Farragut Elementary School

Public | K-5

Living in Culver City

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $347,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,690.

Posted Saturday, August 23, 2014

Farragut is an awesome school with an awesome parent and teacher community! I'd give the school 5 stars if the principal weren't awful. But she is. She is condescending, grumpy, unprofessional and apathetic. I've not once seen her interact with a student in a positive way. I have heard her yell and shame students. Tragic that this amazing school has to put up with this abomination. She's only been there a year, and morale has plummeted. Surely the district will catch on soon. I hope so!

Posted August 11, 2014

Farragut elementary is great, but just watch out office of child development. They were very rude, always look angry and I always felt ignorance from most staffs. There's only one very kind lady but somehow, she's not there any longer. The office ruin reputation of the school district. They should be better for the service.

Posted March 5, 2014

I have a daughter in her second year at Farragut and have almost no complaints. I feel she's been adequately challenged, has made great friends, enjoyed both of her teachers, and is really happy with school. The facilities are a bit old and outdated and it would be nice to have a fresher/newer looking school, but I understand that budget cuts just make keeping up the schools appearance difficult. The solar panels have been a nice touch though. I don't agree with the negative reviews about the school on here. Sounds like those parents have way to high of expectations for a public school and expect the school to raise their children, which just simply doesn't happen with public education. You have to send your kid to private school for that. Farragut is a hidden gem and I am so glad I moved into Culver City for my daughter to go there.

Posted March 3, 2014

Communication is awful at this school. Info is often not shared internally, and it's up to the parents to let the teachers know what the office is doing. Our four year old son was stuck at the school for over an hour after it ended while the teachers did not know to put him on the bus. Teachers do strange things like taping my son's shoes to his feet so he won't take them off, and refusing to help him heat up his lunch.

Posted September 27, 2013

Our new principal is a great fit for Farragut. Strong, sensible, pragmatic and kind. Programs are top notch. My daughter comes home squealing about her work on the iPad during her day. As the previous poster said..."handful of PTA parents running the school". How lucky are we to have that! As a full time working parent, I think that is our gift. There are dozens, upon dozens of parents that make up the beautiful quilt that is Farragut and the parents that help to "run the school" are dedicated, smart and give up countless hours to make the school what it is today. This is the why we have amazing programs, trips, gardens, iPads, afer school, book fair, festivals. We have an abundance of good fortune at Farragut. Please know that in any school- including middle, high school, college your child is not always going to get the teacher of their choice. True lesson to be learned in it all. You get what you get and you don't get upset. The community is what is important to me and if you are looking for that, then you have come to the right place.

Posted September 26, 2013

Farragut Elementary School is an AMAZING school. We have 2 kindergartner attending this year and both teachers have been amazing. Very strong parent involvement. Farragut's Teachers, PTA, Booster club, after school emrichment programs are amazing. The Teachers at Farragut are amazing and both my kids loveeee their new teachers. We are proud Farragut Foxes!!!

Posted August 22, 2013

Farragut Elementary School is one of the best schools we have experienced. Despite our school going through more than 3 Principals, Farragut's faculty, Teachers, PTA, Booster club, after school emrichment programs have yet to dissapoint me. Being an active parent and volunteer at Farrgaut I see what goes on behind closed doors. The Teachers at Farragut have earned my husband and my respect & trust them with our daughters education, we know the cricullium that is taught at Farragut is beyond our expectations. I am proud to say our daughter attends Farraguts Elemenary school, and could not think of another elementary school we would allow her to attend.

Posted August 14, 2013

Farragut is not as great as people say and I hope for a better year this coming year when there will actually be a permanent, full time principal. The school demands way too much from parents and asks for everything from stocking the teachers lounge with food and snacks, to continual donations for money and supplies to do all the class activities. I understand there are budget constraints, but seriously, I have my own family to feed! And my child's kindergarten teacher should not be a kindergarten teacher - very cold and did not know how to deal with 5-6 year olds. There is only one kindergarten teacher who everyone hopes to have and if you don't get her, you are in for a miserable year. The school has a lot of good activities and qualities that make it highly sought after, but I agree with another previous post that a handful of PTA parents control the school. There needs to be more balance and accountability. Also, the school work is not challenging and below what the children are capable of. It is sad that many of the teachers do just the minimum and the ones who are invested in the kids are too rare.

Posted August 5, 2013

Our kid's home school is La Ballona. We would of happily gone there, but we have a neighbor with older kids that couldn't stop boasting about how great Farragut was. We applied for a permit and our son was in. He is now in 5th grade and my daughter is in 3rd grade and now I cannot stop boasting about how great Farragut is! Lots of parent involvement, caring teachers and a strong emphasis on arts and science as well as academics! Our school is now scoring higher than El Marino.

