Glen Oak Elementary School

Public | K-6 | 500 students

Living in Covina

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $321,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,750.

In the know: Get our expert advice on schools

No articles are available

Posted April 17, 2014

This school is fantastic. My child is in the special education program and he has improved with his learning skills more then I ever anticipated.

Posted March 18, 2014

What happened here?? I attended this school and so did my brother and back then, it as AMAZING. The school was great, the teachers were great, the students and parents were great. Now that my own child attends here, I am absolutely horrified. We are wrapping up this school year and will NOT be returning next year. The office staff, as many others have noted, is AWFUL. The overall vibe of the school has really gone downhill and Covina as a city is not what it used to be. Very trashy and dirty. Thus, the environment here is not what you'd expect to find in a Covina/San Dimas area school. Very disappointed. Relocation is on the list this summer, for both school and home.

Posted October 11, 2013

My boys started at Glen Oak in the fall of 2012 when we moved to Covina from Rosemead. They have absolutely thrived in this school. Their teachers have been amazing. The school engages the parents and my boys even joined after school clubs that they were never interested in before (such as the Chess Club). We are so happy with Glen Oak.

Posted June 29, 2013

The teachers are the best thing about this school. We have been here two years with two children and haven't gotten a bad teacher yet. There are many other things we would like to see changed but generally, we are pleased with this school.

Posted January 27, 2013

I am so sad with how bad my child was treated due to his social economic class, by his 5th grade teach and the office staff. It was absolutly heartbreaking. Now he is doing wonderful at another school. I wish I didn't have to take him away from his friends this year and drive so far away from home to get away from the lack of social or cultural understanding. There was alot of gossiping by faculty here. This does not account for all. One class my child attended was great, but it did not challenge my child. Unfortunatly I have to give a bad review for how traumatized my child was, but the mistreatment of some.

Posted February 22, 2012

Dear Parent, Thank you for reading my posting and for your honest and candid reply. I agree with you in that the 70's were so very long ago, and I have to admit that when I joined the Army in 1980 to get out of school overload. Coming back in 1983 things had changed a lot. I left Covina in 1978 to live with my father, and he was much disciplined and I was expected to be the same I was going to high school and junior college at the same time, I just wanted a break so I enlisted for three years. Coming back home when I retired from the Army in 1994 I moved to Glendora things were ever more out of kilter than I could even begin to wrap my head around, there is something to be said about culture shock.

Posted February 20, 2012

I love this school I went to this school when I was younger and now my daughter does. She is in first grade w/ Mrs Cannings very caring teacher, very involved w/ the kids. Her kindergarden teacher Mrs DeAnda is a wonderful teacher too. I think the testing scores could be higher if some parents got more involved at home with academic projects (if time permits) with their kids. The teachers do all they can to help all 25 kids in each class. In my child's class there is always a parent there helping out!

Posted November 9, 2011

The new secretary is literally driving me nuts. She is so rude. So far, almost halfway into the school year, this has been one of the most stressful experiances.So far my son has been put in the wrong classroom, paperwork has been lost, he had to miss several weeks of school, etc. I can't even speak to the principal without getting through the secretary, that always has something sassy to say. I believe this school would appear to be a better school, if I didn't have so much stress. I just want my son out due to the stress involving the secretary, because it is just too overwelming. There needs to be an area to review the staff. Funding is a definite issue at the school, but it is not the schools fault. The PTA also plays a big part in working hard to raise the needed money. But none of that she cause the secretary to be so disrespectful to the parents.

Posted November 3, 2011

Benjamin you have my misspellings and the parents today interact very much with their children and the school. 1975 was a long time ago. Many of the parents were not even born around that time. Cities, communities, and schools change in all that time. I strongly feel that most of the problems are not the children, the school, or the parents. I believe that it really all comes down to over crowded classes, less material, less resources, less employee's and serious lack of state funding.

Posted July 18, 2011

I still love this school. My 2 kids, aged 10 and 7 are having a great time here and have learned so much. The community is strong and the school has many community building events through-out the year. My favorite is the spaghetti dinner / Brain bowl. Students complete against each other in a Family Feud style game...great fun. The school was labeled low performing by the state board of education, but if one looks at the circumstances surrounding the sanction, you will quickly realize that label was a purely political move...(the law is being challenged)...and the Board of education removed the label once they realized that Glen Oak has been labeled a HIGH ACHIEVING SCHOOL for the last 5 years... Good job Glen Oak students....Good job Glen Oak parents !!!

