Culver City, CA

Star Prep Academy 2

Posted September 27, 2014
STAR Prep Academy is a downfall waiting to happen. Other than the great class sizes and the individual attention given by the teachers, it is very unorganized. As a former student of STAR Prep I have witnessed how much they are lacking. The favoritism shown by the teachers hould be unacceptable, but it continues to go on. Some of the teachers are unqualified to teach students, and in some classes the students would sit there for the hole class socializing and playing on their phones. A few years ago the school was considered a gifted and talented school, but that is no longer the case. More than half of the students have some sort of disability. They allow many of the "challenged" students to come to school without deodorant, messy hair, and dirty clothes. As a student I found this complete offensive. It was brought up numerous times to the principal, but nothing was done. Many of the students think that they do not saying anything to the students parents, or prohibit them from attending school that day, is because they fear the students family will be offended and possible leave the school. This school should get new owners, principals, or be closed down.

Posted November 13, 2013
As a teacher within STAR Prep Academy I am constantly surprised by the wealth of opportunities provided by our school. I have never been short of support from administration or parents to try out new activities or learning experiences and feel truly supported by the Head of School and other staff. A great place to work and a great place to learn.

Posted February 28, 2012
I am surpirsed by the last post, but some students haven't succeeded due to discipline and sometimes we don't see the faults in our own children. We are a scholarship family and have been more than happy with the program thus far (3 years). Great personal attention, a lot of activities for such a small school and I only see the future as bright. They are always adding new opportunities and my child has been afforded experiences they never would have received anywhere else. In the first semester they were whale watching, kayaking, volunteering, creating and leanring more than I ever expected. A true gem.

Star Prep Academy 2

Posted January 12, 2012
The school is a great concept but the teachers do not treat all of the children the same and has obvious favorites. The small school setting has its pros and cons. If you are lucky enough to afford the school your child will be allowed to do as they please. However scholarship kids are treated second class

Posted May 21, 2011
Star Prep Academy is like the best school ever much better than my old school. Finally I can go to a school where the teachers care, my peers worry about friendship and work instead of what i have on. At my old school I wasn't challenged enough. The teachers don't just hand you a book and tell you to read the directions, they help you. My teacher care about what going on with me in and out of school. Some people think that because the class size its boring. Its not. Everyone in my school is like one big happy family. Thank You.

Posted March 22, 2011
STAR Prep Academy is college prep with a heart. This has been a great opportunity not only for our child, but for our family to find a school that provides a curriculum that emphasizes critical thinking balanced with a school community that emphasizes caring. No cramming for tests, late night homework struggles, or fights to go to school. Our son wakes up happy to go to school and can't stop talking about the day when he gets home. At a time when kids and teachings are burning out, STAR Prep Academy's middle and high school in the heart of Culver City is a breath of fresh air.

Posted October 06, 2010
STAR Prep Academy has been a life changer for my child. Not only were the academics meaningful, but the support from the teachers and the administration was beyond comparison. My child attended other "progressive" schools, but this one was the right fit for me and my child. I can't say enough about the administration's commitment to each of their students and families and the staff's unwavering ability to keep the kids engaged.

Posted April 26, 2010
Enriching atmosphere, teacher to child ratio, challenging academics, thought provoking world issues even for the smallest child.

Posted April 25, 2010
STAR Prep is amazing. The teachers and administration are dedicated professionals who love to teach. The treat every child as a respected individual. The have the most incredible ability to find just the right teaching method to not only keep each student interested, but also to cultivate a deeper interest and curiosity for life and learning. Being connected to the STAR Eco Station provides an unprecedented opportunity for the students to incorporate environmental and sustainability issues and practices into their everyday learning and living. This school has really helped my child to thrive. He asks questions, make connections, and engages in world issues, politics and cultures from an internal desire not a required assignment.

Posted April 25, 2010
because they have a strong humanitarian and social conscience that informs the students and also shows itself in the way students are treated. My son went from a student who acted out in class and had an angry, negative attitude about school and about himself, to someone who has good self esteem, a positive social conscience and positive leadership abilities, he is even the school president!

Star Prep Academy