La Ballona Elementary School

Public | K-5

Posted March 10, 2014

Maestra Orosco is a fabulous Kindergarten teacher. My daughter had her for Kindergarten and was comfortably reading and singing in Spanish. The school itself felt like a larger version of my home--some things/people I liked, others I didn't like or understand, but in the end it's all family. I felt that my voice was heard and that I could effect change when I needed to. Could be more parent involvement.. but hay.. that's life.

Posted November 20, 2013

Hello. I am writing a review because it was hard for me to find information on this school last year while I was looking. My child is in the Spanish program and I couldn't be happier. The school is amazing. In just a few short months he is already speaking. I love how non pretentious the families are and how friendly the staff is. My son is Caucasian, so he is a minority at this school. But I haven't seen any negative effects from this. He is thriving and I am thrilled. Don't overlook this school because of it's location, age, lack of information on the web. It is AMAZING.

Posted November 16, 2012

I am a parent of a kindergartener at this school and it is an exceptional school. My son is in the Spanish dual-language program and is already speaking and reading in Spanish and English. Parent involvement is very high at this school. Just because a school is Title I, does not mean parents won't be involved, does not mean discipline problems, does mean low-quality education. Many people would rather El Marino to this school as they have been doing dual-immersion in Culver City for 30 years, but you couldn't ask for a better school, staff, teachers and parents than what we have here and, frankly, I think the high population of Latino's at this school and not wanting to be the minority is what scares many of the "locals" away. Simply put, that's really just the underpinnings of privilege rearing its ugly head, IMO. These are some of the most dedicate groups of parents I have ever seen and they want the same things that any loving parent wants for their child: stellar education, teachers, happiness and academic achievement for their children. This is true for the Title I, Latina, White, Black and Asian families alike.

Posted October 26, 2012

My son is in the 2nd grade in the Spanish immersion program. Both his Spanish and English literacy skills are above grade level. His scores in math and science are terrific. I can't say enough good things about the teaching staff: They are incredibly attentive and experienced. They communicate and support one another. My son's teacher this year has already taken the class on a number of field trips that support in-class curricula. My son especially enjoys the math+music and jiji math programs. Parents are very involved and there are activities (e.g. family night, movie night) and fundraisers (fall festival, book fairs) throughout the year that support community building. There is a new principal this year who, so far, seems excellent. La Ballona is definitely a "great school" where kids can develop socially and academically.

Posted January 27, 2012

We are so happy with the Dual Language program at La Ballona!! My son is in the 2nd grade which is the group of students from the first year of Dual Language learning at La Ballona. Every year we have to wait until early September to find out who they have hired to teach that year's Spanish immersion class and every year we are so deeply impressed with the wonderful teachers who have been chosen to teach our son! This year my youngest will enter kindergarten and I have no hesitation about sending him to La Ballona. I have found the teachers to be truly exceptional and dedicated, the principal to be a really great leader for the school, and the parents to be very involved both in the classroom and as fundraisers for the school. I love the international group of students and the fact that the school is heavily Latino. For our (non-native Spanish-speaking) son this means that he is truly immersed in Spanish language and Latino culture not only while he is in the classroom, but also in the lunchroom, on the playground, and during drop off and pick up as many of the adults around him converse in Spanish. I couldn't be happier with the school!

Posted September 8, 2011

La Ballona is the hidden secret of the Culver City school district. Our teachers are amazing and involved. We have an outstanding Spanish immersion program, a strong Math+Music program, Actors' Gang program, SuccessMakers, and now a Growing Garden program. The list goes on. A lot of high parent involvement, now with a booster club that organizes events and after school activities. If you want to be part of an up and coming school, you should check out La Ballona.

Posted May 24, 2011

La Ballona has a reputation as the redheaded stepchild of Culver City Schools because of its ELL population and socio-economically disadvantaged student population. More parent involvement is occurring, and test scores are rising. However last year 49% of students overall and 52% of free lunch population tested not proficient in language arts. It's a tough school for any student who is slightly outside the box, meaning for students who fall far behind or who excel because teachers already feel too much pressure. My child attended for many years and ultimately left because of low academic standards and because tensions between admin/teachers/staff was interfering with quality of education. The teacher quality simply depends on who you get and their relationship with admin. Unfortunately, I've seen some teachers yell at their students in class and office numerous times in a humiliating way. Two teachers were sweet and kind though.

