Del Mar, CA

Del Mar Hills Elementary School 1

Posted June 19, 2015
If I could give this school 0 stars, I would! There is nothing "academy" about this place. It's a mediocre education for average students. My son was in the 1st grade and brought home NOTHING week after week for me to check so that I knew what he was doing. When I asked his teacher about it she insisted that they don't send home the work they are doing because everything goes in to this magical portfolio at the end of the year. What that really meant was that they were going to hide what was NOT being taught all year long and put it in a really nice folder so that it looks impressive. The papers that I got back on the last day of school were about 2 dozen writing assignments and some pictures. There was no math involved in it whatsoever. No wonder our country is falling apart. The kids spend all day drawing and painting and not incorporating math. I have spent most of the year teaching my son at home on top of his full day of school just so he won't be behind when we move on to a different school. Open house consisted of 5 paintings on animals for their science unit. How about some writing assignments on them. Let's research those animals and present on them instead of the kids saying 2 sentences about their favorite food. If your child is above average intelligence then do NOT send him/her here. Check out the Heights school across the street, or better yet, go private.

Posted May 31, 2015
Great school with awesome teachers. Love the small school feel. Happy to see many parents' participation either in classes or events.

Posted November 02, 2014
Small tight-knit community. Cross-pollination of subjects, so art reinforces concepts from science and social studies. 1:1 chrome books for grades 3-6. All the teachers have been great except 1 (out of 11). Highly recommend. My kids love it there.

Posted December 18, 2012
I love this school because it is so fun and my kids love it i have3 and all of tthem went to the hills and loved i have a 3rd grader that still goes and says that every day is beter than the one before

Posted August 21, 2012
I absolutely love this school! Del Mar Hills is a small public school with a private school feel. The teachers are excellent and the parents are very involved. It feels like there is a great sense of community and school spirit.

Posted August 27, 2010
Excellent school. Del Mar Hills Academy of Arts and Sciences provides a top notch education in a small school setting! The teachers and staff are excellent and the parents support continued growth at the school. My daughter attended elementary school there and my son is currently enrolled. I am thrilled to be part of such a vibrant program! The combination of arts and sciences provide a balanced education and my children have excelled as a result. The principal and the teachers continually impress.

Posted May 11, 2010
Del Mar Hills Academy has an integrated Arts, Science and Technology program that encourages children to think creatively. It's a small school where the children know each other and the older children are encouraged to help the younger ones. The teachers are amazing and work well as a team. We have a principal who supports the staff and listens to the parents. At the Hills, we also have a very active group of parents who want the elementary school experience to be the best it can be for the students - so that the students love learning and become the best they can be. I am very proud to be a parent and a supporter of Del Mar Hills Academy.

Posted May 11, 2010
Del Mar Hills Academy has a wonderful school culture and climate. The school is small and students, staff, and parents all know each other. The integrated Arts, Science, and Technology program is particularly strong thanks to excellent Specialist teachers. Parents are actively involved in school activities in and out of the classroom. Teachers seem genuinely happy to be at the school. The environment is friendly, warm, and constructive.

Posted April 21, 2010
Very small school. Teachers and staffs are nice and kind, they know every children. Children know each other, either. They have good PC program for learning math, work hard on art, music and science.

Posted April 04, 2010
We transferred from private to the Hills this year and we are stunned with the exceptional quality of the education at the Hills. The combination of teaching staff, curriculum and Academy approach is very special. The Hills Academy approach emphasizes integrated learning. Very few schools in the country get this right - the kids literally learn about a subject and experience it in every discipline. Nothing teaches problem solving, reinforces learning and results in a more well rounded education than integrated learning. The Hills is a hidden gem.

14085 Mango Drive, Del Mar, CA  92014
Last modified Del Mar Hills Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Del Mar Hills Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 41 reviews. Top