No rating

Sacred Heart Elementary School

Private | K-8 | 265 students

Living in Covina

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $302,900. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,420.

Posted November 14, 2013

I am a student here at shs and I love it. Sure, we do have some instances of bullying but honestly, every school does. Its not an everyday thing though and the bully usually gets expelled or given a consequence. I came in 2nd grade and everyone was very welcoming to me. Also, the "peace builders program" has definitely positively changed our school. So stop reading all these negative reviews and ear it personal from a student. I love my school and I cant imagine going somewhere else. (:

Posted October 15, 2013

I 100% agree with all the bad ratings. This school is all about money. Yes the school's tuition is a lot lower than other private schools, but you get what you pay for. If you're thinking about this school think twice. There are better schools out there. Don't bother paying a tuition for public school education. That is what you're getting here.

Posted October 10, 2013

This school is staffed by some of the most incompetent, mentally, and verbally abusive people I have ever met. I am specifically talking about the two kindergarten teachers. My child was not bullied by other students, my child was bullied by the two teachers. My child was emotionally stressed. If you're looking for a private school stay FAR FAR away from this school.

Posted July 7, 2013

This school is a true nightmare. Like another parent said, sending my child there was my biggest parenting mistake. The teachers are too harsh on their students, to the point that they become stressed and unhappy. Most of the parents form their own clics only encouraging their kids to do the same. Some parents as well as some teachers not only meddle in each other's lives(who has what) but also meddle in the lives of students and their social life. This sounds OBSURD but it's true! There are other private schools in the area that are way better, that focus only on the children, on the children's growth mentally,emotionally, and spiritually and overall well being that at the same time take academics very seriously.

Posted July 7, 2013

Bullies do exist but SHS handles the situation so badly. SHS should take "bully zero tolerance" out of their school program because they don't even follow it. They spent money on Peace Builders which I think is a total waste. They should have just spent it to upgrade their very outdated computer systems. If you're a parent of a student who is being bullied, good luck! When you talk to the principal about your situation, she'll either show you the way out or tell you to just suck it up...indirectly, of course.

Posted June 10, 2013

As a parent of a graduating 8-grader who has attended Sacred Heart since kinder, I am proud to say that I am more than satisfied with the education my daughter has received. As previous comments have stated, yes, bullies exist. But, as an elementary school teacher for 15 yrs and a parent to 3 school-age kids, I have yet to find a school completely without bullies. My daughter experienced a few instances of bullying. But, it is important to remember there are ALWAYS two sides to every situation. These are ALL children. They are NOT born inherently mean. They become that way for a reason. Most likely due to problems we could not possibly imagine. This is not an excuse for their behavior, but the honest reality of it. The principal is not going to immediately condemn a named bully in one instant. She knows much more about their life than anyone else. She DOES work with them on proper behavior. Teaching my daughter strategies to confidently handle these situations in a NON-retaliatory manner has made her grow as a very mature, self-assured, compassionate individual. Also, ANY time I approached a teacher to discuss a situation such as this, it was ALWAYS immediately addressed.

Posted June 10, 2013

My child is about to graduate and has attended Sacred Heart since Kindergarten. I can honestly say that placing her here was THE best decision. As with any educational institution, Sacred Heart is not perfect, but it is always looking to improve upon itself. I have witnessed the school go through two WASC accreditations. Each time the school has taken an honest look at itself, set goals for improvement, and met or exceeded those goals. That is why it has continually received the highest possible (6 years clear) accreditation reviews. If you are concerned about the negative review that stated: The principal seems to run this school as though it is a business I say be glad she does and does it well! She has excellent budgeting and marketing skills, and that is why this school continues to stay open, grow, and thrive when many other Catholic schools have had to close their doors due to poor financial management. Private education is very much a business. It does not stay open without the tuition & fundraising money it brings in. I know firsthand that the principal is VERY willing to work with people going through economic hardships as long as you keep her aware of your situation.

Posted January 24, 2013

I am a former parent and I did take my child out of this school for the exact same reasons as last two reviews. The bullies at this school are far more protected than their victims. The principal is completely unapproachable and seems to lack compassion when it comes to concerns you may bring to her attention. Compassion and approach are such vital qualities for a person in her position and its really disappointing to read that these issues are still present at Sacred Heart School.

Posted October 30, 2012

One of my biggest parenting mistakes was sending my child to this school. The principal is more concerned about raising money for the church, than the well being of the student. They have this stupid thing called "peace buiders" which is a complete joke. Nothing is done to a student who uses words to bully another student, but, the student who retaliates gets in trouble. Everything is completely backwards at this school, and I wouldn't recommend it to ANYONE. If you don't make friends with the principal, don't expect any help from help from her if your child is being insulted by one of her riends students. Unacceptable. I wish I could take my child out, but my child has plenty of friends already there.

Posted December 15, 2011

The principal seems to run this school as though it is a business and the most important thing is their money and fund raising. Even going as far as telling parents they will be put in collections and no this has not happened to me. I do think they have a good Curriculum and good staff as the other parents have said . I just feel as though this principal is in the wrong buisness

Posted November 6, 2010

I am a student at SHS. My school differs from other great schools. We go to mass every Friday to stregthen our faith. We have a high grading scale in which the teachers make sure we reach our academic goals. We have a great staff that cares about every student!

Posted September 15, 2008

Sacred Heart is an all-around terrific place to send your children for academics and a faith community. We always feel that our children are safe and cared for. There is a strong sense of community; parents look after all of the children, not just their own. The office staff is friendly and always willing to answer questions. Our children are very happy at Sacred Heart School.

Posted March 31, 2006

Rigorous and varied offerings within an academic program that provides a solid foundation.

Posted July 19, 2005

This school has a great academic curriculum. There are a variety of extracurricular activities, and the school itself is in a quiet residential area. The office staff is a bit stand-offish, and the tone of the school is not as caring as I'd have liked. I suppose snooty is the best word I can think of, it always seemed as if I was a bother when I had questions. There are a lot of parent 'cliques', but if it's academics you're interested in, Sacred Heart delivers. They have a fantastic Science Fair every year. For my kids, I wanted something a little more 'big picture'. Academics are important, but so are nurturing and emotional development.

Posted September 30, 2004

Sacred Heart is the kind of high quality school all parents want there kids to attend. High Academics, safe nurturing environment, and a great religious experience.

Asian or Pacific Islander 10% 11%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Mrs. April Luchonok
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Los Angeles

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

360 West Workman Avenue