Danville, CA
Students enrolled: 2,158

Posted July 28, 2014
Sign up for the right classes (AP, Honors) and you will get an education that surpasses the education of other public schools. The school is full of wealthy students, which gives it a snobby appearance, but a lot of them are really compassionate. Some teachers aren't great, but they all have something to offer if you look for it. I recommend staying in touch with your favorite teachers after graduation. They're all friends here, and they all would love for you to visit after graduation. I'm glad to be attending a wonderful college after graduating with High Honors and receiving a merit scholarship. Take advantage of what you can because this school will definitely prepare you for the future. On the other hand, the drug culture is real, and as long as you're educated about, you should be fine. People do offer drugs here, but if you say "no", they'll respect that. This isn't an "innocent" school in terms of drugs and sex, but that's modern culture for you. The atmosphere is quite conservative when it comes to politics, but the majority of the campus is accepting of minorities, including LGBTQ.

Monte Vista High School 2

Posted March 25, 2014
Not what it used to be! What a great disappointment this school is now. The aesthetically impressive exterior campus only distracts the public from the monotony that resides within the classrooms. Monte Vista lacks the academic rigor it boasts and employs teachers who deviate from the state approved curriculum and who regularly use profanity in the company of their students. The principal sets the example for inequity from the top down: Discipline, school sanctioned events, conduct, enforcement of dress code and behavior code all vary from student to student and there seems to be no clear school-wide expectation. My advice to any parent interested in this school, use the "donation" amount you are EXPECTED to provide and apply it to a private education that delivers the product this school falsely advertises.

Posted July 24, 2013
I love MV! All of my teachers really showed they care about us and want us to succeed in college and life beyond. The athletics at this school is excellent as well and going to the football and basketball games are some of the best experiences of my high school experience. The spirit at this school is beautiful. Go to MV if you want to enjoy your high school experience and get a good education at the same time.

Monte Vista High School 4

Posted November 08, 2010
MV does a good job in preparing students for college. Make sure to watch you child, I am a former student (class of 2008), there is a TON of drug abuse. The school is avg. in my opinion. I transferred from a private school in my senior year. I found that the teachers did not care, and some were horrible at teaching (especially science department)! Maybe it was a lack of funds for experiments. Overall, the other classes were great!

Monte Vista High School 2

Posted September 14, 2010
We moved here a year ago from another state, and though MV has a reputation as an excellent school, I must say that we have been generally disappointed. Staff is generally unhelpful, downright surly at times. Customer service is non-existent. (I think it's a function of the school being too large -- they can't care about everyone, so apparently they don't care about anyone.) More distressing is the quality of teaching -- for example, we've experienced foreign language teachers who barely speak or read the language they're teaching. And, my student has spent a surprising amount of time watching movies in classes -- all classes, it seems -- many of which have nothing to do with course content. They're just wasting time much of the time. My impression is that the school may have once been good, but is now just sliding by on reputation.

Monte Vista High School 3

Posted November 19, 2009

Monte Vista High School 3

Posted April 09, 2009
Monte Vista provides exceptional teachers and a variety of classes to suit the interests of a multitude of students. However, as a current student there, I find that the number of students is overwhelming, and the 30 to 1 student to teacher ratio takes away from individualized attention. However, aside from the vast amount of people, I find that the school does an excellent job in preparing students for what lies ahead in college.

Posted March 14, 2009

Monte Vista High School 1

Posted June 06, 2008

Posted June 05, 2008
As a former student, I must say that Monte Vista prepared me very well for College. My teacher's told me that they're goal was to make college easy, and they succeeded. I attended the University of California, graduating a year early. The teachers are exceptional, the programs are extensive, and the AP/Honors program cannot be beat. I have seen the education quality in other high schools and have never found one to remotely approach the quality I experienced at Monte Vista. My younger brother is a freshman there this year and he has nothing but good things to say. Excellent job MV!

Monte Vista High School
3131 Stone Valley Road, Danville, CA  94526
Last modified Monte Vista High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Monte Vista High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 42 reviews. Top