Posted March 1, 2011

What Happened? This school is now being sanctioned by the State of California Dept of Education for continued low test scores. Apparently once a school is sanctioned the school district is required to notify all parents so they can move their child to any school or school district they wish. Instead of fixing the problems the District is appealing the sanction! They should let the Parents make the best choice for their children.

Posted August 24, 2010

My grandaughter attended Glen Oaks and is going to 2nd grade this year. She had a great school year and a wonderful teacher. The office ladies have always been polite and helpful. All children should learn to do homework and with their parents help complete their work. I don't think the homework was to much. There are plenty of other schools in Covina scoring much lower if you don't want to expect to much you should transfer to a school with lower scores.

Posted September 15, 2009

CONGRATULATIONS For having a high API score, I don't have doubts in my mind in sending my granddaughter to Glen Oak school again. Continue the good work. A. Yolo

Posted June 19, 2009

My daugter just got out of the 6th grade, and I was very happy with the teachers, most of her peers,and her education. The only thing I'd dont like about Glen Oak is it's office staff. They are very rude and pushy, they sont try there best at working at GlenOak. I will not enroll my child in kinder next year beaucse of them.

Posted June 8, 2009

My son is ending the 1st grade at glen oak, and unfortunately we will be moving out of the area. I really love this school and will sadly miss the teachers and the staff that I always see outside guiding traffic after school. My son is sad that he has to leave this school, but is also excited to move onto another school. His teachers that he had for kindergarten and 1st grade were excellent and my son was fortunate to have them as teachers. They were very caring and always on top of issues. My son was always eager to go to school and did not want to miss any days.. Glen Oak will be missed!!

Posted December 7, 2008

My daughter for the most part enjoys this school. There are teachers at Glen Oak that are only there because it is their job. The teachers need to show happiness with our children and with each other, instead of bickering. After all, the reason they are there, is to teach our children. I appreciate the good teachers that actually enjoy their job and want to teach our children. Unfortunately there are very few. I believe most of the teachers don't understand to teach in class, only to send home work with not much classroom instruction, basically, do it because the state said you have to, and you need to learn to be independent. Glen Oak should watch our children better during playground time, and not tell our children that crude comments are acceptable and to get used to them. Principal should be at all school functions and at school on time.

Posted December 4, 2008

I am a mother of two daughters, who have and are attending Glen Oak. I have a mixed experience. Regarding the teaching staff, there are some exceptional teachers who motiviate, inspire, and expect alot from their students. These wonderful teacher, create challenge and the student thrives with energy and knowledge. I have experienced some Wonderful teachers, and those teacher have made positive impacts. But than there are those few teachers, who just go to work, as a paycheck. They don't have the heart. These teachers don't challenge the kids, and the students just fall behind and have just wasted a year with no progress forward. Not sure what can be done with those kind of teacher, because they have a contract, but sad to see, becasue it hurts the overal performance of the child as well as the school. The principal has seemed to work hard and create positive changes!

Posted October 5, 2008

This is my second child at Glen Oak. My first one attended 1995-1998, I then pulled him out and home schooled him for 4 years. My experiences this time around are SIGNIFICANTLY better than the first time. The principle does seem to be gone frequently, however, in a situation I had to deal with at the end of summer, she did everything she told me she would do. One of which required her to call the district office. All of the teachers my son has had have been positive and good to work with and have aided him in his academic development. I will agree there is not a lot of parent involvement. At this point I'm the only parent that has come in to help in his class. Last year there were only 2 or 3 of us that helped. All in all a better school now than 10 yrs ago.

Posted September 22, 2008

This school has done nothing but cause my family grief. They have no clue and everything is always chaos.

Posted September 22, 2008

This school needs to concentrate on teaching and not sending everything home so that no one can have family time. It is rediculous.

This school's

(2012)

6 / 10

2 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

6 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

2 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

77 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

77 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students77%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff Korean
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Title 1 Academic Achievement Award (2006)

Special education / special needs

• Specific learning disabilities
  • Speech and language impairments
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Korean

Health & athletics

• Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing

School start time
  • 7:50 a.m.
School end time
  • 2:20 p.m.
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Margaret GrosJean
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (626) 331-5312

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Direct instruction
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Korean
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Remediation
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options
  • Cafeteria
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Parent center

• Choir / Chorus
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Arts and crafts
  • Dance club: Ballet
  • Yearbook

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom