D. J. Sedgwick Elementary School

Public | PK-5

Living in Cupertino

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $900,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $2,160.

In the know: Get our expert advice on schools

No articles are available

Posted June 9, 2014

Sedgwick USED to be a decent school. The main problem is the poor quality of teachers. Out all of my child's elementary school years, she had been put in a classroom with such bad teachers, year after year. I honestly wondered if they knew what they were doing half the time. Many times I feel like the teachers are really lazy. I visited my child's class one day and shocked by the way the teacher was treating one of her students. It resulted in the child going outside and crying. My child also receives unfair and biased treatment. My child is not perfect, but when there were problems, the administrative staff only listened to one side of the situations. Even after it was proven that my child was innocent, I never even heard one single apology from the student, teacher, and staffs. Also, teachers are there to set a good example for students. When they say something or promise the child something, that promise should be kept. Never has my child been so disappointed when that promise was broken. I really think the district should come in and set Sedgwick straight again. Incredibly disappointed in the teachers selection and administrative staffs.

Posted May 31, 2014

I had two kids attend this school. When my first daughter went, I thought that it was a great school. However, when my younger child attended, it seemed that the school's quality from teachers, to staff, to basically everything downgraded quite a lot. Maybe my child was unlucky and received the not so good teachers, but still quite upset with how the school treats my child. Overall, I am quite disappointed with the staff of this school, especially my child's past teachers. He/She is now a fifth grader and I honestly can't wait for them to get out of this school. Sometimes it seems like the staff looks down on my child and a lot of the times favor other students. Again, I am glad I have no more kids to put in this school. The quality of Sedgwick has gone way down the drain.

Posted October 28, 2013

I have four kids, three are older and in college and high school. My youngest just started kindergarten here and I am happy to know that most of the teachers are still here. The school/teachers does a great job creating a fun and creative way of teaching that instills the importance of learning. Compared to the other schools in the area, I am happy to know that the children are not stressed out or pushed into the 3 R's without the joys. My older kids enjoyed going to school everyday and even going to school after school for the social activities such as Ice Cream Social, Reading Nite, Movie Nite and going to the Scholastic Book booth. They created a great foundation for the love of learning and reading that prepared them for junior high, high school and college. I am glad that my youngest is enrolled here and look forward to a new/old experience at Sedgwick. PS. I could not list all the names of the caring teachers, the list would be long but a couple of them stands out Miss Choi, Ms. Gubler, Ms. Lin and Miss Yamamoto.

Posted August 22, 2013

my son studies here , i am very happy the way teachers teach and work on kids.

Posted August 14, 2013

My daughter has been going to this school for a year now and we really liked her 2nd grade teacher. She was very kind, caring and had a great attitude with the children. I volunteered almost every week and was very to see my girl enjoy learning.

Posted July 18, 2013

I have to agree with lot of parents that the front office is very snooty. The teacher are not at all accommodating ...u will meet them once a year. But I have to say overall the school is good.The environment is very positive for kids.they enforce discipline in kids.

Posted February 15, 2013

I agree with the posting about mean staff at Sedgwick. Tracy never puts a smile on her face and I have come to the office multiple times for multiple reasons. NEVER SMILE! The new principal provides poor leadership and ruins the good reputation for Sedgwick. I moved to Sedgwick this year because of the good rating but have been very disappointed at the adminstration and quality of teachers. Our family will definitely move to a another school next school year!

Posted February 6, 2013

I'm not sure if the school staff is posting positive reviews of themselves here, but I can confirm the earlier posts who say the office staff is mean. They are almost like bullies, but to believe it, you have to see it for yourselves. I didn't believe it until I visited this week.

Posted January 29, 2013

This is a great neighborhood school. People are friendly. Tracy in the office is very personable and goes out of her way to identify each and every student and parent by name. She will stop anything to help. Always a welcoming face. The principal is new and seems to have a good relationship with the students. Mrs. Wang is always friendly and available.

Posted January 29, 2013

I agree with the comment below regarding the new principal. I have tried to reach her several times but her front office staff is always giving excuses for her. She does not respond to emails or phone calls. She is zero help when it comes to listening to the parents. She has created a very antagonistic environment.

Posted January 8, 2013

***Front office staff are unfriendly and rude. Sedgwick is an adequate school with satisfactory teachers who are competent. If you have a chance, do ask to observe in the classroom. After doing so, I realized that the high academics are not because of teacher ability but because of the student's and family's high regard for academics. Overall, the school is diverse and gives a balanced education. The worst part of the experience would be the office staff. Whenever I interact with Tracy and Viviana I always get a very upset look from them, frowning, bad attitude (like I am bothering them for being in the office and need to ask a question). I always try to be polite, but they are always very snappy and sharky. I went in there with a friend of mine and I had not made mention of the staff to her before. She was also shocked at the "rude customer service". She said it was worse than being at the DMV. As parents, tax payers and interested parties, we deserve to be treated with kindness and caring. The front office staff are the face of the school. Right now the school has a very ugly face. I would like to see cheery, happy people replace these employees.

