PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I love Miss Danielle. She has taught prior to this for a number of years and I have learned so much from her.

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly agree

I was actually worried that with my sons behavioral issues that he would be the one hitting. He was also the smallest one in school. I think he tried once and that was immediately dealt with and he never tried again. They nurture a culture of really caring for each other and you can see that in the kids.

Supports LD students: Strongly agree

ABSOLUTELY. My was in 7 hours of therapy a week (Not it is down to almost 4) for learning, speech, physical, occupational and behavioral. They allow the therapists to work with him when they need to and make accommodations to have a room for his therapies. They would even report back to me about how he was doing in therapy and what to work on in school. They celebrated each milestone met and specifically worked with him on the ones he hadn't met.

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

Absolutely! My son came in with a lot of challenges and this school really came along side me and partnered with me through his many issues. This school does what is best for the child and the leadership knows each child by name and lets us know where they are out and how they are doing to make each child successful.

Develops character: Strongly agree

My son is 2 and his teacher has managed to help him be a good listener (this is quite a challenge). I noticed that when anyone is having a bad day she really compassionately makes that child feel special and gets the class to help each other.

I had visited several preschools before finding Foothill Oaks Academy. My 2 year old had several issues with speech delay, fine motor skills, behavior, balance and was is several hours of therapy per week. We started at this school and all of his therapists were amazed at his progress. They attributed a lot of it to this school. While at this school my son has blossomed and improved so much. His speech has come along, his fine motor skills have greatly improved to the point that he actually can cut with scissors (child safe of course) and draw. He loves music class and even sings the songs he learns. The other children are so nice and they get along so well. When we arrive and leave they all come and say hello and goodbye to each other. The teacher Miss Danielle is wonderful and very experienced. My son is super strong willed and he will do anything she asks and loves her. I also just expected a few finger paintings to bring home but they do several fun art projects and get to learn how to paint with different mediums. My son has learned all of his colors, most of his numbers and letters and he is only 2. My son is also super high energy and has learned to love reading and of course loves all the fun things to do. My son would not be thriving like he is without this place. The preschool is filling fast and for good reason. I am so glad I managed to get in as there is a waiting list now!

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

Since he is in preschool there is no homework but he does want to do things he learned at school when he gets home.

I found this school by taking a detour from the busy Huntington Drive. And at the same time we were looking for a close to home preschool for my 2-year old son. In short time after first day of school, our son has been attached to his teacher. He talks about her everyday and tells us about his teacher. He improved so much in independence. We couldn't wait to hear about his day at school everyday. The preschool program taught our son to be independent, well sharing, properly use new words, and be creative. We loved to see all the cute art work ea h student made in their classrooms. Now it's his second year of preschool at FOA, we still see improvements in our son in many way.

My then 2 year old son went here for almost a year but the traumatic experience still lingers. Never have I ever felt like such a bad parent than I did when I would have parent/teacher/admin conferences which I would leave and cry in my car. I was always to blame for any issues my son had and I always had to "fix" it somehow. The teachers are nice but inexperienced especially with discipline, behavioral issues, communication and consistency which is key for his age. I was shocked when I got "spoken to" several times about the fact that my son had pooped in his pants during the time that he was potty training. I mean if you don't remind him every 30 minutes or so to use the restroom he will forget like any 2 year old! I spoke with several behavior therapists, got 7-10 hours of behavioral, speech etc therapy, as the school demanded I request, from the regional center and they still could not handle my son. I was told he was just hitting kids "all day long" by the school but the therapists said the school was too lax and inconsistent. There was just too many things to list. On his last day I heard other parents complaining about some of the same issues I was having. This school had my child making complex art which you will notice walking in but hours of sitting and painting or cutting is not what an energetic 2 year old wants to do every day which in turn lead to him acting out when forced to sit for long periods of time. Bottom line I would highly recommend avoiding this place unless your child has never had any behavior outbursts, acts like a robot, and has zero problems sharing or having kids bully them. Also plan on random days off throughout the year that they do not provide care about 50 per year that they still charge you for. After changing him to his new preschool I have never seen such a difference in him and his care and it prompted me to write this review. His new place communicates daily, has very experienced staff, and laughed when I asked if they needed me to add the behavior therapist and other therapists to his daily schedule. He is a normal, now, 3 year old and together the new school and I team up and coach him using the same techniques towards learning to share, using words instead of hitting and overall good communicating to others.

Our daughter has been attending FOA since 1st grade and the growth we have witnessed in her academics and personal growth are astounding. The small class sizes, attentive teachers and challenging curriculum have brought out the very best in her. The school programs nurture the relationships between the older and younger students which helps create an empathy and bond among the student body that you will not find anywhere else. The science, math and language classes really challenge the kids and seem to be producing confident critical thinkers.

Last modified Foothill Oaks Academy is a Private school that serves grades PK-8