Posted May 21, 2011

La Ballona continues to shine with involved parents, enthusiastic students, and dedicated teachers. Our scores keep going up! Our Booster Club and PTA work hard to enrich the school's learning opportunities for students. The La Ballona Green Club encourages students to be responsible custodians of the planet. Our teachers are technology-oriented, multi-lingual, and caring. We are a diverse school! Shake hands with the world at La Ballona!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 20, 2011

We LOVE La Ballona! The Dual Immersion program in Spanish has been a fabulous experience! The teachers are the best and our principal is extremely committed to academic achievement, and is very approachable and responsive to the parents and booster club. All in all, we could not be happier.

Posted May 19, 2011

La Ballona has been awarded the California Distinguished School Award and boasts some of the most dedicated and professional teachers in CCUSD. The population is diverse and children go to school with students from all over the world. Staff and involved parents are very sensitive to the culturally differing needs of the stakeholders. The motived parent groups have worked hard to involve more parents in these difficult budget times and a wonderful espirt du corps has emerged because of it. La Ballona also offers non-traditional enrichment programs like an Acting Conservatory Program with The Actor's Gang (founded by Tim Robbins), 5th grade ballroom dancing and folk dancing from all around the world. There are also literacy programs and many kinds of exposure to performing arts. Families who are interested in La Ballona should speak to other families who actually attend this school.

Posted May 19, 2011

Both of my children attended La Ballona. They had wonderful, enriched experiences at this diverse and supportive school. The principal and staff are by far some of the most professional and caring adults I have had the pleasure of partnering with. This is the kind of school where the parents participate without looking for a pat on the back. They just simply get the job done. I am proud of the education my children received and I would highly recommend La Ballona to any parent looking for an elementary school for their child.

Posted May 19, 2011

I love this school, proud member of the PTA and Booster Club. Teachers are very great and seemed very involved.

Posted May 19, 2011

Since my kid started this year I've grown to love this school. The teachers are very involved, and the parents do so much to provide the necessities for them to do well. Overall I am glad I made the decision to send them here.

Posted May 19, 2011

The school is a great environment, well diverse, and the teachers are very involved. My kids love this school from the activities such as the October fest to the Success Makers program. I can only say positive words about this school.

Posted May 19, 2011

I have sent all 4 of my kids to La Ballona and they all have a wonderfull learning experience. The teachers are top notch which is why we had an api score for 2010 of 800 and is also a distinguished school. There is much parental involvement as it has not only a pta but a booster club. Anyone who says La Ballona is not a good school has not experienced it .

Posted April 21, 2011

My son is finishing his Kindergarten year in the Spanish immersion program and doing great! His teacher is fantastic and we have been very pleased with the curriculum. He is comfortably reading in Spanish and English, doing great art projects, learning about music in the symphonic music program, and enjoying going to school. I have volunteered in the classroom and seen first-hand the wonderful way his teacher interacts with the kids. The program is a full-day kindergarten (as opposed to El Marino's half day program) so our kids are getting more education at La Ballona. My only criticism-and these are just my issues and haven't effected my son at all-are that the school could have a better sense of community among parents and a larger grassy area for play. But all in all we are very happy with La Ballona!

Posted November 1, 2010

La Ballona is a gem. With a city campus, this school still manages to have wonderful play areas for the kids, while excelling at academics! With PE every day, a new Spanish Immersion program, and a Principal who really cares about each and every student, we couldn't ask for more. But the school could. With budget cuts, this money would mean more art programs for the upper grades, additional music programs for the first grade and much more. I vote for La Ballona Elementary!

Posted September 13, 2010

I find the overall rating of this school to be frustrating. The school has increased its test scores and won several awards for its academic improvement. The Spanish immersion program is exactly the same as El Marino. The parent involvement is increasing. All we need is for the school to update their own website!

Posted January 27, 2010

My son started at La Ballona and is now in 5th grade. My daughter is in 1st grade. They love their school. My daughter adored her Kindergarten teacher. I didn't think it was possible but she likes her first grade teacher even more! When my child comes home and plays 'school' and does her 'writers workshop' at home, making and illustrating stories, I know she's doing well. The principal is amazing and very open to ideas from the parents. My son has had great, experienced and dedicated teachers. These teachers come to the PTA and booster club meetings, volunteer at fundraising events and one 5th grade teacher stays after school on her own time 3 days a week to run a 'homework club' for 5th graders. La Ballona has the most experienced teachers in the district, a rich multicultural student body and fantastic involved parents. It really is a gem.

Posted January 26, 2010

My child is in the Spanish Immersion program in Kindergarten. She loves the school and the teachers. We have an amazing principle who has done great things with the school on the academic side. The new Booster club and the PTA are very involved and offer a great way for parents to feel they are contributing.

This school's
API score

853

Change from
2012 to 2013

API Statewide Rank
(2012)

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

7 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

111 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

81 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students64%

• Jennifer Slabbinck
Fax number
  • (310) 842-4298

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now