4-12|Private

Bad
Good

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Teachers go above and beyond a typical school by utilizing many different techniques without giving up on the kids. It is truly a special staff at Winston

Amount of homework: Agree

Our kids have to work so hard all the time, that the mediocre daily homework, along with any major reports going on is sufficient. Since my daughter has attended Winston, I have never struggled with her beginning her homework. Winston makes it the Student's responsibility, just like the real world. If you do not complete it, there is always a consequence.

Develops character: Strongly agree

This school offers all of that. By the time you discover Winston, most likely your kid has struggled socially and academically. Winston Staff and Students welcome your kid and reassure them that school is going to be great and they will never be treated poorly again. It takes lots of pressure off the student and parents too!

The staff is pretty stable for a non-public setting which makes a huge difference for our type of kids. Mike Peterson, Headmaster, hires staff that really, really cares about the student abilities which they encourage and inabilities which they assist to improve. It is a highly supported program with small classroom sizes to really get the students on board academically and socially. The school uses a hands on approach for learning which assist with kids that need assistance with auditory processing. This school truly prepares a student academically and confidently for a college or work environment.

There are a number of reasons why we love this school but the results really speak for themselves. Four years ago we were not sure if our son would graduate from high school. Now, not only is that not a concern we are finishing up his college applications. Not all students learn the same way. Winston completely understands that and works with students to help them achieve. As importantly, they work to build up the confidence of students who may have felt like failures or become discouraged with school work. The growth in our son's self confidence impacts so much more than just his grades. I wish we had started at Winston before 9th grade. Middle school was such a difficult time and the school system just didn't have the resources to help him the way they did when he was younger. Winston has changed the lives of everyone in the family and we thank them for it.

Winston School is an outstanding educational opportunity for those students who have any form of learning challenges, or disabilities. From the very getgo, the staff and administration, along with the teachers are incredibly gifted/talented to optimize and maximize student learning. Moreover, this school was the FIRST school that my son attended where there was zero tolerance of "bullying" by any of the students. The atmosphere for social interactions, self-discovery, and educational challenges allowed my son to have greater self-concept, self-worth, and experience the "victory" of academic learning. There is no greater gift than helping a child become more academically prepared for life and its many challenges!! Winston School provided a "highway" to success as a student, as a musician, and as a self-confident teenager! Bottom line: Winston School is the type of academic setting that should be the norm for all educational schools -- public OR private :))

The Winston school is not a good school to go to. The teachers are really not good teachers at all at the Winston school. The school really should be shut down because it is such a bad school and also half of the kids who graduate from there don't even go on to college. So i hope that parents open there eyes and what the Winston school is all about and realize that there just throwing there money away.

The Winston School saved my son's (and my) life. I truly believe that. Before we found The Winston School, we tried all sorts of different schools. Public school, charter school, tutors, online school, 3 different schol districts in one year. None of them fit. The first day at The Winston School, my son told me "it felt like home." They recognize my son's high intelligence in some areas and severe learning disabilities in others. I remember getting "the look" at other schools. Why couldn't I get my son do the work? He is lazy, etc. The Winston School is truly a team, along with the parents and child. There is never blame, only a team working together to help the student. He is thriving there and if I ever won the lottery, The Winston School would be at the top of my list to give a million dollars to! Thank you Winston!

We are grateful to the wonderful staff at Winston that took so much care in the academic and social development of our son. He would have surely been a statistic(not a good one), if he had stayed in the public school system.

My son attended Winston for most of his education. He is now in college. He would not have graduated high school or be in college without Winston. They understood his particular learning difference and worked with it. He learned to read by finding letters in the scratches under the table. He taught the class some of the chemistry chapters in high school (with the teacher right there to make sure it was correct). His intellect was able to shine past his disability. They taught him to get the tools he needs to be successful and he has.

Last modified Winston School is a Private school that serves grades 4-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.