Posted June 24, 2013

Very strong parental involvement (time & money) with the school. Excellent kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Tsubakiama. Great after-school programs, and a wonderful art teacher. I would suggest improving the kindergarten playground by sodding the dirt patch. The community is very strong. And I LOVE the annual science fair.

Posted May 14, 2013

I really like Farragut Elementary. Our experience with their teachers has been wonderful. They have been kind and patient and fully committed to educating our children and nurturing their maturation into good people. The community has been wonderful as well. I love the more down to earth feeling of the school compared to private schools I have had experience with. Many of the parents are really great with their involvement of time and money. I truly feel very fortunate to be able to send my boys to this school.

Posted April 25, 2013

I would say this school is Average. It is excellent for facilities and after school activities. But, those activities are poorly managed and lack oversight. The school does not have a principal for 2012-2013 school year. We are on our second interrim principal, so there is very little accountability within the school. The PTA controls the school.

Posted September 1, 2011

932 API for 2011! Go Farragut Foxes! Excellent teachers. Strong Principal. Involved parents. Engaged students. Our kids have excelled in every grade level thanks to everyone at Farragut Elementary. Thank you!

Posted August 18, 2011

The sense of community and extent of parent involvement is at the highest level I've ever seen. My children used to attend private schools and for the past couple of years, we have been blessed to call Farragut, our elementary school. Our kids have thrived academically and emotionally. They love the school and the memories they are building there.

Posted August 16, 2011

Farragut is not our home school but we feel so blessed that we got in last year. We wanted Farragut based on it's reputation. Farragut not only met those but it far exceeded it for us. I love my daughter's Kindegarten teacher and I know we will love any one of the 4 first grade teachers we will get. The parent involvement at Farragut is also quite remarkable -- very dedicated parents! It's a wonderful community and we feel so lucky to be a part of it.

Posted July 1, 2011

Cannot see a worst school than this. Horrible teachers. PARENTS DO NOT GO BY THE API. My daughter is in 1st grade and she has an horrible teacher. Principle doesn't do anything. She is very proud of her school. I had to remove my child in midyear because of the bad teachers. Only about 2 pages of homework given.

Posted June 13, 2011

Farragut is an excellent school in a great district. The thing that sets Farragut apart from other schools i've seen is the sense of community, tonsof parent involvement in all areas. Most of the teachers enjoy having help and most parents working or not can give some supplies, time or other contributions. The general hardship seen and felt at public schools is not as evident here because we all want to do what we can to save public schools in our neighborhood. Over all my 2nd grader has been very happy at school and I know my son will enjoy his K experience this fall.

Posted January 31, 2011

Our children attend Farragut, not because it is our home school, but because it came highly recommended by parents who already have children there. I'm impressed with so many things about this school. The teachers are not only exceptional educators, but they truly care about their students. The principal in her first year of leadership in 2009 took our school from an API score of 858 to 905! She expects, and gets, nothing but the best from her teachers and her students. I love that, as part of their curriculum, my children use a state-of-the-art computer lab and are exposed to many art forms: music, dance & an art studio that explores all mediums from clay to tile murals. Finally, I am thoroughly impresses with the parental involvement at Farragut. They volunteer tirelessly and generously and have inspired me to do the same!

Posted January 25, 2011

Strong leadership by a wonderful principal and a great teaching staff. Dedicated group of parent volunteers and lots of caring families. Lots of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities. Wonderful sports field, playground. Great garden! Amazing computer lab! The kids obviously love it, and they thrive academically and socially. Exceptional to this school is the higher percentage of involvement by fathers. Very pleased with our experience so far. Mother of a first grader and soon-to-be kindergartener.

Posted January 23, 2011

My son went to an excellent pre-school in Santa Monica and my wife and I were very concerned when the time came for him to go to kindergarten. We are Culver City residents and had heard that the school district was very good and on the rise. Nevertheless it was very scary going from private school to public. I must say that Farragut Elementary School met all our hopes in that his kindergarten experience was excellent and he continues to progress at the same rate as before. The parents we have met and interacted with show the same dedication and committment that we have toward education. We have been lucky indeed to have moved to Culver City which has shown a real committment to education. Farragut Elementary is an exceptional school and I recommend it without hesitation.

This school's

(2012)

10 / 10

9 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

10 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

9 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

85 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

85 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Females89%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 13%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

10820 Farragut Drive