Posted February 08, 2013
This is an outstanding WASC accredited school which has steadily improved under the current principal. ALL teachers are treated as assets and feel empowered to do what is best for the students. Those families who are engaged will find success for their children here beyond the excellent curriculum. The entire staff knows the names of all the students and demonstrates compassion. Safety is a priority and the current teachers do not "check out" when they are off the clock. Classroom management is extraordinary - teachers go to great lengths to modify the execution of their lesson plans ensure that all students succeed to the best of their abilities. For those considering public vs private it's apples and oranges. If you are looking for a professionally run school where the environment is conducive to extraordinary learning don't pass on the opportunity to explore this option to find out if it will work for your family. Be sure to ask the principal about "habits of mind" and her vision.

Posted August 28, 2012
The school is an excellent example of accountability, from the children to the parents to the staff. That would not be the first thing to come to mind in a public school. Yes the tuition is high, but it is only your childs education at stake. We have been here for a few years and have had nothing but positive things to say about the school. I know the current principal is working on a strategy to increase the upper grades enrollment which I have confidence will occur as she has assured me. At the very least I always feel my child is safe at school when I drop her off--peace of mind doesn't have a price tag affixed to it.

Posted November 16, 2011
Great school. The teachers are dedicated to the students, they provide quality learning experiences for all the students. The principal guides the school in a very professional manner and is engaged with the students.

Posted November 16, 2011
I'm fairly certain one or more of the negative comments below is sour grapes ax-grinding by a family who was uninvited back last year. I don't know if the teachers are credentialed or not, nor do I care. They couldn't be more gifted and caring. They inspire and motivate the kids and make them eager to learn. My son now spends his free time writing stories, something he hated before his teacher showed him how much fun it could be. On field trips, strangers notice the students' good manners and well-rounded curiosity and compliment it. The principal is a deeply caring woman who has thrown herself into making Merryhill great. She gives 100% and consequently the kids and staff do too. The kids like and respect her because they know she is always fair. When a conflict comes to her attention, she seeks impartial witnesses to get a full account and turns it into a positive learning experience. My own kids now use lessons and conflict resolving skills at home that they've learned from her. The assertion that she is "mean" is ludicrous. Her idea of fun is playing trucks and trains on the floor with the pre-k class. My kids like her so much they've even asked me to ask her to babysit! LOL!

Posted November 16, 2011
Merryhill is a great value. TEACHER TO STUDENT RATIO: The best in Davis. KIDS SUPERVISED 11 HOURS DAY (AT NO EXTRA CHARGE): For working parents, this school's hours of 7AM-6PM (supervised play 7-8:30AM and then a full schedule of after school programs starting at 4:00PM), means that you don't have to stop work in the early afternoon on the crazy Davis public school schedule. You don't have to pay extra for after-school care (although you can pay for special additional classes like ballet, tennis, etc.). For a family where both parents work, this is totally worth the price. SUPERIOR EDUCATION: When kids leave Merryhill, they are usually light years ahead of their public school peers. Tuition is a fraction of what you would pay for a comparable education in a larger city like Sacramento. GREAT PEOPLE: The teachers, the principal and the parents are all great people. I have recommended it to many parents who have recognized its value.

Posted November 15, 2011
am incredibly impressed with my kids' 2nd grade teacher at Merryhill. She is in fact credentialed (contrary to the prior reviewer's comment) and has 12+ years of experience. She also has experience as a former single subject math teacher, so she is really strong in math, which is not something that is common among elementary school teachers. She's also very strong in language arts and science. My kids' specialty teachers, including art, music, spanish, and PE are also super.

Posted November 15, 2011
We enrolled our son here on the recommendation of another parent. We have been more than pleased. The school is full of energy, the students are treated with respect and the faculty, staff and administration are very professional and caring. If you have a young student and live in the Davis area this is the best learning environment I've seen.

Posted November 15, 2011
I love this school. My daughter has been taught so many successful strategies to excel in school and in life. She looks forward to school everyday. I am just so impressed by how the students treat each other and how respectful the staff are with the kids.

Merryhill School 2

Posted November 09, 2011
We have decided to pull our kids out of this school, the quality of the teachers is hit and miss. this school is definitely over priced, they make $ off the kids every chance they get. The not so new anymore principle does not have much to offer, in addition, I have caught the principle being mean to the students behind the parents back, and act nice and smiley in front. Leaving me with that " icky' feeling, and wonders how my kids are being treated when I am not around.

Merryhill School 1

Posted September 19, 2011
We were pretty underwhelmed with the quality of teachers at Merryhill. Many of them lack a basic teaching credential. Merryhill is very much a "chain" type of school, like McDonald's. They view your child as a paycheck and have little interest in their development, etc. The school is very rigid- the children must salute the flag every morning. The classes are disorganized. Parents often choose Merryhill for its after-care program, which is an organized daycare setting.

Merryhill School