Evergreen Elementary School

Public | K-5

Living in Diamond Bar

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $400,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $2,190.

Posted June 29, 2014

Evergreen is great! This year it was named a Distinguished California School and Exemplary Arts School. All my kids attend Evergreen. Every teacher is wonderful. 2 of my kids had the older teacher mentioned before and we all loved her. Her specialties are computers and math. My kids said she made math fun. I worked in her room weekly and I will say she is strict, but very soft spoken and calm. My kids did many "inspiring" projects and stunning art work. She keeps a collage of family photos on a small bulletin board near her desk that s why kids know about her family and hobbies. I think it adds a nice personal touch. Most of the teachers have similar displays in their classrooms. It lets the students see that they have families, interests, and activities beyond teaching. I understand that this teacher along with two other teachers will be introducing a new STEM program to the school this next school year. That doesn't sound like someone who's counting the days to retirement. Evergreen's principal is great too. She has brought many new programs to the school since she s been there. I feel privileged that my children can attend such a fabulous school.

Posted June 5, 2014

This review is based solely on one teacher at Evergreen who did such a bad job of preparing my child for the next academic school year that she makes the whole school look bad. I won't name names because this website won't allow details like that, but if you have a child who is going into 3rd grade, please be very careful to avoid the older third grade teacher who is just waiting for retirement. My child knew details about the teacher's personal life, the ages of her sons, their hobbies and jobs (one is a musician, the other, a cop), her texting habits during class time and instructional practices such as punishing students for asking questions or making them sit with their hands on their heads for long periods of time but my child did not come home with a single writing, math, or craft project that was worthy of keeping. We waited all year thinking things would get better but in the end, there was absolutely nothing that was special or inspiring about this teacher. For the children who didn't do well in her class, she would tell parents to pay for tutoring. We just wrapped up the school year and I am really sad for the wasted year.

Posted August 29, 2013

This school is always the reason we moved to Diamond Bar, the teachers are wonderful. The Principal understands, is very caring, and very smart. The school is in a very safe environment. Daycare staff is very supportive, my son loves his school. Academically they are advanced to the previous school my son attended. I am very happy with this school.

Posted December 5, 2011

We are very pleased with our decision to send our child to this exceptional school. The principal is friendly, involved, and really goes out of his way to make school a place where our child wants to go. Dr. Trimmer is the best. Although there is a steady influx of Asian non-English speakers, the teaching staff does their best to keep the pace needed to prepare the children for the next grade level. We appreciate their focus on the core subjects. The field trips have been educational and relevant. The office staff is a little nit picky; but they do try to be friendly. The Community Club does an amazing job providing the school with the resources and volunteers needed to make Evergreen the best school in the area. The PE program is fun and our child looks forward to the weekly activities. Overall, we feel Evergreen was the best educational choice we could have made for our child.

Posted April 26, 2011

My child has been at Evergreen for two years, and I could not be happier with our experience there. The teachers are fantastic. They truly care about the children and about helping them to grow and thrive in every way -- academically, socially, and cognitively. The teachers are also very generous with their time outside of school hours. They are always willing to meet with parents who have concerns or questions, and they actively participate in the school's extracurricular efforts (i.e. Bookfairs, School Carnival, etc.). Evergreen is a wonderful school!

Posted November 2, 2010

We are new to this school this year. My son is in 5th grade. I am extremely pleased with this school. The curriculum includes art and P.E. and Music! I am astounded at the qualifications that my son's teacher has. She is really very very good. My son needed to be more organized in 5th grade and his teacher has really gotten him into shape! He has discovered the saxophone thanks to Everygreen, they have have a great music teacher. As for the principal, he has a big job to do! but if you read his musings in "The View From the Office"you will see just how much he really cares for the kids. I found this enlightening, as I too thought he seemed unapproachable. We are happy that we left Ranch Hills and came to Evergreen. A much better education for sure. Wish we had been here for K-4th!!!

Posted June 1, 2010

Principal looks rigid and it seems like some parents in the community club will get some favorable treatment by the principal. Besides, this school does not put in efforts in cultivating children to learn other subjects than English or Math. We went to Rowland Heights District school before, where they offer music in their daily curriculum. I feel regretful in transferring him here.

Posted November 16, 2009

I second what another parent said about the Principal. He is not approachable at all. Teachers for the most part are excellent! They have a strong academic curriculum. However, I feel that they focus too much on preparing for the standardized tests to maintain their API scores. School should be more than just testing and more testing. It should be a place for not only learning, but also have extra curricular activities that are fun and enriching. I also agree with what others have said about the Community Club. The head of the ECC is tough. Her approach sometimes come across as abrasive. In conclusion, I believe Evergreen is a good school. However, if given a chance to attend other schools in the district, I would consider going elsewhere. Thank you.

