K-12|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Greatschools.org is a wonderful place to post a review about a school. I love checking out reviews myself. I know, however, when I am investigating even something as trivial as a new restaurant, to take each review with a grain of salt. It seems that most people who post a review either love or are really dissatisfied with the business they re reviewing. Few people feel compelled to comment when they simply have a satisfying and fulfilling experience. It s the extremes that give folks the urge to post, especially on a website that protects their anonymity. We want everyone to have a fantastic experience at our school and are proud of our commitment to meeting the emotional and educational needs of our students to encourage further social and academic exploration. If a student or parent doesn t have the experience he or she expected we want to make it better, but we can only do so if you take advantage of our open dialogue and let us know. We realize that Quarry Lane isn t for everyone and that families have other choices. We are, however, just right for our 850 families who continue to re-enroll year after year. Additionally, we ve gotten great accolades from Bay Area Parent Magazine readers who voted our School the Best in the East Bay for several consecutive years. This magazine has a readership of over 130,000 in the East Bay and almost 8,000 ballots are completed for the Best of Bay Edition. Please visit our website at www.quarrylane.org and see the news feed that has an updated list of where our students have been accepted to college, a great measure of success. Feel free to contact me any time for any questions you might have. Casey Johnston, Director of Admissions, The Quarry Lane School, cjohnston@quarrylane.org.
March 25, 2014

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)

Develops character: Neutral

My child witnessed kids being overtly disrespectful to teachers, particularly in non-math/non-science classes. The general culture is focused on being competitive in math and science.

I share the view of the poster from Aug 27, 2016; some kids and families will be happy here and some will be miserable. Those who favor an "Eastern" (world, not US) academic culture and style will likely love the school. My kids in middle and high school were so miserable we pulled them out and moved them to other schools. In fact, our whole family was miserable. The school is strict (not necessarily consistently enforced) with discipline and schedule, academically challenging, gives a large amount of homework (not all of which is collected or evaluated), and is top-college-minded. My children have always attended college prep and international schools. My HS student did find the classes and teachers at Quarry Lane engaging and of high quality. Extracurricular activities exist and are a available, in theory. However, my child was discouraged from participating in them in favor of focusing on academics. If you are looking for a more "typical" HS experience, this may not be the best choice. However, if you want a HS experience focused predominantly on academics, this may be a good fit.

Some kids do okay here, some are miserable. To be fair, I'll give advice instead of a review so that you can find out if it's right for your kid. Before sending your kid there see if he or she can do a 3-day visit. It takes at least that long to get a sense of the place. If not possible, then at least 1 day, but ask for the full day's homework too. Get more information on the school's performance. Ask for the list of colleges that accepted their students last year or the year before, BY YEAR, instead of the same running list of every college that ever accepted someone from the school in the last 25 years. Ask for the test score comparisons against other INDEPENDENT schools, not just the national public school average. The local public school district is already ranked high and their students score above the national public average. You'll be paying an independent private school tuition, so you should know this school's performance against others in the same category. If they give you data from several years ago, ask for the missing recent years. You want current relevant info, not hand-picked data. See if you can ask students and parents about their own experience. Not in the presence of a staff member though. Ask how many hours a day is spent on school work. Really consider if the workload is doable for your kid or lifestyle. If it's the 'Best of the East Bay' thing that lured you, the other poster who said parents are prompted by the school to vote is correct. I wouldn't call it "forced" but they definitely use emails and reminders to vote, vote, vote. General advice: really do your homework. This is a huge commitment of resources and energy you'll never get back.

Friendly staff, great teachers and they care about your kid. Yeah, it's expensive but worth it. My kids have learned a lot and happy.

don't waste your money and don't ruin your kid's childhood. This school is expensive but nothing. Don't care about bullying and moral. School force the parent to vote the school for the best private school. This school is joke.

Teachers very helpful,small classes,excell academic,won so many awards from best pre school to high school.

I am a parent of a talented and motivated 5th grader at QLS. We have been members of the QLS community since pre-K and have been positively impressed by the curriculum until this year. The new engineering elective is not a true elective. The students must "test" into the class, and if your student does not get placed, then you are stuck without an elective at all, comprising 3 periods per week of "filler" content that teaches little to nothing of relevance. We have decided to leave QLS after this school year, as we cannot justify the tuition based on the quality of instruction provided by the 5th grade curriculum. We have decided to use the $18k we would have spent on QLS tuition next year on extracurricular activities that will advance our child's educational experience beyond what public school offers.

I totally agree. Mrs. Brown was a great teacher for my daughter. So was Mr. Chow, the math enrichment and engineering teacher. Where else could you find a school where 4th graders get to take an engineering class? My daughter learned to solve problems because she needed to finish a project, not to finish a worksheet. The "special" classes like music, computers, and engineering really set this school apart from anything else out there.

My daughter is in 4th grade and we absolutely love her teacher, Mrs. Brown. My daughter has grown both academically and socially this year due to Mrs. Brown's teaching methods. She teaches the students to be critical thinkers instead of just memorizing facts. The music teacher and computer teacher are also great teachers and wonderful people. My child really feels safe and respected. As long as you don't need to deal with the authoritarian elementary principal, this is a great school.

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted March 25, 2014

Last modified The Quarry Lane School is a Private school that serves grades K-12