Hilldale School

Private | PK-8 | 100 students

We are best known for accelerated academic program.

Living in Daly City

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $402,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,480.

Sweep tile

Posted Thursday, April 17, 2014

My child is the most veteran student at Hilldale. Now everyone knows who I am. :) I have to say that as a working parent, I can go to work knowing I don't have to worry about my child. Not only is my child in a safe envirionment but she is learning from some of the most amazing teachers and faculty members who challenges her to her maximum potential. Academically and personally. The real benefit for me is knowing that my child is in good hands for long hours doing what Hilldale does best and having the peace of mind at work doing what I do best without worries. That is priceless. Love this school with passion!

Posted April 10, 2014

Our principal enrolled her daughter at Hilldale School in Daly City, evidencing its excellence in education. The small class sizes, accelerated curriculum for gifted and talented students, well-educated, intelligent, dedicated, loving, supportive administration, faculty, and staff provide a wealth of knowledge and a challenging and nurturing environment in which students can develop their many gifts and talents. Several of our students were award winners at the San Mateo County Fair. Yearly, students write Young Authors' Projects, some of which are published for the extended school community's enjoyment. Spanish, Latin, ethics, international studies, music, drama, art, and swimming are among the enriching classes students are offered. The many acred campus allows for hiking, environmental studies, and exploration of the natural world. Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM), reading buddies, Mandarin, instrumental music, student council, photography, cooking, and social justice opportunities are offered during and/or after school. From pre-kindergarten through eighth grade, students are expected to rise to the challenge of bettering themselves and their community.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 10, 2014

Hilldale school is an exciting and innovative program, which provides a stimulating and supportive curriculum for children to blossom!!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 9, 2014

The small class size makes this school a close knit community, which is the number 1 reason we adore Hilldale. Almost everyone knows everyone, the principal certainly does. My son is currently in the Pre-K program and judging by how much he looks forward to going to school every morning, I know Hilldale is the right choice. I can also see my son's confidence growing, interacting with his classmates socially and intellectually, and building his language skills.

Posted April 9, 2014

As a parent I'm impressed of how Hilldale School and the level of attention and engagement that the director and the teacher team brings to the students and to the parents. Over communication to the parents ensures we are part of the day-to-day school activity and have insight into what is going on. On the students side I see that the high values put in place both in the quality of learning but also the engagement with the student body and the community drives high student engagement. I'm glad our son is at Hilldale.

Posted September 15, 2013

When I first came to visit the school I was skeptical. Its "campus" is scattered among three old single-family houses, one of which is not even adjacent to the other two. My doubts were quickly swept away when I met the principal. I had not met an educator more enthusiastic about teaching and helping students. I was amazed when I walked into the kindergarten classroom and witnessed the students reading stories on their own and answering written questions in their workbooks. Hilldale's curriculum is at least one year ahead of most schools. When my son was in kindergarten, they were expected to solve two-digit-subtracting-one-digit arithmetic problems. Upon entering kindergarten, students were expected to read the book "Cat in the Hat" on their own. Hilldale's core culture is academics. If you share the belief that schools are for learning things that matter to "kid's life chances", then you will realize that how the school looks physically does not matter, and you will come to appreciate and like Hilldale. Hilldale is a great choice for families that have high expectations of their children in academics. It is among the most affordable private schools in the area.

Posted August 29, 2013

Both my kids attend Hilldale School and absolutely love it! From the day they had their assessment tests with Ms. Clayton, they were pampered with loving teachers who pay individual attentions and kind classmates who never tease or bully. The class size is small. The school's slogan is "rising to the challenge." And indeed, my kids constantly amazed me with how much they can learn and achieve at such a young age. The accelerated curriculum sounded daunting, but the kids can do it with ease with the proper level of encouragement and individual attention. After school activities are plentiful, ranging from drama, musical performance, chess, swimming, cooking to lego and dance. Most after-schools are included in the tuition. The tuition is the lowest I can find in the Bay Area of all secular private schools. The school encourages public speaking and performance and hosts at least 3 drama and musical performances annually. It was a delight to see my very shy child reciting long poems and singing beautiful songs in front of a big crowd! If you are looking for an affordable school with solid education and loving environment, you should check out Hilldale.

Posted August 22, 2013

My school is Hilldale School in Daly City, Ca. The teacher ratio is great because there are only 16 students in his class. The education is first class. The entire staff is dedicated to making the learning process challenging for the students. The staff is caring and prides themselves on knowing all of the students by name. This school is a great way for your child to start the learning process.

Posted April 24, 2013

The best way I can prepare my kid for a successful life is by providing a great foundation, and that is where Hilldale School comes into play. Not only do they provide an accelerated curriculum, but it is delivered with the utmost care. My child has attended Hilldale School for 6 years and I could not be prouder of the results. Hilldale has created a well rounded individual with a sense of community. I have 2 kids 7 years apart, and based on how well they prepared my older child to become a leader and a thinker, I revel at the opportunity to enroll my younger kid in this wonderful environment. Small classes with individualized attention. They've fostered the love for reading to each and every child in the school. My oldest child reads for fun, outside of school two or more books a week now. Drama, Music, Art, Spanish are offered as part of the curricula. Homework isn well planned to allow for work/life balance. After school activities like, cooking, lego, chess, soccer, swimming, dance, photography... Fields trips that are fun but have education on the forefront. Parents are very involved with the school and have built an incredible community.