Posted November 4, 2009

I feel blessed to have my child at Evergreen. The wonderful teachers, staff, volunteers, and parents are what make the school great for our children. The Community Club seems to do everything that they can to help the school be still one of the best even with the cuts that the district had to do. If you are looking for a great education with people that care all the way around, I would recommend Evergreen.

Posted April 15, 2009

This is my 2nd year as a parent at Evergreen. The principal is not too friendly. The office staff is ok. Ms. Wong is more approachable and friendly than the other staff members. Teachers are hits and misses. There are a few that are topnotch while others are just mediocre. There academic program is good. If given a choice of other schools in the district, I would opt to send my children elsewhere. I was fooled by the API scores and did everything I can to get my children into this school. At this point, I am questioning my decision.

Posted February 20, 2009

We are very fortunate at Evergreen. We have an outstanding Principal who puts the students first every single day. The office staff is amazing. The teachers at Evergreen are some of the best in the District. I have been a parent here for over 8 years. For many of those years, I wasn't involved with the Comminity Club. I have been involved now for 3 years. It is a great group of parents who work hard to ensure that EVERY student has the same 'opportunities' to enrich their educational experience. I volunteer ALOT, and I have never asked for or been offered special treatment with student/teacher placement. To be very honest, every teacher here is worth requesting. If you are considering our school, know that you are welcome and we would love to have you come to a Community Club meeting and get aquainted. -JF

Posted February 18, 2009

Evergreen has a good principle, a group of excellent office staffs, excellent teachers. But the community club is really disappointed consisted with tough charactor members, which push their children to get all the benefits and oppertunities. Is this what the community club suppose to do for the community?

Posted April 26, 2008

Evergreen has provided my three children an exceptional education. The teachers focus on building up the whole child, not just the academic. Although academics are high on its priority list, the staff and administrators work hard to teach the kids about character, personal responsibility, and leadership. We have been very happy with this school. Parents are extremely involved; it's a great community of people.

Posted April 21, 2007

I'm very impressed with then New principal at the school , hes pro -active and is making it a point to have this school run smoothly ... I love there new discipline guidelines that were just implemented ( example: enforcing and more respectful interaction between kids ) I see only positive changes. I love the front desk staff there personable and do what they can for your kids ... Susan your the best! I love the changes ,

Posted May 30, 2006

I have one child attending the school. As her first year, I was surprised to learn how structured the academic curriculum is for the younger children. If the child falls behind, it seems the parents are responsible for the extra review that is needed, not the teachers.

Posted May 17, 2006

I have 3 children at this school and cannot be happier with the quality of the teachers and the education they're receiving. My fourth grader is already learning pre-algebra and geometry, and the science courses are very advanced (what causes earthquakes, what's involved in making light bulb light up, etc.) For better or worse, there's a lot of homework, and take home projects like science fair (which is optional but everyone does it). Even Kindergarteners have homework (mostly reading), and have weekly spelling tests. The parents are very involved in the school. In the earlier grades, virtually every parent shows up for orientation and parents' night. Many parents also volunteer in the class rooms.

Posted June 24, 2005

Parents are very involved in the school. They assume many leadership roles on various committees. There is an active Community Club. Students do very well at this school. Teachers do an excellent job!

Posted May 11, 2005

My daughter has been in this school for 9 months. She is in the kindergarten and I am extremely happy with the way she is progressing. The curriculm for kindergarten is intense and often times involve the family which my husband and I think is great. Our daughter comes home and discusses what she does in class and is always excited about learning.

Posted February 1, 2005

Evergreen Elementary is one of the premier elementary schools in this district. Its scores are always at the top and the programs that are available here are great. What makes me most surprised about the successes at this school are the obstacles they overcome: the diversity, the students that come in with english as a second language in their homes. This is truly a committed staff.

Posted September 20, 2003

Evergreen is an outstanding school! Our daughter has had amazing opportunities to learn from educators who work as a team and are devoted to their students. The Community Club (in lieu of the PTA in other districts) works hard to support the students and teachers of Evergreen. The parent volunteers are a tremendous asset to the school.

This school's

(2012)

10 / 10

1 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

10 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

1 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

All Students79%

School start time
  • 8:10
School end time
  • 2:25
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school