Monta Vista High School 2

Posted November 15, 2014
beware of the post below - he states that he takes ap classes and gets straight a's. you are not allowed to take ap classes as a freshmen at MV-no matter how brilliant you are. as a matter of fact the only ap class you can take before junior yr is comp sci which you can take as a soph. not sure which Monta Vista high this student is talking about but it is not the one in cupertino. you may want to remove the post as it is bogus. also there are a far amount of drugs at the school.

Posted July 26, 2014
MATADOR PRIDE!!!! People outside MV think that MV is a "cookie cutter" school that only produces doctors and engineers and believes people with less than all A's are failures. THIS IS NOT TRUE! MV is the best school ever! As an incoming sophomore with straight A's taking AP classes, I've never felt stressed or depressed. For those people who can't handle high standards, I suggest them go to Fremont High. People may think we're nerds, but we're going to be the ones that will be successful in real life. I do agree that some teachers are harder than others but if you try hard enough, you will get all A's. I totally agree with the other student saying that at least we go to college. The sports programs are excellent and most of the jocks are also nerds. :) There is no gangster activity, drugs, or alcohol here! Freshman year was great, and I hope that sophomore year will be the same. People who say that us Mats overrate grades, GPA's, and extracurriculars way too much are people who will not get into a good college in the future. I love this school and would not trade going to this school for anything! PREPARE TO BE BULLDOZED!!!!!

Monta Vista High School 1

Posted July 01, 2014
Beware of the chemistry honors department. They do not teach anything, but put unreasonable questions that were not in the textbook on the tests. In addition, your GPA at Monta Vista will depend solely on which teachers you have. Some teachers are unreasonably easy, and give automatic A's, while some make sure they give none at all.

Posted January 20, 2014
Outstanding high school that outperforms virtually all open registration schools in California year in and year out.

Monta Vista High School 3

Posted October 06, 2013
I have son who is a junior a MVHS. He is doing well, but the amount of stress and lack of social life (due to kids doing only homework) concerns me. I will not be sending my younger children to school there as the kill and drill/memorization focus and the focus on "being stupid if you re white" or "Stupid if you don't have a 4.5 and 2300s on your SATs" is just old and does not foster the type of education I wish my children to receive. While some of the teachers are amazing, an equal number are unprepared, don't teach or just plan mediocre. If you want your child to get great test scores and be able to spit back facts, then MVHS is a good fit. If your child is creative, likes to think outside of the box or does not work well just memorizing facts, then look elsewhere. In addition, while my son has great friends, there is a culture of underlying racism and exclusions by some of the kids. BTW, I don't think this stems from the kids, but from their parents. Class choice is very limited given the size of the school and there is no individual attention. If your student cannot advocate for themselves, no one will do it for them. There are just too many kids here for that.

Monta Vista High School 3

Posted June 14, 2013
This school is over hype. Many families can afford private one on one tutoring for their high school students. This school is not responsible for their steller students. The students along with good parents are responsible at 80%. The staff really have nothing to do with it . Too bad these high schools in the local area got good ratings and the property value are getting way too high. . It has nothing to do with the schools, but the type of students that move into the area. This school cannot turn around those students that are incline to learn. I want the truth to be told. Most of the Asians in this school are Chinese, korea, Japanese, but Chinese being the higher percentage due to population size. The other large group of Asians are South Asians which are Indians. And about 10% of these students here are just born smart.

Posted February 09, 2013
Monta Vista High is one of the top schools in the nation, ranked as among the top on usnews website. I wasn't so sure what to expect when i entered as a freshman, but after four years, it's amazing to see how much ive grown as an individual. ppl here are very respectful and open and willing to work with you, and the teachers are also willing to help you if you ask them for it. academically, it can get a little stressful, but when i asked former monta vista alums about it, they said that mv really helped prepare them for college. everyone here has something special about them, so it's hard to stand out but it also makes for an interesting campus. it is possible to take hard classes, have extracurriculars, and enjoy high school life - football games, dances, prom - i know a lot of ppl who do all of those things. all the departments are well-organized, so you'll be kept busy all four years, with ppl to meet wherever you look. there are a lot of clubs on campus - something i didn't realize until junior year, so you can always find friends who have the same interests as you. bullying/drugs/sex/violence/racism is NOT a problem at this school at all - never seen any of that here.

Monta Vista High School 4

Posted October 28, 2012
I will try to be as objective as possible in this review for potential. I'm a freshman student and I really enjoy my time at Monta Vista. It's a challenging school, there's no doubt about that, and if your child is not getting As or better in most of their subjects, Monta Vista is not the school for them. Of course, it's not really all about intelligence though. To really excel here, your child needs to be dedicated or hard-working. If you aren't prepared to put in the effort, there's absolutely no point sending your child here. The teachers are very dedicated, nearly every single one has an afterschool club or lunchtime club, dedicated to helping students understand everything; which is definitely necessary, I spend nearly 3-4 hours on homework every day, excluding the extra-curricular clubs I do. I will say this, allegations of racism and bullying is really not true. Everybody here is so open and so friendly with everyone, simply because they haven't got the time to waste on making someones life difficult. They're much more likely to be studying!' However, with around 600 students in every year, the campus is loud and noisy, and it can be difficult to get the personal touch.

Monta Vista High School 1

Posted October 07, 2012
Monta vista kids/families spent too much time talking about how bad other schools are.....every Monta Vista student (does not matter if they are A or a D student)have this one thing in common......send your child to a private school where your child will learn to respect people if you are not happy with your school but NOT Monta vista....

Monta Vista High School 4

Posted February 13, 2012
Reading these reviews are shocking, I never felt miserable and stressed. I took my share of AP and honor classes, took math+science each year. I had time for music, dance, reading and volunteering. Stress was occasional, usually around finals week. I had fun with friends outside of school. It's academically rigorous, but not too so. Obviously if you're a failure who can't handle the pressures of learning, you're better off going to Fremont or Cupertino High. I didn't see any racism, maybe those crying foul mistook contempt from their peers for not trying harder as racism. I got into UCLA, majoring in Anthropology/Archaeology. Doing museum and field work over the summer. So much for a high school that only churns out doctors and engineers. It was my Humanities teacher who inspired me to go into the humanities instead of science too. Parents, if your child is bright enough, send them to MV. High school isn't forever, focus on the future. I was well prepared for college, courses were a breeze thanks to MV. The only thing I was unprepared for was the widespread drinking, drugs and sex on campus. But that just reinforces how disciplined and secure the environment at MV is.

Monta Vista High School
21840 Mcclellan Road, Cupertino, CA  95014
Last modified Monta Vista High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Monta Vista High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 90 reviews. Top