Posted January 24, 2013

I found this school for my Pre-K daughter through greatschools.com. She is quiet by nature and has spent only one year in this country before admission. Her English skill was not sufficient that was why I chose Hilldale which seemed very caring and has small class organization. As a result, my daughter overcame the language barrier, forged friendships and now ready to learn. Pre-K director/ teacher Ms. Clotile is amazing. We have complete confidence in her.

Posted December 21, 2012

The Hilldale School in Daly City is definitely a hidden gem. Its small size keeps the students and their families very close knit. Our family has been part of the Hilldale Community for seven years, and it just seems to get better as each year passes. The quality of education is amazing, as is the quality of teachers who dedicate their time and effort. The principal of Hilldale and the staff manage to keep the students academically challenged, indiviulaized if necessary, and yet allow their creativity to show through in many different ways. The Hilldale Community thrives from the diversity of its students and celebrates the uniqueness of their culture whenever possible. This school offers the strong, solid academic foundation parents are looking for, as well the warmth and care children require to achieve their potential.

Posted July 30, 2012

Don't be put off by the modest appearance of this school. The Principal and owner set the tone by providing a sound educational philosophy and an expectation of high standards, both intellectually and personally. If you want a demanding and intellectually challenging curriculum concentrating on the basics, without time consuming and wasteful frills this is the right place. Hilldale truly has the feeling of a large family and everyone knows everyone else. I have never seen an unruly child there or a word spoken in anger. Our daughter was accepted by the finest high schools in the Bay Area including Lowell, Lick Wilmerding, Woodside Priory, Crystal Springs Uplands and Convent of the Sacred Heart.

Posted December 30, 2011

Excellent school. Academically solid curriculum. Richness of Music, Art, and Spanish. Extended year allows better coverage of topics. Very enthusiastic and well-prepared teachers make learning exciting. Culturally diverse, co-ed, non-sectarian. Warm community of families. Great price tag includes extended hours,

Posted August 21, 2011

This is a really great school. Its a great place to learn, a small community, and the teachers care about each student. The only thing I have to say is that this statement is not true: "Graduates typically go to: Lowell High School; University High School and Lick-Wilmerding University." After speaking with the graduates of 2011, I found out that this year is the first year anyone will be attending University High School or Lick Wilmerding (one student to each school), and the school has had one previous student that has gone to Lowell High School. Other than that, the most students have gone to Mercy (SF or B) and there have been years where there were no eighth graders. In 2010, there were no graduates. In 2009, they had one graduate who is attending Mercy SF. None in 2008. In 2007, there were four graduates (who are attending International High School, Lowell, Westmoore, and the fourth one is unknown). The only graduate before that (since the new owners) went to Terra Nova. So students typically go to various schools--not the best.

Posted December 15, 2010

Our decision to enter our son into kindergarten here forced as to truly look at what is important for child developement. If a brand new facility is the important goal then there are other choices. If structure based, intimate learning, where you as a Parent are involved, then look here. Many afterschool activities are included. Heated pool is now partially Solar heated. New projects are constantly being added. I like being involved where I can make a real difference and my kids see it also.

Posted December 14, 2010

If education is a top priority for your family then this is the school for you. Hilldale is a small, warm environment for kids to learn. My son has been thriving there for 2 years now and we couldn't be more pleased with his progress. The staff is incredibly dedicated and smart which they share with the kids. And for working parents, I don't believe there is a better deal for the price of tuition. Tuition includes the amazing before and afterschool program which saves us a lot of money and makes our life easier. Definitely check this school out.

Posted December 14, 2010

My son has been attending the preschool program and we all love it! The before and after school programs are a big benefit for working parents and the academic curriculum is way above what you find in other schools. There is a lot of parent involvement which leads to a great school community.

Posted December 14, 2010

When we went School Shopping, we stumbled upon Hilldale, it was had the teacher to pupil ratio was about 14 students per class. Anytime you have that the kids are getting a lot of individual attention they need to succeed . The challenging curriculum that the kids were mastering was a breath a fresh air compared to the public schools we visited, they are having the kids "rise to the challenge" by setting the bar high and working with children to reach the bar. We are very, very happy at the development of our First grader. I encourage you to go and visit, have your child spend a couple of hours in a class room and go visit a class and just watch the methods of teaching.

Posted December 14, 2010

We love Hilldale not only because of their excellent academic program, but also the philosophy such as world citizen awareness and social responsibility. If the children do well at Hilldale both academically and socially, he/she will grow up as responsible citizen. The school is culturally diverse, yet all the students get along with one another makes me feel like it s a small version of how the world should be. So what if the school building is old. We all are working together to improve our campus as a community and family.

Posted January 18, 2010

Great student to teacher. Awesome teachers. Overall development of students (not just academics).

Ethnicity This school
American Indian/Alaska Native 0%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Music teacher(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • "Best of Bay" award (2009)
Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Acknowledged for community service in Daly City (2010)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:30 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Sasha Clayton
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 4 years old
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Extended/longer school day
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Accelerated credit learning
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Honors track
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Drama
  • Improv
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Animal Care

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor