K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Posted April 12, 2016
My four year old son is finishing his first year at Mt Calvary's preschool. We had him go twice a week / half day. I'm amazed at what he has learned in that short amount of time. I would definitely say it is not baby sitting. He is being taught kindergarten curriculum in math and writing. I see him more advanced going into kinder then his sibling did two years ago (went to a different preschool). I've also been impressed with their constant teaching of the bible and how it's intergrated in daily lessons. My son has grown academically as well as spiritually. As a result, we've decided to enroll both our kids into their k-8 program next year.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted April 12, 2016
Preschool (4 year olds) do get homework. It's not mandatory but suggested. It's one worksheet a day. Very helpful at reinforcing what they learned in class.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted April 12, 2016
I feel they are committed to teaching Christian values. There were times when my student did not demonstrate them. The teacher and I worked together to address the behavior and get him back on course.

Mt. Calvary Lutheran School 2

Posted February 20, 2016
I wonder what kind of Twilight Zone there is out there for people to actually rate this a great school. It boggles the mind. Note how MANY 1 star votes there are folks. My son went here a few years ago, and although we are not big church-goers, I wanted an alternative for him from a public junior high school. On the outside it looks great, a cute little campus, some religious instruction. Nothing worked out how it appeared to, with the exception of the two very sweet office administrators. They were consistently nice people, and I wish there were more teachers in that mold. Let's go down the list of wonderful events. My son's homeroom teacher ran a classroom that was just this side of out of control. My son had complained in the past the the class was so noisy he had trouble focusing on his work, but then I saw it myself when I came in during class time to give him his forgotten lunch. Mayhem. Ok, mark that off to a bad day, although my son told me that was typical. His teacher (who has since moved back East), told him point blank one day that because his mother was of Jewish background (the class was sharing stories of their background and family) she would not be going to heaven. She said this in front of the whole class, several kids giggled. Isn't that a nice Christian, loving place? When he had troubles picking up his grades, and issues with other students, the school recommended an off-campus "counselor". After several sessions and then a conference, I found out they were trying to understand "what is wrong within your child". Crazy, right? The kids, which will be kids, were very cliquish. My family was always being pushed to "join the church", for which many of the kids belonged. We weren't interested in that. We just wanted my son to go to school there, not join the church. The "pastor" was visibly irritated when we would push back on that. Another teacher--who was not my son's, several times told my son he was fat and needed to lose weight. Fat. Isn't that sweet, reminds you of Jesus doesn't it. My son left, and of all things, went to public junior high, did quite well, and loved his teachers. The problem was not him, it was that school. Avoid at ALL costs.

Posted April 22, 2015
We love Mt Calvary Lutheran School. The academic program is impressive. The staff and administration provide a pro-gram that is seamless and focused. Learning is taught in an environment that promotes critical thinking across the educational spectrum. the children are taught Christian character values, self reliance, accountability, time management skills, and research skills in addition to the academic program. the skills my daughters learn at Mt Calvary Lutheran School were immediately recognized by their high school teaches and are in force today in their lives. Two Valedictorians and one Salutatorian. You can't do that at a unified school district.

Mt. Calvary Lutheran School 1

Posted March 21, 2015
Under no circumstances should someone send their child to this school. While the pre-school is a wonderful and loving environment, the elementary and Jr. High-school is staffed with burnt out staff who lack the knowledge to adequately compete with the nearby public schools. The small class environment is not by design, it is due to dwindling enrollment and loosing students as a result of the poor climate on the campus, the lack of any form of significant school based after school activities, lack of effective sports program and outdated academic techniques. Management is poorly run by a principal who needs to retire and should certainly not be teaching in the classroom as her use of shaming students is abusive and not conducive to a good learning environment.

Posted June 25, 2013
My two children have been a part of the Mt. Calvary Lutheran School family for four years now. I cannot praise the school enough for their academic excellence. Both of my children are in advanced mathematics classes and we anticipate our 8th grader completing Algebra II by the end of 8th grade! The close parental involvement and caring teachers make all the difference. I would recommend our campus to any parent who is looking for a Christian based, strong academic program, that focuses on each individual child's learning abilities.

Mt. Calvary Lutheran School 1

Posted June 19, 2013
I have a child that attended this preschool. And was planning to have my older child attend K-8. The administrator and principal should be ashamed to call themselves Christians. They couldn't even be upfront to us about our child. We did not appreciate the disparate treatment. Send your kids elsewhere. I am glad I found a better school.

Posted March 11, 2013
I have one child who completed preschool and now is in kinder and another child in preschool finishing his last year. Our family loves the school. One main reason we LOVE the school is because my husband and I both feel safe and secure when we drop our kids off everyday and that means the world to us. Another reason is the education the kids are receiveing is amazing. We really love and had a great experience with all the staff in preschool, kindergarten, and school admisitration.

Posted May 07, 2012
I have two children attending this school and could not be happier. As with any school, teacher, or staff, there are bound to be personality conflicts, differences of opinion or an occasional occurrence that will offend someone. Bottom line is that my children are getting much more than just a quality education. I enjoy that the children from different grades interact with and know each other by name. Being able to start team sports in 5th grade and compete against other schools in volleyball, basketball, flag football, and track are all great opportunities for the kids to grow. There is a very strong feeling of community between the students, parents and staff at this school. I imagine that if you are the type of parent that sends your child to after school and weekend school on top of their standard schooling, you may well have a different opinion of your experience. But, if you enjoy being part of your child's life and desire that they have a safe and loving environment where everyone, staff and parents, will go out of their way for your child, Mt. Calvary is the place for you.

23300 Golden Springs Drive, Diamond Bar, CA  91765
Last modified Mt. Calvary Lutheran School is a Private school that serves grades K-8