Cupertino High School

Public | 9-12 | 2000 students

Posted August 17, 2013

Very friendly staff and a conducive environment for learning. Work load is very reasonable, letting students enjoy study and make time for sports and other extra-curricular activities. Graduating students enter top notch universities and have a well rounded development. Diversified student demographics make it attractive for kids to learn other cultures.

Posted June 13, 2013

Too bad all the Eisenhower & DeVargas students get sent to this high school which bring down the API at Cupertino High. People paying more per square footage in the area between Bollinger , Miller, Stevens Creek and DeAnza having to go to school with people in area with heavy apartment Complex that belong to Eisenhower school and also Devargas has much cheaper townhouse rental. Oh, I think some of the Collins elementary school has to go to Cupertino High too. Cupertino High students from Collins and Eaton score much higher than those that are from Eisenhower and Devargas. They should move them to Fremont High.

Posted October 3, 2012

I have a friend who moved to Cupertino last year. She goes to Cupertino High School now and she told me that it's amazing!! She's made lots of amazing, accepting, awesome friends there and she's really enjoying her high schools year at Tino!! I'm kind of jealous actually, Tino seems like a better school than where I'm at and I'd love to go to this school if I lived in Cupertino!

Posted September 21, 2011

My kid has been in Cupertino High for the last three years. She enjoys the curriculum, activities and teachers' teaching. This is a school that gives our kid a balanced student life. The courses can be very challenging but still have time to do other things. The staffs are very friendly and most of them are very devoted. My kid never needs to go to any tutoring schools but can still get excellent scores in SATs. Some other schools in the district may have higher API, but the parents paid big bucks to hire tutors for their kids. Some tutoring schools even have the customized courses just for the students from those schools. School is just one of the place that your kids learn. Home is the most important place to raise a well round child.

Posted July 4, 2011

Is an average high school in almost way, except that there is more of a focus on academics and less on sports. There a lot of cliques and stuck up people but there are also a lot of friendly and open people. Classes can be challenging and teachers range from being enthusiastic and helpful to not caring. Depending on who your teachers are and the people you encounter your experience can be very good or very bad.

Posted June 28, 2011

I have 2 kids going there. If you want your kids study hard and at the same time have a great time then it is for them. I attended my daughter graduation in June and was very surprised to see so many seniors got accepted to great universities like MIT, Standford, UC Berkeley, Davis, LA, etc.. They deserve it from a lot of hard work and I am so proud of them! Just do not expect to go there just to have fun. Definitely it is not for someone who doesn't take academic seriously.

Posted June 12, 2011

Cupertino High School was a huge let down for my first year. Even though I have only finished my freshmen year, I feel very strongly that I wasted my time. The student population is not diverse or large. 1700 students is little compared to other schools in the district. The school spirit isn't very strong. We are horrible at most of our sports; some teams have lost every single game. Most of the teachers I had are horrible. I learned more in my Spanish class in middle school than my Spanish class in high school. In one of my classes students get an average of a C on tests/quizzes. The teacher of the class seems to be blind and deaf; students get away with texting and talking. I'm glad that my first year is over. I might transfer to a different high school for next year. If you can, I suggest that you pick a different school than CHS, unless if you want to attend an extremely average school with no race diversity, poor school spirit, bad sports, oblivious teachers, and a small campus.

Posted May 24, 2011

I attend this school and with the exception of a few teachers, the rest are terrible. This school as a whole was a horrible experience. Overall, terribly disappointing experience and a total let down. I cannot wait until I leave this school and finally move on with my life.

Posted December 9, 2010

I am a student at this school and I am SOOO glad I go here. I was supposed to go to Lynbrook High School but I moved. Because I went to Miller Middle School I know what kind of people there are at Lynbrook. There, they are mean and make fun of you if you aren't as smart as them. In Tino, they wont make fun of you if youre at Alg. 1 or if you have a B in a subject. It isnt that the school sets a low standard, it is because the school is very accepting and nice.

