happy. Academically, my son brings home classwork that are halfway done & mainly with colored pictures of every classmates every week, very strange. As far as the review regarding the pick-up. I must agree that it is very unorganized. Parents including strangers stand all around the lawn while teachers are in the driveway. The teacher would walk the children to the lawn & head off to the driveway. The children stand or sit at the lawn with no adult supervision. So I always show up extra early but it does scare me that there are lots of strangers standing around the lawn. we will be moving next year so I will transferring my son out of here.

Posted November 20, 2013
My daughter currently attends Kindergarten here and I could not be more pleased. Contrary to the other reviews they do not ever leave the kids unattended and none of them are allowed to walk home. When the kids are let out of school they all go to the lawn they are not allowed to leave until they are either escorted to the car, or the parent is at the lawn and they have said goodbye to thier teacher. The new principal is doing an excellent job at turning around the school and getting it out of PI status. To all the negative parents on here just remeber that a teacher can only take a child so far it is up to the parent to take thier child the extra mile. My child is excelling beyond my wildest dreams thanks to everyones involment with her from the teacher to the principal, staff and most importantly her family.

Posted October 31, 2013
I had to transfer my son immediately out of this Program Improvement School. My son started kindergarten this year & wasn't learning anything from the school. His classwork was never check & was sent home mostly incomplete or blank. There are no homework assignments & books either. The communication level between parents & teacher is not open & straight forward. My son was constantly injured at school, on a weekly basis, either hit in the head or bruised and severely injured. When I pick him up after school, he was always left unattended by his teacher and/or staff. There are no safety precautions here as the kindergarten children are always left unattended on the school front lawn & just about anyone can pick-up the children. My son's experience at this school was horrific. Since transferring him to a non PI school, he's doing great & loves his new teacher & school.

Posted October 12, 2013
My son has not learned much at Paularino that I have to spend extra time teaching him so he feels he is average to kids his age that don't go to Paularino. One of his teachers even suggested that my son needs a psychiatrist because he is too active. He is not too active, he's just an average kid. They even allowed him to walk home alone when he is not allowed too, he was only 6 years old at the time. My nephew had to transfer to a new school because his teacher was very mean and had no patience for him. He is mildly autistic. I don't recommend Paularino. I want to transfer my son to a new school but he doesn't want to lose his friends so I am still working on that.

Paularino Elementary School 0

Posted May 13, 2010
Great learning environment! I've always been impressed by what I've heard about the teachers and the kids educational experience.

Paularino Elementary School
1060 Paularino Avenue, Costa Mesa, CA  92626
Last modified Paularino Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Paularino Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top