PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

My then 2 year old son went here for almost a year but the traumatic experience still lingers. Never have I ever felt like such a bad parent than I did when I would have parent/teacher/admin conferences which I would leave and cry in my car. I was always to blame for any issues my son had and I always had to "fix" it somehow. The teachers are nice but inexperienced especially with discipline, behavioral issues, communication and consistency which is key for his age. I was shocked when I got "spoken to" several times about the fact that my son had pooped in his pants during the time that he was potty training. I mean if you don't remind him every 30 minutes or so to use the restroom he will forget like any 2 year old! I spoke with several behavior therapists, got 7-10 hours of behavioral, speech etc therapy, as the school demanded I request, from the regional center and they still could not handle my son. I was told he was just hitting kids "all day long" by the school but the therapists said the school was too lax and inconsistent. There was just too many things to list. On his last day I heard other parents complaining about some of the same issues I was having. This school had my child making complex art which you will notice walking in but hours of sitting and painting or cutting is not what an energetic 2 year old wants to do every day which in turn lead to him acting out when forced to sit for long periods of time. Bottom line I would highly recommend avoiding this place unless your child has never had any behavior outbursts, acts like a robot, and has zero problems sharing or having kids bully them. Also plan on random days off throughout the year that they do not provide care about 50 per year that they still charge you for. After changing him to his new preschool I have never seen such a difference in him and his care and it prompted me to write this review. His new place communicates daily, has very experienced staff, and laughed when I asked if they needed me to add the behavior therapist and other therapists to his daily schedule. He is a normal, now, 3 year old and together the new school and I team up and coach him using the same techniques towards learning to share, using words instead of hitting and overall good communicating to others.

Our daughter has been attending FOA since 1st grade and the growth we have witnessed in her academics and personal growth are astounding. The small class sizes, attentive teachers and challenging curriculum have brought out the very best in her. The school programs nurture the relationships between the older and younger students which helps create an empathy and bond among the student body that you will not find anywhere else. The science, math and language classes really challenge the kids and seem to be producing confident critical thinkers.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teachers are hard working and truly dedicated to these students. I am on campus very often and witness how hard they work and how attentive to the kids they are.

Amount of homework: Agree

I think the homework load is too heavy in 2nd and 3rd grade, but seemed more reasonable in 4th and 5th.

Develops character: Agree

As with any school, there are behavioral challenges addressed everyday. I think the administration does their best to handle things appropriately in this challenging politically correct society.

The small class size allows great student-to-teacher interaction and attention. The environment enables kids to grow and blossom to their full potential.

We have 3 sons, two of which are still at FOA, and the oldest (14) is at La Salle High School in Sierra Madre. We are so pleased with how prepared our oldest son was for high school - not only did he test into multiple honors classes, he earned straight A's his first report card in high school! Needless to say, we are thrilled with how well FOA prepared him for high school and highly recommend this school. There is a definite benefit to small classes and a serious curriculum.

After trying a few different early programs, we are SO happy we found FOA. Our first grader has been here since Pre-K. The teachers are outstanding on so many levels, both personally and professionally. And the course work is both challenging and rewarding throughout each grade. The small teacher to student ratio and personalized attention really show through. We were amazed how quickly our child was focusing, learning, retaining and enjoying her work. FOA is excellent at deciphering and getting through to each child. The course level is still surprising as well. We re always saying, "gee, I can't believe they're learning that already, how wonderful." And when our little 1st grader came home and started speaking simple French, we were thrilled. It s worth mentioning how often we notice the older students being so thoughtful and caring to each other and the younger kids. It's remarkable. We see it all the time. The student body is made up of some really outstanding kids. FOA is competitive and places its students in some of the best private high schools around, and most importantly, it helps children grow into the best people they can be. We are so happy with our choice.

Great little school! Small classroom sizes and very attentive teachers. Average class size is 10-15 students.

FOA is a great school and the best value for your money in the foothills city areas. I should know as I have all 3 of my kids educated by the techers at this school. The school has excellent teacher to student ratio. Teachers are attentive, highly engaged in making sure that each child does the best he/she can in the class. Kids from this school have been accepted by the leading private schools in the area. School is non-religious it is located on the grounds of the church but it is not affiliated with any church and it does not teach religion. I highly recommend it.

Last modified Foothill Oaks Academy is a Private school that serves grades PK-8