Covina, CA
Before care: Yes

Glen Oak Elementary School 1

Posted September 12, 2014
Worst school ever!!! It would be a mistake to put your child in this school. The staff is horrible. The front office receptionist at this school acts like she hates her job, shes not polite and always answers with an attitude, she hates to be asked questions. I felt like not wanting to call the school at times or even visiting the office because i didnt felt welcomed as parent. I would imagine how the kids felt. This school needs some serious help and to train their staff (teachers including). This school doesnt have incentive programs like a before or after school homework club, etc to improve the students educational needs. I felt like this school only care about attendance that each child showed up to school $$$ and not if he/she was learning... also i had some experience with kids being allowed to bully at this school and staff didnt handle the situation the correct way, which they ignored. I have talk to some of the other kids and their not so enthusiastic about coming to Glen Oak. I feel like their not happy or feel uncomfortable with this school. Ive heard from other parents that it use to be better before but its been like this for quite some time (years) now! Disappointing

Glen Oak Elementary School 4

Posted April 17, 2014
This school is fantastic. My child is in the special education program and he has improved with his learning skills more then I ever anticipated.

Glen Oak Elementary School 2

Posted March 18, 2014
What happened here?? I attended this school and so did my brother and back then, it as AMAZING. The school was great, the teachers were great, the students and parents were great. Now that my own child attends here, I am absolutely horrified. We are wrapping up this school year and will NOT be returning next year. The office staff, as many others have noted, is AWFUL. The overall vibe of the school has really gone downhill and Covina as a city is not what it used to be. Very trashy and dirty. Thus, the environment here is not what you'd expect to find in a Covina/San Dimas area school. Very disappointed. Relocation is on the list this summer, for both school and home.

Posted October 11, 2013
My boys started at Glen Oak in the fall of 2012 when we moved to Covina from Rosemead. They have absolutely thrived in this school. Their teachers have been amazing. The school engages the parents and my boys even joined after school clubs that they were never interested in before (such as the Chess Club). We are so happy with Glen Oak.

Glen Oak Elementary School 3

Posted June 29, 2013
The teachers are the best thing about this school. We have been here two years with two children and haven't gotten a bad teacher yet. There are many other things we would like to see changed but generally, we are pleased with this school.

Glen Oak Elementary School 1

Posted January 27, 2013
I am so sad with how bad my child was treated due to his social economic class, by his 5th grade teach and the office staff. It was absolutly heartbreaking. Now he is doing wonderful at another school. I wish I didn't have to take him away from his friends this year and drive so far away from home to get away from the lack of social or cultural understanding. There was alot of gossiping by faculty here. This does not account for all. One class my child attended was great, but it did not challenge my child. Unfortunatly I have to give a bad review for how traumatized my child was, but the mistreatment of some.

Posted February 22, 2012
Dear Parent, Thank you for reading my posting and for your honest and candid reply. I agree with you in that the 70's were so very long ago, and I have to admit that when I joined the Army in 1980 to get out of school overload. Coming back in 1983 things had changed a lot. I left Covina in 1978 to live with my father, and he was much disciplined and I was expected to be the same I was going to high school and junior college at the same time, I just wanted a break so I enlisted for three years. Coming back home when I retired from the Army in 1994 I moved to Glendora things were ever more out of kilter than I could even begin to wrap my head around, there is something to be said about culture shock.

Posted February 20, 2012
I love this school I went to this school when I was younger and now my daughter does. She is in first grade w/ Mrs Cannings very caring teacher, very involved w/ the kids. Her kindergarden teacher Mrs DeAnda is a wonderful teacher too. I think the testing scores could be higher if some parents got more involved at home with academic projects (if time permits) with their kids. The teachers do all they can to help all 25 kids in each class. In my child's class there is always a parent there helping out!

Glen Oak Elementary School 2

Posted November 09, 2011
The new secretary is literally driving me nuts. She is so rude. So far, almost halfway into the school year, this has been one of the most stressful experiances.So far my son has been put in the wrong classroom, paperwork has been lost, he had to miss several weeks of school, etc. I can't even speak to the principal without getting through the secretary, that always has something sassy to say. I believe this school would appear to be a better school, if I didn't have so much stress. I just want my son out due to the stress involving the secretary, because it is just too overwelming. There needs to be an area to review the staff. Funding is a definite issue at the school, but it is not the schools fault. The PTA also plays a big part in working hard to raise the needed money. But none of that she cause the secretary to be so disrespectful to the parents.

Glen Oak Elementary School 3

Posted November 03, 2011
Benjamin you have my misspellings and the parents today interact very much with their children and the school. 1975 was a long time ago. Many of the parents were not even born around that time. Cities, communities, and schools change in all that time. I strongly feel that most of the problems are not the children, the school, or the parents. I believe that it really all comes down to over crowded classes, less material, less resources, less employee's and serious lack of state funding.

Glen Oak Elementary School
1000 North Sunflower Ave, Covina, CA  91724
Last modified Glen Oak Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Glen Oak Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 41 reviews. Top