Bad
Good

No school is perfect, but Dougherty comes pretty close. With all the changes/challenges that are happening with common core, the teachers here have been doing a great job with the transition! Yes it is unfortunate that tests are not sent home, but this is a district wide policy that teachers at all schools were told to follow. Our child's teacher shared this information with all of the parents at Back to School Night. Whenever a test was coming up she always sent home a reminder ahead of time. She also sent home the test scores so we knew how our child did. If there was ever any concern about grades all we had to do was ask her if we could see the test. We went over the test with our child in the classroom after school and it was no problem at all. The teachers at Dougherty truly do all they can to help our children succeed. We are extremely lucky to live in Dublin and have access to so many great schools. It's a great city no matter what part you live in!

Dougherty elementary school is a great place to be for our kids , the teachers are awesome , the staff is really friendly and helpfull , and most of all this school has got the greatest principal of all time . I have 2 girls , my first one graduated from Dougherty last year and she is doing great in middle school . My second daughter is in Kindergarden and I can't believe how quickly she starts reading and writing by her self . Thanks to her great teacher . Thank you Mr. Nelson , you made this school one of the greatest school in our area.

Very disappointed in this school. All class work is kept in lock and key. Any tests that are completed are kept under lock and key. We have to make an appointment to see the work but we cannot take it home. In my day, tests and work went home. My parents would show me what I did wrong and would have me retake the test and see if I could do any better. We do not know anything other than a score. We cannot even work with our child/children as we do not know what they need work on. I got a tutor for my child and she asks what parts does my child need help in and I cannot tell her. I am paying money hoping that the tutor is working on the stuff my child needs help on. How can our children improve if we cannot see the results of papers, tests, math, science until the end of the semester. It is a nightmare.

Both my children attended this school, as a whole experience we liked the teachers and administration, nothing is perfect but my kids got a great education and life experience.

The principal Mr. Nelson is outstanding. He is very energetic and very nice to kids. He has brought great activities for the students in school. The teachers are great !! Only issue is with the staff in the school office who are very rude.

My school has a great principal that does great activities for the students and the surrounding community. I really like the running Dolphins program to encourage running at an early age.

I would have rated the school five stars but didn't because my son's 5th grade teacher, Mrs. Molzen wasn't very good. She was absent multiple times which had a detrimental impact on the students. This resulted in her rushing at the end and finishing the syllabus just a few days before the STAR test. Additionally, she seems sometimes unfair in her grading. If the school wants to keep the high standard and continue to impress with increasing API scores, some changes need to be done and teachers need to be more highly qualified.

Pleased with progress after kdgn and 1st grade. School selected as one of the Distinguished Schools. Reserving opinion this year. Some changes, some concerns--time will tell .

My son went to Dougherty only for kindergarten. So my opinion is only for a year and should not have the same weight of other opinions. My son was assigned to a classroom with a teacher with two great defficiencies. First, she wasn't a nurturing teacher. Second, she had the habit of speaking very fast. She had some other good qualities, but the two problems above can make a lot of damage in a K-student, especially when English is not the language spoken at home. We tried to fix this issue by bringing it to the attention of the principal, who clearly took the position of the teacher. That's fine, that's her job. What really bothers me of the whole thing is that the burden of the proof was placed on us. No follow ups about the teacher's peformance. No performance improvement plan for the teacher, despite the fact that she, in my opinion, is not the best qualified teacher for that age range. Maybe for older kids. I didn't get the feeling that the school's community is as strong as others. Best of the school: the extended day care program has very commited and nurturing teachers. Thanks to Mrs. Colleen, Miss Kathie and Miss Amy.

The new principal is a tyrant. She is uncooperative and is forcing great teachers to leave Dougherty. She does not get along with the parents and despite being a so called advocate of anti-bullying policies is herself a BIG BULLY that treats her staff like.... well, a bully! Unless this changes Dougherty and the children there will have a questionable future. Concerned Parent.

Last modified James Dougherty Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.