7-8|Private

Bad
Good

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I've never met a more caring staff that listens to the parent's concerns, questions, and needs. They are quick to get back to me and the communication is wonderful.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

Because each student has a calendar for each subject, it makes it so easy to know exactly what my student needs to do on any given day. I am so glad this school prepares the student's for high school.

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised how flawlessly the school year went. From the curriculum that was used, to the great communication with the teachers and staff, and the relationship established with the principal. It was confirmed to my husband and I that we truly made the right decision for our son to attend there. He will be attending again in the Fall as we continue this unique parent/school co-teaching relationship. The 3 day a week schedule fits perfectly for our family. I will admit I was a little hesitant as I didn't know much about homeschool, but the staff made it very easy to follow and we received all the support we needed. I have referred all of our neighbors and can't thank the school enough for coming along side of us in educating our child in a Biblical World View.

As a long time public educator I was pleasantly surprised by the rigor and support provided every student at Foothills. My children have benefitted greatly from teachers who care deeply, give authentic and accurate feedback and provide constant support. There is a commitment by staff to bring out the best in every kid and avoid labeling and limiting children. My husband is a former public ed administrator and I hold a masters in ed leadership. We can attest that THIS school is a gem in every way. If you are looking for better than our low ranked public schools and you want to truly prepare your kids to be college ready, this is a a school worth consideration. Kids are taught accountability and really grow academically, socially anf spiritually.

Let me first say, there are many wonderful, Christian teachers at this school. However, I have to echo most of the previous comments, we found the curriculum to be very dull, rote learning, and quite overwelming at the middle school level. The students here spend their days reading very traditional textbooks, memorizing, and taking tons of tests. It was challenging to find much free time for after school activities as the amount of homework and studying expected was almost unbearable. We, like many families, loved the elementary school, but the middle school has so much need for improvement. The overall concept of this unique schooling option has a lot of potential to be great if the curriculum and the work load could be changed.

We absolutely LOVE Foothills Christian Jr. High and are so grateful for the Christian emphasis and environment!!! The faculty and staff are absolutely amazing and genuinely care about the spiritual and educational growth of their students. Our daughter is thriving in this environment and making great friends with students who also want to serve God. Our last school was plagued with bullies and it has been so refreshing to watch our daughter thrive with new friendships. Daily, she comes home happy and full of joy! What a tremendous blessing to our daughter and family!! This year, the school moved into its brand new facility; it's beautiful! The teachers have large classrooms; yet the number of students per class remains small and manageable. The Bob Jones Curriculum is outstanding! In an effort to abide by the California State requirements of Common Core, they have developed the curriculum to compliment each course while still teaching from a Christian world view. For instance, if they are learning about Creation in Bible, they are also discussing Creation vs. Evolution in Science and using proper sentence structure about Creation in English/Grammar. LOVE FCJH

I appreciate the information give about the curriculum this school uses. We are looking for a Junior High School for our son next year and was considering this school until I read some of the reviews. Currently, I home school my three children. Last year we used the Bob Jones Curriculum because its Biblically based. However, I was so disappointed in it that we decided to change curriculum half way through the year. We invested a good amount of money into the three different grades by purchasing the BJ material, but ended up with a lose. The curriculum is NOT for most learners. It is very dry and focuses on memorizing the text. Each of my three children hated it and begged to change material. For this reason, I will not consider this school.

We are very unhappy with this school. This school uses the Bob Jones Curriculum. It is very traditional, in other words, old school. All it offers is memorizing, reading, taking tests. No hands on, no projects, no group work, no other learning styles considered, etc... My son hated it there even though he was a good student. We unfortunately had him finish out his 7th grade yea. It was tough, but thankfully he rebounded in his 8th grade year. We put him in another school, which offered a much better approach to education. What a difference his outlook on school is now. It is important to notice that some of the teachers are very sweet and caring, but unfortunately there is so much wrong with the curriculum that it is not worth putting your kids through it.

When my kids when to the JrHs, I saw my kids loose interest in school. The work became only focused on reading, memorizing, and taking test. I would have taken my kids out, but I unwisely put their social life before academics. By keeping them there, they learned to hate school. School was, boring, forced, and no fun. Kids complain at this age about school. However, because I had to become very familiar with the school work, while at home on Mon. and Fri., I agreed with them. I was bored, felt forced, & lost interest in the subjects. Where were the group projects, experiments, life applications, & the spice my friends were talking about in their kids schools. If the grading was only on the spiritual aspect of the school, I would give it 4. I loved the teachers but the curriculum is a an extreme spirit killer; therefore I graded it a 1. Hope this helps.

Last modified Foothills Christian Jr. High School is a Private school that serves grades 7-8