631 students|Cupertino Union

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (3 responses)

D. J. Sedgwick Elementary School 5

Posted May 11, 2016
My teachers are great, and have always been that way. They are strict, but with a sense of humor too.

D. J. Sedgwick Elementary School 5

Posted February 19, 2016
Great instructors, professional and kind staff, fun and educational events, great curriculum, happy successful students.

D. J. Sedgwick Elementary School
Grateful to: Teacher

Posted December 15, 2015
Alexis Sharpe - she got our son started on the right foot (unfortunately her colleagues don't measure up)

D. J. Sedgwick Elementary School 2

Posted December 15, 2015
There's no way to say this other than the teachers are AWFUL. As a teacher myself I know the amount of effort good teaching takes. My son had a phenomenal first grade teacher but his second grade teacher should have been let go at the beginning of the year - no pride in her work, no understanding of individual student needs, etc. My son started hating school that year and consequently doesn't know a lot of his basic facts (which I review with him constantly). Second, third and fourth grade teachers were better but not great. For the cost to live in district it's really a shame. We are moving because of the poor education.

Posted June 02, 2015
Agree with all the recent poor ratings. Those with children who attended years ago should not rate this school, because the quality has gone down in recent years. We were unfortunate enough to have bad teachers year after year, until we recently transferred out, despite buying a home in the neighborhood thinking we were in a great school district. There are good teachers, but there are also teachers who suck the joy out of learning for your child. We had those. The work was repetitive and not challenging if your child is ahead in a subject, and if your child is behind, the teacher doesn't really notice. It's a one-size fit all, and parents do the work. Aside from the teacher, the front office staff act like you are bothering them if you have questions. The principal easily thinks a child is being "defiant" when there are other reasons a child is not responding. We're sad we are not going to our neighborhood school, but since we've transferred, things are so much better and our child is so much happier.

D. J. Sedgwick Elementary School 3

Posted April 13, 2015
Wondering if homework situation has improved? I'd rather have NONE and give my own enrichment rather than ridiculous overload (both my kids are advanced).

Posted February 24, 2015
If you want to see your kids creativity and reasoning dying by memorizing 200 words and mechanize adding and subtractions, this is the right school for you. The amount of homework given to the students is to much for second grade. My wife and son spent more than 2 hour a day to finish it. If the students need to do that much homework, what are they doing during the day at school? Apparently arts, science and history have disappeared from the subject list in this school. I never saw or heard my son talking about other subject than spelling and math. He did t learned anything different than the 200 words and speed math solving Nothing relevant in P.E. also, It seams that running 2 laps around the track is all what the students do in P.E. I try to talked the teacher about the amount of homework and why not learning something else than math and spelling. I get an "These are the school district standards" for an answer We just change of school, this teaching/learning method is not for us. We think an holistic education and having fun while learning is important for kids self-steam and development

D. J. Sedgwick Elementary School 3

Posted September 22, 2014
There is no vigor in the school overall and most of the time school activities are centered around socializing. API scores were the worst in the district (YOY comparison) and the school does not seem to have a plan to remedy that. The school needs to build a stronger culture of learning and innovation, given the location of where we are.

Posted June 09, 2014
Sedgwick USED to be a decent school. The main problem is the poor quality of teachers. Out all of my child's elementary school years, she had been put in a classroom with such bad teachers, year after year. I honestly wondered if they knew what they were doing half the time. Many times I feel like the teachers are really lazy. I visited my child's class one day and shocked by the way the teacher was treating one of her students. It resulted in the child going outside and crying. My child also receives unfair and biased treatment. My child is not perfect, but when there were problems, the administrative staff only listened to one side of the situations. Even after it was proven that my child was innocent, I never even heard one single apology from the student, teacher, and staffs. Also, teachers are there to set a good example for students. When they say something or promise the child something, that promise should be kept. Never has my child been so disappointed when that promise was broken. I really think the district should come in and set Sedgwick straight again. Incredibly disappointed in the teachers selection and administrative staffs.

Posted May 31, 2014
I had two kids attend this school. When my first daughter went, I thought that it was a great school. However, when my younger child attended, it seemed that the school's quality from teachers, to staff, to basically everything downgraded quite a lot. Maybe my child was unlucky and received the not so good teachers, but still quite upset with how the school treats my child. Overall, I am quite disappointed with the staff of this school, especially my child's past teachers. He/She is now a fifth grader and I honestly can't wait for them to get out of this school. Sometimes it seems like the staff looks down on my child and a lot of the times favor other students. Again, I am glad I have no more kids to put in this school. The quality of Sedgwick has gone way down the drain.

D. J. Sedgwick Elementary School
19200 Phil Lane, Cupertino, CA  95014-3566
Last modified D. J. Sedgwick Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.