Posted December 15, 2014
I was a student at this school for four years and it was absolutely terrible. I started in the second grade and was immediately the subject of ridicule. I was abused verbally, physically and emotionally by students and teachers. I was strangled, kicked in the private parts, called names, had my lunch, money, and PE clothes stolen (separately), labeled as retarded for reading slow, was blackmailed, had my schools supplies destroyed, and was rudely ignored by my fellow peers (ex: not shaking hands/saying "peace be with you" in church). I let my parents know this was happening and the school did nothing. Parents of other students encouraged this behavior and created cliques themselves that they shunned my parents out of. They wouldn't even say hi to me or my parents once they found out that I was the class punching bag. After 4 years of constant abuse my parents talked to the principal directly who said and I quote (I was there after all) "Well if you don't like it you can just leave, we don't need you." This school is terrible and they do not punish the bullies properly, they let them get away with so much of it and are more interested in making money then helping students develop.

Posted November 14, 2013
I am a student here at shs and I love it. Sure, we do have some instances of bullying but honestly, every school does. Its not an everyday thing though and the bully usually gets expelled or given a consequence. I came in 2nd grade and everyone was very welcoming to me. Also, the "peace builders program" has definitely positively changed our school. So stop reading all these negative reviews and ear it personal from a student. I love my school and I cant imagine going somewhere else. (:

Posted October 15, 2013
I 100% agree with all the bad ratings. This school is all about money. Yes the school's tuition is a lot lower than other private schools, but you get what you pay for. If you're thinking about this school think twice. There are better schools out there. Don't bother paying a tuition for public school education. That is what you're getting here.

Posted October 10, 2013
This school is staffed by some of the most incompetent, mentally, and verbally abusive people I have ever met. I am specifically talking about the two kindergarten teachers. My child was not bullied by other students, my child was bullied by the two teachers. My child was emotionally stressed. If you're looking for a private school stay FAR FAR away from this school.

Posted July 07, 2013
This school is a true nightmare. Like another parent said, sending my child there was my biggest parenting mistake. The teachers are too harsh on their students, to the point that they become stressed and unhappy. Most of the parents form their own clics only encouraging their kids to do the same. Some parents as well as some teachers not only meddle in each other's lives(who has what) but also meddle in the lives of students and their social life. This sounds OBSURD but it's true! There are other private schools in the area that are way better, that focus only on the children, on the children's growth mentally,emotionally, and spiritually and overall well being that at the same time take academics very seriously.

Sacred Heart Elementary School 2

Posted July 07, 2013
Bullies do exist but SHS handles the situation so badly. SHS should take "bully zero tolerance" out of their school program because they don't even follow it. They spent money on Peace Builders which I think is a total waste. They should have just spent it to upgrade their very outdated computer systems. If you're a parent of a student who is being bullied, good luck! When you talk to the principal about your situation, she'll either show you the way out or tell you to just suck it up...indirectly, of course.

Posted June 10, 2013
As a parent of a graduating 8-grader who has attended Sacred Heart since kinder, I am proud to say that I am more than satisfied with the education my daughter has received. As previous comments have stated, yes, bullies exist. But, as an elementary school teacher for 15 yrs and a parent to 3 school-age kids, I have yet to find a school completely without bullies. My daughter experienced a few instances of bullying. But, it is important to remember there are ALWAYS two sides to every situation. These are ALL children. They are NOT born inherently mean. They become that way for a reason. Most likely due to problems we could not possibly imagine. This is not an excuse for their behavior, but the honest reality of it. The principal is not going to immediately condemn a named bully in one instant. She knows much more about their life than anyone else. She DOES work with them on proper behavior. Teaching my daughter strategies to confidently handle these situations in a NON-retaliatory manner has made her grow as a very mature, self-assured, compassionate individual. Also, ANY time I approached a teacher to discuss a situation such as this, it was ALWAYS immediately addressed.

Posted June 10, 2013
My child is about to graduate and has attended Sacred Heart since Kindergarten. I can honestly say that placing her here was THE best decision. As with any educational institution, Sacred Heart is not perfect, but it is always looking to improve upon itself. I have witnessed the school go through two WASC accreditations. Each time the school has taken an honest look at itself, set goals for improvement, and met or exceeded those goals. That is why it has continually received the highest possible (6 years clear) accreditation reviews. If you are concerned about the negative review that stated: The principal seems to run this school as though it is a business I say be glad she does and does it well! She has excellent budgeting and marketing skills, and that is why this school continues to stay open, grow, and thrive when many other Catholic schools have had to close their doors due to poor financial management. Private education is very much a business. It does not stay open without the tuition & fundraising money it brings in. I know firsthand that the principal is VERY willing to work with people going through economic hardships as long as you keep her aware of your situation.

Posted January 24, 2013
I am a former parent and I did take my child out of this school for the exact same reasons as last two reviews. The bullies at this school are far more protected than their victims. The principal is completely unapproachable and seems to lack compassion when it comes to concerns you may bring to her attention. Compassion and approach are such vital qualities for a person in her position and its really disappointing to read that these issues are still present at Sacred Heart School.

Posted October 30, 2012
One of my biggest parenting mistakes was sending my child to this school. The principal is more concerned about raising money for the church, than the well being of the student. They have this stupid thing called "peace buiders" which is a complete joke. Nothing is done to a student who uses words to bully another student, but, the student who retaliates gets in trouble. Everything is completely backwards at this school, and I wouldn't recommend it to ANYONE. If you don't make friends with the principal, don't expect any help from help from her if your child is being insulted by one of her riends students. Unacceptable. I wish I could take my child out, but my child has plenty of friends already there.

Sacred Heart Elementary School
360 West Workman Avenue, Covina, CA  91723
Last modified Sacred Heart Elementary School is a Private school that serves grades K-8
Sacred Heart Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top