766 students|Downey Unified

Bad
Good

I have two children who attend Lewis Elementary School (1st and 4th grade). I have been extremely pleased with the calliber of teaching. The Kindergarten teachers work as a team and they are phenomenal. In addition to this, all of the teachers that my two daughters have had go above and beyond to assist the students with learning. They find ways to weave in science, social studies, and art despite the state's rigorous push toward mathmatics and English language arts. The school climate is one of learning, sharing and this is truly a school where Character Counts. Students are rewarded and praised for their hard work, great character and great attendance. The only thing I would add to this school is more programs and opportunities for Gifted and high achieving students. This is really a Downey Unified School District issue as there are little to no programs or special opportunities for the Gifted or high achieving students. Overall, I want to commend the Lewis teachers, staff and administration for devoting so much time to the learning of our students.

All the personnel of Lewis takes pride of their job. Mrs. Martin is such a positive and enthusiastic Principal that she transmites it to teachers and students as well. The quality and interest of the teachers reflects on their students grades. Good Job LEWIS!!

Communication with the teachers is phenomenal, their use of technology to stay in touch with the parent saves time and worry about interrupting their class time...I can send an email and get a response the same day when I have a question. They are inviting and embracing of sharing and engaging the parents in the learning experience of my children. I love working with the PTA and the schools leadership in making the school a better place for our children to learn. As a new parent to this school, I am thus far pleased. Great Job, Lewis

We love Lewis Elementary. Both of my children have had very positive experiences over the last four years. The office staff is very helpful. We have only good things to say about Lewis.

Im proud of the school, the principal, teachers, and the staff very nice, they listen to any concerns, that the parents had. Lewis is the best!!!

This is my first year of involvement with Lewis. So far it is great. The K-2 teacher is wonderful. I feel she really cares about my daughter. I get a report each day and can talk to the teacher at any time. The class size could be smaller when the blue stars get there, but she is doing the best she can with what she has.

My child is attending Lewis for the 3rd year. It is my opinion that the Principle, Teachers and Staff are top notch and very motivated to go beyond the call of duty. Parent involvement is a must and is exemplified at Lewis. Lewis sets goals and together we will achieve them! Go Allstars!

Last modified Lewis Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.