No rating

St. Philip Lutheran School

Private | PK-8 | 150 students

Our school is best known for it's nurturing staff and great curriculum!

Living in Dublin

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $425,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,980.

Posted May 18, 2012

I highly recommend St Philip School. I'd suggest you make an appointment to come visit and interview the teachers and students. Come and observe for yourself. Our family has attended St Philip elementary school for two years so far. The teachers are so amazing. One of many great things about this school is parents get feedback from the teachers not only on the students' ongoing test results and progress, their strengths, and their behaviors, but also areas needed improvements on. They find ways to deliver lessons effectively and creatively. When the students already meet and exceed the state and school expectation, the teachers challenge the students to the higher levels. The students like it because they are proud of themselves. I believe that a good learning starts from early years of school. Better build a strong learning foundation so the kids don't get lost or discouraged with education. The school principal is always on top of things. Our family is returning to this school next year. We're also coming to the summer sessions. We hope you'd consider joining SPLS community. It's all about kids and their future.

Posted April 13, 2012

St Philip is absolutely the best school for educating my child! We started at St Philip because of their preschool. Then when my daughter was going into kindergarten, we stayed at St Philip because of the full-day kindergarten program. So then she went to public school for first grade. That was a full day class and we thought, "First grade is first grade--what's the difference?" Well, let me tell you, there is a difference! We thought maybe our daughter was ahead of the class because she had a great kindergarten experience at St Philip. But then we realized that everything that they were learning in public first grade was a repeat of what she learned in kindergarten at SPLS. So we went back to St Philip for second grade. Now she was behind. But the caring, nurturing teachers there helped bring her up to speed. The small class size lets them get individual attention! They also have combined classes there so the 8th graders are leaders and role models for the 7th graders, and so on. So now my girl is ready for middle school. We had thought that this might be the right time to transition into a larger public school environment, but NO WAY! She wants to stay at St Philip. Me too.

Posted September 12, 2010

St. Philip Lutheran School is an outstanding school. Besides an unmatched focus on values, personal responsibility, and religion -- SPLS educates kids to a higher standard. The teacher to student ratio is low and the core knowledge curriculum leads to greater comprehension in a well-rounded variety of subjects. Children are very engaged in school activities, and, due to the small class size, are encouraged to excel to their personal limits. Homework is significant but good, and parental involvement is expected/encouraged. St. Philip Lutheran School is a great place to send your kids.

Posted February 23, 2010

My daughter has gone to St. Philip for 3 years now, pre-school thru first grade and next year my son will start in their pre-school program. I cannot give enough praise to the teachers and staff at this school. The class size is extremely small which guarantees fabulous one on one time. Each child is praised for their successes. My child is reading so well, better, faster and with more expression than most 3rd graders I know that attend public schools. They have a great spanish program and offer a lot of extra curricular activities for a small private school. The children start every morning with prayer and the atmosphere is so loving and kind. I recomend every one to check this school out before opting to the larger Valley Christian or St. Raymonds that tend to pull in the larger crowds. You wont regret it!

Posted February 5, 2010

St. Philip has been a blessing to our family. Our child has grown as a person and as a student. The teachers are loving and concerned about the student as a whole. The smaller class sizes help to assure that our child is getting the attention and help he needs every day. Excellent choice for any child.

Posted May 29, 2009

I am very sorry for the most recent review. It is my opinion, as an educator, that St. Philip offers an excellent Christian education with high academic standards. Yes, growth is coming! My wife, my children, and I look forward to the bright future!

Posted May 6, 2009

The class size is very small at the school which is nice. Unfortunately we found that once we changed to public school our children had a very difficult time catching up on the learning to be equal with public standards. We heard the same thing from other parents whose children attended the school. I also found alot of gossip and that the staff didn't demonstrate guiding Christian principles when working with our family.

Posted February 21, 2008

We love the smaller class sizes in this school. It is a tremendous advantage for the students. They truly get the attention they need in order to grow academicly.

Posted February 19, 2008

Prior to coming to St. Philip I had taught in several other schools in CA. I am so impressed with this school. The staff is dedicated to their students and to one another. Each day is begun in prayer and encouragement. Families and students alike are spoken of with respect and care which is a wonderful environment to work in. I am encouraged at every level to grow and continue my education. I wouldn't want to teach anywhere else.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 18, 2008

St. Philip School has exceeded my expectations as a school to develop the two most important people in my life. My two daughters, who are vastly different from one another, and having different needs, are both excelling at St. Philip School in academics and social atmospheres. The school's challenging curriculum has helped my youngest daughter, who is currently in kindergarten and only attended preschool for a few months, to read at the 1st grade level. My oldest daughter to delevop her creativity, which academically is her strong suite. Both my daughters have developed great friendships at the school and also an understanding of the importance of helping one another. School projects such as conducting charity drives for the needy are developing my children to be the leaders of tomorrow. I would definitely recommend St. Philip School to any parent who wants the best for their

Posted February 17, 2008

Our daughter attended a public school before she began attending St. Philip. The academic standards of St. Philip are well above what we experienced in the public school system. Both her reading and mathematical abilities are substantially ahead of the typical child at her grade level. Our daughter is not only maturing nicely academically but also socially thanks to St. Philip's nuturing environment.

Posted February 16, 2008

My daughter is doing very well because of the small class size and the caring staff. Execellent English, science, Spanish and social studies programs. She has been there since preschool. Private piano or singing lessons available at school. My daughter is a well rounded student that loves learning because of her education at St. Philip.

Posted September 28, 2007

This is my childs second year attending this school. He has made tremendous growth academically and socaially due to the caring staff.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • WASC (2012)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Mrs. Trudy Packard
Best ways for parents to contact the school
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Lutheran Church (Missouri Synod)
Associations
  • WASC
Fax number
  • (925) 829-6672

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
  • I-20 school
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher

• Drama
Media arts
  • Computer animation

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Girl scouts

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor