Fletcher Hills Elementary School

Public | K-10 | 541 students

Sweep tile

Posted August 23, 2013

Both my kids go to this school and they love the school and the teachers. We have been there since Kindergarten, my son is in 6th. grade and my daughter is in 4th. grade. They have a great PTA and offer lots of activities for the kids and the parents. The school has some amazing teachers! My son's teacher last year would help him (and other students) after school with his math, which he needed extra help with. I am not too happy with the large class sizes (which this a problem with the district school system), which in my opinion, is hard on the students as well as the teachers. I highly recommend this school!

Posted March 15, 2013

We have two kids that have attended Fetcher Hills since kindergarten. Our kids LOVE the school and their teachers. The principal is incredible and knows every student by name. The teachers at every grade level are amazing, especially the third grade team! They work hard to make each day fun while packed with learning. The year is planned around a fun Disney theme and my oldest still sings the songs she learned while in third grade. If you are looking for a fantastic school with hard working teachers, you can't go wrong with Fletcher Hills.

Posted March 14, 2013

We have 3 kids at FH and have been here since kindergarten. The principal is wonderful, supportive and kind. Second grade was a disappointment with a very old teacher that was clearly tired and burned out. Third grade has been difficult - my son's teacher keeps him in every recess to finish work , he gets no wiggle time. She is very condescending when I ask about it. My son says "Ms. M. doesn't like me." We cannot wait until the year is over in this classroom.

Posted February 3, 2013

For the past 3 years my girls have been attending FHE. I chose this school based on reviews & information provided by Greatschools.com. I could not have chosen a better school for my girls. FHE has the best principal ever! She is one of the kindest people I have ever met. She always has a smile on her face and speaks in a kind tone. Mrs. Sardina goes above and beyond the call of duty. She is willing do anything (like kiss a pig or get slimed) to help the school raise money. She knows every kid's name, says hello & even offers a hug to those that want one. You can see that the kids feel safe with her in charge. The teachers are amazing. They love where they work & get the support they need from parents & staff. The technology is amazing. Every child from 3rd to 6th grade has access daily to an Ipod or Ipad. The PTA provides the funds for a lot of the school activities such as buses for field trips, school assemblies, teacher mini-grants, technology upgrades, & school improvements. And knowing that there is a kind and caring staff at ESS where my girls go after school makes it easier for me to focus on work and not feel so guilty about keeping them on campus.

Posted May 30, 2012

Absolutely AMAZING school!!!! i couldn't ask for any better. The teachers are great and the principal is awesome. My son is in 1st grade with Mrs. Balough and I am more then happy with her. She has been so supportive and helpful with my son despite a lot of personal issues that have happened in my son's life. She went out of her way to be there for him without letting him get away with things. I am so grateful she has been a part of his life!!

Posted August 17, 2011

great school, very cooperative and attentive principal; Mrs. Sardina is simply awesome. It is great to see that more parents are getting involved as it only makes it easier for the teacher and most important the student.

Posted August 11, 2011

My daugher came to FHE in 2nd grade, after attending a school in San Diego Unified for K and 1st grade. While she was unhappy and struggled in K and 1, she thrived once we moved and she started 2nd grade at FHE. She had a small bump in the first half of the year when her teacher, who she really liked, went on medical leave. Thankfully the replacement teacher was amazing. She was able to recognize what my daughter needed and work with her to help her succeed. I'm proud to say that she advanced her learning by leaps and bounds by the end of 2nd grade. She is reading like a pro. The Everyday Math program that they use is a little tough for parents to get used to, but it makes sense if you read through it with your child. The school has many after school programs that are available, for a fee. Art, yoga, aerobics, all kinds of stuff. The before and after school ESS program is great. Parents are very involved in the classroom and room moms/dads are often present in the class to help out the teacher and provide help for the kids. The PTA is very active, and there are lots of fun events throughout the year. Best of all, my daughter thinks that school at FHE is FUN!

Posted December 1, 2010

My daughter started kindergarten this year and I am very pleased with the curriculum and she is thrieving although she is extremely shy! She loves going to school everyday. I can't wait for my other two children to start because they are taught some much! My daughter's teacher is great and the staff is great! I am so thankful that we are able to attend FHE! GO FLACONS!!!

