Culver City, CA
Students enrolled: 1,527

Posted January 14, 2014
My son started 6th grade in August. So far, so good! My favorite aspect of this school is the racial and ethnic diversity. My second favorite is the principal, who has been quite responsive when I talk to him. My son is a high performing student and although I don't know whether he is always being challenged, he tells me his is learning things. He says he is happy at this school - that's what a mother wants to hear! My one wish - a more developed Japanese program. He was studying it for the last 6 years at El Marino, the immersion elementary school. I wish he could be taking core subjects in Japanese, like the Spanish-speaking students can. There were a grant our school had to develop the program - but the federal government took it away during the recession. I hope they get it back again someday. It is a waste to have the students learn so much time studying a foreign language just to have them treat it as an elective. Lastly, I wanted to mention the Cross Country team. It was a wonderful experience for my son. I know he'll want to do it again next year. Unlike the elite basketball team, where only 10 kids make the cut, anyone who wanted to run could participate.

Posted December 01, 2013
After extensive research in moving to the Greater Los Angeles area, we decided to purchase a home in the Culver City School District. Our child is at Culver City Middle School, and we could not be happier. The Arts education is fantastic. My child formerly came from a highly gifted program, and she is thriving. The faculty really go above and beyond to meet every child's needs. If you are relocating from out of state, consider this district for the whole child. The location is fantastic in its proximity to Silicon Beach.

Posted October 15, 2013
This is one of the best middle schools in CA. It is a CA distinguished school, school to watch and perhaps one of the best public middle schools in the nation. The principal is a great leader and has an outstanding leadership team. We are one of the first in CA to embrace the new core curriculum. Arts integration in the classroom is actively pursued. We have an outstanding amount of parent volunteers that support classroom enrichment programs and after school class and homework help.

Posted July 30, 2013
My daughter attended grades 7 and 8 at CCMS. We are very happy. She has been able to continue Japanese foreign language instruction that began in elementary school. They have an excellent Principal in Jon Pearson. After school sports have good coaches, especially girls volleyball. And the Panther Parents organize exceptional after school activities such as the Comedy Improv program. Students publish an annual yearbook. Parents can see the school's daily bulletin and communicate with each other on a yahoo group email list.

Posted September 05, 2012
My child is just starting 7th grade at Culver City Middle School, and so far so good. She had excellent teachers in 6th grade, and we are looking forward to getting to know her 7th grade teachers. CCMS is now beginning to implement a stronger Spanish immersion program. Students who test in or who come from the two immersion schools (El Marino and La Ballona) can continue their Spanish, taking courses in Social Studies and Language Arts. The principal is excellent. He returns calls and emails, sometimes unheard of even in small schools. I gave the school 4 stars instead of 5 only because I wish that the school had a slightly smaller population. There are about 475 kids per grade (6, 7, and 8). However, that being said, if your middle-schooler gets involved in sports or after-school activities, she or he will thrive, and make all kinds of new friends.

Posted June 02, 2011
The kids are well behaved, ZERO policy for fighting, etc. but your child will DEFINITELY need to find a Clique to join,, Especially the girls. Lots of middle school drama amongst these cliques. (but that occurs at ANY middle school, even private schools. The office staffers are RUDE and mean. They hate their jobs. The Principal is the best. VERY kind and the kids love him. Lots of ethnic races in this school, but 80% of the kids know how to act. It is easy to get EXPELLED from the school so kids better act right. The teachers are like any other school, some good, some not so good. I give this school a B!

Posted February 20, 2011
hi my name is Chris i would like information on your school and thhe sports at this school.

Posted February 15, 2011
This is a great school, Culver City is a small community in the middle of giant LA! The teachers are great and really care about their students, counselors are always there to help, answering my emails within minutes. I was worried at first because a lot of kids come from surrounding areas, but now I am glad I made the choice for my son to attend. Keep up the great work!

Posted August 24, 2010
I have to say that last year was my first year having my child attend this school & I was pleasantly surprised! I found the environment to be incredibly family like & found a great deal of care exhibited by my daughters teachers. They were willing to assist her & guide her when needed as well as challenge her when she felt that she needed to give up. I was very impressed by the parent involvement & the Culver City community as a whole...it has a small town feel while being in the middle of a huge city (LA)! The two male administrators (the principal & one of the vice principals are very kind & seem to get the job done & have a good balance of supporting their teachers as well as parents. This school & the community is a diamond in the rough!

Posted August 09, 2010
this is a really good school the teachers always incourage kids to study i love it it also has great teachers and staff.

Culver City Middle School
4601 Elenda Street, Culver City, CA  90230
Last modified Culver City Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Culver City Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 64 reviews. Top