1,195 students|Cupertino Union

Bad
Good

A parent with a 6th grade boy: Kinda loading homework on a daily basis, teachers use/ provide lots of variety of online learning tool/ app., however, have a feeling they outsource those "fancy" tools to reduce their own duties. My kid loves this school, though...

Amount of homework: Agree

They give us around average homework, like in advanced math they give lots of homework, but in social studies, we have a homework project every month.

Develops character: Strongly agree

It shows honesty and fairness by the Advanced Math program. More than 50% of the students got it in 2015.

I'm not sure why so many people write about the cons of Lawson, which are all NOT TRUE. Lawson is a great school, and has an exceptional Special Ed program. I have seen how well all students are taken care of. The teachers are all great, and the electives they have are fun. The score is high, not beacuse we are all Asian, but because the teachers teach very well. Lawson is very friendly, and an exceptional school. There is actually very few events of bullying, and we have great countless that resolve any problems. The school is advanced in technology, having all students using iPads, which are much more conveniant. Lawson is located a few blocks away from the Cupertino Library which is convientiant, and chosen as a place of homework after school. All in all, Lawson is a, outstanding school.

I love this school it is amazing, the cooking elective is wonderful, overall I am amazed!

Our experience at Lawson has been ubstantially below expectations. We move regularly due to my job and this school has been possibly the worst our kids have been to. Academic ratings are very high, not because of superior performance from the teachers, but because most students extensively use private tutoring after school. Some teachers are good, but many are not and really don't care for the kids. We also had some bullying episods happening to our kids, which have been reported but nothing really changed. Overall, I would not recommend this school. For the money that you will spend with private tutors to compensate for the shortcomings of the teachers, you may as well send the kids to one of Catholic schools in the area, where they will be cared for properly. By the way, this is exactly what we are doing next year. Very disappointing.

This is the 3rd year @ Lawson for us. Not all teachers are great; some are below average and it depends on whom you get. I guess, CORE subject teacher ( Math,Science) is much better than SS & LA teacher. Also, kid on an average spends about 3 hours on homework/project assignment etc. Lot of emphasis on wiki, blogs etc. Most of the time, parent need to catch up with the kid to manage time, concept connection etc to maintain good grades @ school. Not good school, if the kid is not super super super intelligent/smart. Its sad to see that average or above average kids can't fit in this school without parent intervention to make them successful at school. No wonder why there're so many drop outs...education is made tougher instead of eliciting motivation to students.

In 7th grade now, and I've noticed they are helping us prepare for the real world. A lot of the things they are giving us, includes the use of the internet, and in real life everything is more of technology. But it really depends on which teachers you get, I was lucky enough to get some of the best teachers, but of course with any other school there are going to be those teachers who don't even seem to be helping. Last year in 6th grade the SS and LA teacher taught nothing in LA, my writing was worse than at the beginning of 6th grade. This school is great, but your child's eduction mainly depends on which teacher they get.

I was a student of Sam H. Lawson Middle School. This school is truly amazing, and found a place for all the kids there. I'm noticing a trend here, where all the students give stellar reviews, and some of the parents don't give very positive ones. I can really assure you firsthand that your child will LOVE it at Lawson. Everyone makes an effort to make every kid involved, included, and happy. If you are considering enrolling your kid in the CUSD district, choose Lawson Middle School! It made my experience in middle school incredibly amazing, and I will never forget the difference this middle school made in my life.

Lawson middle School! I am now currently in 7th grade finishing my 6th grade this year! Overall, I thought that this was a fantastic school! The teachers are very nice with the students! The education system is awesome! I don't think this school needs any improvements in behavior, academics etc. This school deserves a 10/10. I still don't understand, why people prefer Kennedy or Miller! Whatever it is, I think Lawson is a great middle school!!!

Last modified Sam H. Lawson Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.