Posted November 1, 2010

So far, 5th grade is a disappointment. There seems to be greater emphasis on math and there has been absolutely no homework in the language arts. Reading is not a required homework item. 5th grade shoudl be a time to ramp up the learning to prepare for middle school and high school. The October break is another issue as well. The calendar is too disruptive. Teachers don't need that many vacations. After all, they had all summer off.

Posted October 13, 2010

Fletcher Hills Elementary School is a great learning community of caring and committed teachers and staff, dedicated parents and volunteers and fabulous students! I'm so thankful our family is a part of this educational family.

Posted July 21, 2010

We have been a part of FHE for a long time and always praised it. Last year for 5th grade was disappointing to put it lightly. It would have been better to homeschool. Academically and socially (bullying, mean girls, and disciplinary action), I would rate it POOR.

Posted January 19, 2010

Mrs. Conry has done a heroic job is protecting the students and the staff in these challenging educational times. She is strong, compassionate and focused on what is best of all kids. Every school needs a Lisa Conry

Posted August 28, 2009

My oldest is in fourth grade, and I have two younger children at Fletcher Hills. I am very happy with the experiences each of them have received at FHES throughout the years. Wonderful teachers, staff and PTA! We love it!!!

Posted August 19, 2009

Fletcher Hills Elementary. It's a great school that gives children the opportunity to learn. Make sure your child is driven, and focuses intently on his/her work, and studies hard. Then your child will thrive there. Also over the summers there, work with your child on Math, Reading, and Writing. This will greatly help your child for the year to come. I also suggest that you as a parent be involved in school functions, and to frequently talk to the teacher to check how your child is functioning in the class room. Also, an important semisecret, is that you can request a teach for the next year, according to the reviews and opinions about that teacher. It has a fantastic campus, and is very safe. The staff make sure of that. Overall it is a great school, and if your child is driven, he/she will thrive there, that much is for sure!
—Submitted by a student

Posted August 18, 2009

my daughter has been attending fletcher hills since kindergarden and I could not be happier about the school; the teachers are great and the school has so many extracurricular activities for students to join. We are enrolled in the after school program and it is the best in Fletcher Hills; she rarely wants to leave. I did however find that several teachers favor the kids whos parents volunteer a lot; but I guess it's alright they do dedicate personal time to the class; unfortunately I am unable due to a full time job.

Posted October 20, 2006

Fletcher Hills is an exceptional school. My older son was in private school when we moved into the area. We were so impressed with Fletcher Hills that we transferred him and we are very glad that we did. He went from being a discouraged learner who thought poorly of himself to being a student filled with confidence and doing well. Our younger son started his education at Fletcher Hills and is now in the 1st grade. He began the year reading two levels above grade level and doing just as well with his math skills. What has impressed me most is the extra effort that his teachers have put into making his coursework challenging and interesting. Everyone in the school from the secretary to the teachers to the principal know the children by name. They put in a lot of extra effort . Our son loves going to school.

Posted May 25, 2005

If you are a middle class white family this schoolis perfect. As a black family in this school it has not been as great. We have been here since kindergarden and after 5 years here, my son has learned that teachers are human. While I appreciate greatly any person who chooses teaching as a profession, there should be an effort to earn the respect this profession demands. My son recently my sister visiting from out of town that a couple of the teachers he has had pass him in the hall as though he weren't there. If we aren't allowed to build personal relationships with other cultures we will continue to repeat the past.

Posted April 26, 2005

The teachers seem to rush through the academic programs, mainly just to prepare the child for the CAT tests. They do seem to have many extracurricular activities. Their music program is poor, only offering chorus. The parents seem to really help the school staff.

Posted January 31, 2005

Fletcher Hills is a wonderful and great school.I am a student and am in my last year here.(5th grade)The teachers actually make school fun.I'm not in music but I love all of the art projects and P.E we do.Ever since I started school here (kindergarden)I have had a great learning expierence.I like all the teachers I have had they are all very nice. Sincerly, a student (P.S Spelling isn't my best Subject.)
—Submitted by a student

Posted July 16, 2004

Great atmosphere, children are pushed very hard to achieve excellenc. Minimal music, art, and afterschool activities. Demanding teachers. The drive for excellence leaves average children feeling below average.

This school's
API score

892

Change from
2012 to 2013

API Statewide Rank
(2012)

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

86 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

102 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

n/a
High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

All Students71%

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

Physics

Chemistry

Parent education - declined to staten/a

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

Gender Unknownn/a

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 22%N/A54%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

2330 Center Place