Posted January 8, 2013

I agree that the front office staff is very rude and unprofessional. My first experience with Sedgwick was speaking with the office staff and they were so rude and unfriendly that they almost had me in tears. The high scores at this school seem to be more because of parent involvement and/or because the children attended a better school before hand. My child's teacher cares only about following the curriculum to the letter. She does not want to give extra help to children who are struggling and certainly does not want to do anything to challenge students that are a head of the grade curriculum. If your child is right on track for their grade level then the school could be passable. If your child needs help or is more advanced then other children at the same grade then do not send your child here. They will not be challenged. Unfortunately the Principal is new and offered zero help.

Posted January 7, 2013

Our child has been in Sedgwick Elementary for a year now and we are very happy here. We were looking for a school that focuses on developing well-rounded and well-balanced, independent, and "whole" student, and yet still must have high academic achievements. So far this seems to be just the right school for us. We attended and enjoyed many of the school activities such as international food festival, ice-scream socials, picnics, movie nights, and met many parents and our kid's friends as well. We like the clean, safe, very family-friendly, and very walkable neighborhoods in this whole area. The community is well educated and reasonably diverse, with parents who care about their children's development. The teachers at the school are experienced, patient, and friendly, and the kids are happy there.

Posted September 14, 2012

This school has a bad community. Some teachers are nice, but be careful, a teacher who is a first grader teacher is designing and not be trusted.

Posted September 8, 2012

Sedwick has been a great school for my daughters. The PTA works so hard to make sure that the kids have a wonderful music, computer and PE program. My daughters second grade teachers was fantastic with great focus on science, reading and math. The science projects were very engaging and my daughter has grown to love it. The K teachers work as a team to teach our kids and have a great program. Great community all around.

Posted June 22, 2012

I have 3 kids attending Sedgwick for more than a year now. I am totally agree that Sedgwick is doing the right thing for our kids. The eldest boy is naughty, active and sometimes got into troubles. The principle and teachers helped us to discipline him in a fair and effective way. He now improved a lot. He is responsible and knew to take care of himself. He even woke up very early by himself and made to the soccer team and is extremely happy. Their soccer coaches are the best I've ever seen, 2 women teachers ^_^. My daughter and the other K boy love their teachers and school too. They are on the quite and smart side so not many troubles so far. Not all of the teachers will do things the way you'd like but overall the environment here is positive and ambitious. You can see their test score improvements year over year. Maybe next semester they will be in top as other schools in CUSD. Cheers!

Posted May 12, 2011

Mrs. Stokes a new principle at Sedgwick is awesome! All of the teachers my sons have had over past three years were exceptional. I was a parent volunteer who witnessed hours of classroom teaching that I base my opinion on. They have clubs, my son was in a computer club for an entire year mrs Sing is computer lab instructor really creative educational games. IEP teacher Mrs Husting helped my son greatly with his LD. Amanda Boyce the Title 1 instructor is the most caring & patient of all the staff. There is a CDC program on campus with a fun & caring staff as well. Sedgwick School also has 2 pick up & drop off areas that are very helpful for the busy parent. There are a lot of patent volunteers who contribute weekly. Many activities that involve family and instill in the kids a great sense of community. It's what the students & parents contribute to the school that makes a real difference:)

Posted May 9, 2011

Some Sedgwick teachers have a problem teaching boys. My son went to Sedgwick for 6 years (K - 5). All of his teachers were women. Two of them seemed to have a basic problem with teaching my son. After multiple meetings with each (these were different years) I concluded that they were unwilling or unable to deal with boys in their classrooms. If you have a son that is shy or withdrawn, then he might do fine at Sedgwick. At least he would be the kind of student that some of the teachers seem to desire. If your son is a normal boy, then watch out! You are going to have trouble. I don t know how they relate to girls. My suspicion is that very few girls get the kind of negative treatment they give to some boys. Other than that, this seems to be a good school.

Posted April 13, 2011

My son has been in Sedgwick school for 3 years. Overall, I am very satisfied with the school; my son is very happy as well. He has very good academic results and his teachers were all very nice and caring. Compared to other Cupertino schools, this school has slightly lower API scores as Sedgwick school has more diversity among students regarding their social and ethnic backgrounds, which is great. I highly recommend this school to everybody.

Posted March 22, 2011

I sent my kindergardener reluctantly thinking that there are better schools in Cupertino that Sedgwick. After being in school for even less than a year now, I wouldn't switch the school even if I had a choice. The teachers are very friendly, hard working and approachable. They are quick to respond which has helped us work with our child in ways that is effective for her. We also love the fact that the focus is improve the school for the children and to expose them to different things in a fun manner. In partnership with Discovery museum, they had a science fair last week that was really fun for the kids and the parents. They are working on getting new computers and doing fund raising in really fun creative ways. I can't wait for my second child to go to this school!

This school's

(2012)

10 / 10

5 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

10 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

5 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

101 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

101 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

86 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

86 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students83%

• Lisa Taormina
Fax number
  • (408) 253-2213

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

19200 Phil Lane