Posted August 21, 2010

This school sets a really depressing atomosphere. The people here does not like going to school because its too demanding. My son has a math quiz every week and a math three weeks. And as if that's is not enough, he has to write a paper or report almost every week for like three or four of his subjects. Teachers from all this seven classes are demading a lot of homework which is rediculous. They should be encouraging to students to enjoy learning instead of shoving all those work on them.

Posted August 19, 2010

I would not recommend sending your child here. STAR test scores are deceiving. Sure, Cupertino High has a pretty good API score, but that does not reveal the true identity of the school. There are tons of cliques and there are very few dedicated teachers. Most teachers have obvious favorites. If you're not in the "popular" group, then you're experience at Cupertino High will be absolutely terrible. I regret ever choosing to attend this excuse of a school.

Posted July 5, 2010

I'm currently a student at CHS and all I can say is that this school is extremely average, and especially if you live in Cupertino, you'd might as well try and move to a different area to get into a school that has a more academically inclined atmosphere. The academics aren't great, the sports are pretty bad, teachers are average, students are open, but not the best influence. If you want a school with more opportunities and departments that excel, also with students that will be a better influence move to Lynbrook high school or even Saratoga High

Posted June 23, 2010

Basically, Cupertino is just an average school. I dont feel there is anything special about it. They do not offer as much as i think they could. The teachers do not seem as energetic or helpful like at my past school.

Posted October 9, 2009

Wonderful school, very nice with a lot of diversity and educational opportunities. Highly rated school and glad to be in it. Already 20 colleges on campus to recruit students.

Posted October 4, 2009

Great API, great teachers, well-rounded education for teens

Posted September 16, 2009

Not too big, not too small. Teachers really care. Lots of activities.

Posted September 4, 2009

There is no school around this area that I would rather be at! This is my first year in Cupertino and I am loving it. Cupertino seems very united, and excited about school spirit (the teachers and the students) And they pretty much have a wide variety of classes of different levels. People say that Cupertino ignores it's struggling students, which is not true! There is free tutoring after school in the library, and a class called tutorial that requires everyone to go get help from a teacher. But it also gives room for the star students to shine! The school is divided into cliques and groups, but most of them are non-stereotypical. But overall I would say everyone is very friendly.

Posted September 1, 2009

I'm a parent of a child who goes to CHS and i must say this this school has come a long way. My son is having a blast over at CHS. I have seen this school improve by leaps and bounds in the last 2+ years in particular. The new principal is great and has top notch leadership staff which i think has worked for this school. CHS have amazing teachers, good students, overall conduct is very good. Most importantly the school offers challenging courses, diverse course selection, counselers are flexible and willing to help and last but not the least 'diverse extra curricular activities'. High achieving students from CHS have gotten into UCs and other top-notch universities which speaks of the quality and overall academic exellence this school provides. Go CHS!!

Posted April 29, 2009

I m an ELD (English Language Development) student at CHS. To me, it s a great school. There aren t a lot of racisms here. Students are really friendly. You can be friend with anyone even if you re an ELD student. Compare to my middle school, people always teased and discriminated me because I'm an ELD student. Consequently, I became shy and embarrassed when people asked what classes I have. When I transferred to CHS, I thought that students here are like the students at my old school. Hence, when people asked the same question, I avoided saying that I m an ELD student. I didn't want my high school life to be like my middle school life. But once, I accidentally said that I m an ELD student. I was surprised when my friends didn t say anything and were cool about that. Thank for that, I m not embarrassed of being an ELD student anymore.

Posted September 8, 2008

I am very, very happy with the school and the curriculum it offers. It would be nice if they could offer AP Physics(since my child is not much of a Bio fan). But overall its safe and a healthy atmosphere;students who want to pursue have lots of opportunities. the teachers are great and focused.

This school's

(2012)

10 / 10

7 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

10 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

7 / 10

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

167 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

121 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

451 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

16 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

499 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

209 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

22 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

46 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

215 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

21 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

399 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

42 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

498 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

133 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

497 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

485 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

70 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

18 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

467 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

44 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

319 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

207 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

465 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

23 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students54%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)70%
Parent education - college graduate86%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate94%
Parent education - declined to staten/a

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Females96%

Non-economically disadvantaged13%
Students with disability0%
Fluent-English proficient and English only0%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

501 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

501 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students94%