Cupertino, CA

Posted June 02, 2015
Agree with all the recent poor ratings. Those with children who attended years ago should not rate this school, because the quality has gone down in recent years. We were unfortunate enough to have bad teachers year after year, until we recently transferred out, despite buying a home in the neighborhood thinking we were in a great school district. There are good teachers, but there are also teachers who suck the joy out of learning for your child. We had those. The work was repetitive and not challenging if your child is ahead in a subject, and if your child is behind, the teacher doesn't really notice. It's a one-size fit all, and parents do the work. Aside from the teacher, the front office staff act like you are bothering them if you have questions. The principal easily thinks a child is being "defiant" when there are other reasons a child is not responding. We're sad we are not going to our neighborhood school, but since we've transferred, things are so much better and our child is so much happier.

Posted April 13, 2015
Wondering if homework situation has improved? I'd rather have NONE and give my own enrichment rather than ridiculous overload (both my kids are advanced).

Posted February 24, 2015
If you want to see your kids creativity and reasoning dying by memorizing 200 words and mechanize adding and subtractions, this is the right school for you. The amount of homework given to the students is to much for second grade. My wife and son spent more than 2 hour a day to finish it. If the students need to do that much homework, what are they doing during the day at school? Apparently arts, science and history have disappeared from the subject list in this school. I never saw or heard my son talking about other subject than spelling and math. He did t learned anything different than the 200 words and speed math solving Nothing relevant in P.E. also, It seams that running 2 laps around the track is all what the students do in P.E. I try to talked the teacher about the amount of homework and why not learning something else than math and spelling. I get an "These are the school district standards" for an answer We just change of school, this teaching/learning method is not for us. We think an holistic education and having fun while learning is important for kids self-steam and development

Posted September 22, 2014
There is no vigor in the school overall and most of the time school activities are centered around socializing. API scores were the worst in the district (YOY comparison) and the school does not seem to have a plan to remedy that. The school needs to build a stronger culture of learning and innovation, given the location of where we are.

Posted June 09, 2014
Sedgwick USED to be a decent school. The main problem is the poor quality of teachers. Out all of my child's elementary school years, she had been put in a classroom with such bad teachers, year after year. I honestly wondered if they knew what they were doing half the time. Many times I feel like the teachers are really lazy. I visited my child's class one day and shocked by the way the teacher was treating one of her students. It resulted in the child going outside and crying. My child also receives unfair and biased treatment. My child is not perfect, but when there were problems, the administrative staff only listened to one side of the situations. Even after it was proven that my child was innocent, I never even heard one single apology from the student, teacher, and staffs. Also, teachers are there to set a good example for students. When they say something or promise the child something, that promise should be kept. Never has my child been so disappointed when that promise was broken. I really think the district should come in and set Sedgwick straight again. Incredibly disappointed in the teachers selection and administrative staffs.

Posted May 31, 2014
I had two kids attend this school. When my first daughter went, I thought that it was a great school. However, when my younger child attended, it seemed that the school's quality from teachers, to staff, to basically everything downgraded quite a lot. Maybe my child was unlucky and received the not so good teachers, but still quite upset with how the school treats my child. Overall, I am quite disappointed with the staff of this school, especially my child's past teachers. He/She is now a fifth grader and I honestly can't wait for them to get out of this school. Sometimes it seems like the staff looks down on my child and a lot of the times favor other students. Again, I am glad I have no more kids to put in this school. The quality of Sedgwick has gone way down the drain.

D. J. Sedgwick Elementary School 5

Posted October 28, 2013
I have four kids, three are older and in college and high school. My youngest just started kindergarten here and I am happy to know that most of the teachers are still here. The school/teachers does a great job creating a fun and creative way of teaching that instills the importance of learning. Compared to the other schools in the area, I am happy to know that the children are not stressed out or pushed into the 3 R's without the joys. My older kids enjoyed going to school everyday and even going to school after school for the social activities such as Ice Cream Social, Reading Nite, Movie Nite and going to the Scholastic Book booth. They created a great foundation for the love of learning and reading that prepared them for junior high, high school and college. I am glad that my youngest is enrolled here and look forward to a new/old experience at Sedgwick. PS. I could not list all the names of the caring teachers, the list would be long but a couple of them stands out Miss Choi, Ms. Gubler, Ms. Lin and Miss Yamamoto.

D. J. Sedgwick Elementary School 5

Posted August 22, 2013
my son studies here , i am very happy the way teachers teach and work on kids.

D. J. Sedgwick Elementary School 4

Posted August 14, 2013
My daughter has been going to this school for a year now and we really liked her 2nd grade teacher. She was very kind, caring and had a great attitude with the children. I volunteered almost every week and was very to see my girl enjoy learning.

Posted July 18, 2013
I have to agree with lot of parents that the front office is very snooty. The teacher are not at all accommodating ...u will meet them once a year. But I have to say overall the school is good.The environment is very positive for kids.they enforce discipline in kids.

D. J. Sedgwick Elementary School
19200 Phil Lane, Cupertino, CA  95014
Last modified D. J. Sedgwick Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
D. J. Sedgwick Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 59 reviews. Top