Charter Oak High School 3

Posted April 07, 2014
Once the hidden jewel of SGV, this school has declined significantly over the years. Although the campus is nice, the teachers are highly stressed, impatient and sarcastic. They also attempt to overly influence the students with their own personal views: pretty mean and uptight with the exception of a small few. The positives about COHS are that they have a very good AVID, music and sports program and the office staff are polite and helpful. However, the attitudes of the General Ed teachers could use a complete makeover and their coping skills improved. Public schools used to be a place where children were challenged to learn and grow in an environment that was positive and helpful. Now teachers seem to project their own stress onto the students in an environment of intimidation. In conversation with other parents, this same thread of opinion exists and our children no longer look forward to attending school. When we ve asked our kids What teacher has been a great influence on your life? Sadly, none of them are from Charter Oak High School. What a missed opportunity at such a critical phase of a teenagers life

Posted August 25, 2012
This high school is among the best in the state.All my children have gone here and I have found that they care about the kids and the teachers do the best with what tools they are given.Believe me with all the cut backs that have happened they do a great job!!!For all you parents out there if you really want your kids to accellerate academically then get involved with them.When you stat involved with your kids it shows them you care and they are a better person for it.Before my daughter stsrted in this district she was at least a D - C student and by the time she got into high school she brought her grades up to C+ - B.In her 2nd year at Charter Oak high she was on the honor roll until she graduated.Now she is an LVN and about to become an RN!! So I give a huge thumbs up to Charter Oak high and all the teachers!!!!Rember parents you need to get involved and stay involved with your kids if you want them to succeed.

Charter Oak High School 1

Posted August 15, 2012
Not a very good school if you are looking for academics. The administration is so so and the teachers are O.K. If you are looking for good schools now I would suggest Glendora H.S. or San Dimas High School. Damian is an excellent high school but it is a private school so you have to pay to go.

Posted May 13, 2012
I'm about to graduate UC Irvine, and I have to thank COHS for preparing me for college, particularly the IB Program. The school does have its flaws. I felt that the CP classes didn't do much to help students, and not the teachers were great. Also moticed when i went there that the administration sometimes prioritized IB kids over non-IB kids. However, i believe that students and parents can demand change if they feel they need it. Overall it's a great school that offers much opportunity for student growth and if parents feel unhappy with their child's education, they should take it upon themselves to demand change at the district level.

Posted April 03, 2010

Posted August 28, 2009

Posted August 05, 2009
I am a former charter oak student who transfered out for living issues. I liked the school and wanna go back sophmore year

Posted June 12, 2009
Charter Oak High School is an excellent academic school. As a military brat I had been to a few to be able to compare. It was the school that had the most dedicated teachers I had seen.

Charter Oak High School 3

Posted April 11, 2009
My student is currently attending Charter Oak High School as a Junior. I feel she has received good advice and assistance from her counselor and only one other teacher this year which is a IB teacher. This IB teacher is rigorous in her home work assignments but at the same time praises all the students equally!

Charter Oak High School 0

Posted April 09, 2009
Isn't your student's success based on what they put into it and how much you are on top of them? I think Charter Oak has gone beyond my expectations of a public high school, considering my child was in private school all her life. I find her teachers to be extremely nurturing, and if there are any issues, I am free to communicate with the teachers via email or telephone. They are very responsive.

Charter Oak High School
1430 East Covina Boulevard, Covina, CA  91724
Last modified Charter Oak High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Charter Oak High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 58 reviews. Top