El Cerrito, CA
Before care: Yes

Posted October 24, 2013
I have a Kindergartener at St Jerome school and I'm very happy with it. My son is in a class of only 16 children, with a wonderful teacher and teaching assistant. The teachers are very nurturing, communicate extremely well with parents (we all get a daily report on children's behavior), and are doing an excellent job of teaching the children Math, English, Science and critical thinking. They also have PE twice a week. The school genuinely welcomes parental involvement and feels very friendly. The head teacher and office staff are very approachable. The children are encouraged to have friendships across grade levels - with K - 8 'faith families', and our son loves 'his' 8th grader. We are not Catholic, but we feel very welcomed and the religious education mainly centers on morals, how to be a good person etc.. The school is well worth a look at - the Kindergarten day is 8am - 3pm, where the public school is only 8am - 11am and the fees are very reasonable - we worked out it was cheaper for us to go there than to purchase childcare to top up the public school education to a full day.

Posted October 18, 2013
St. Jerome Catholic School offers challenging academics, top notch faculty/staff and a nurturing and diverse student body. As a long time parent of 1 alumnus and 2 current students, I can attest to St. Jerome's academic excellence, outstanding faculty and supportive parent community. St. Jerome Catholic School teaches students about respect, compassion and discipline for all. Spiritual growth, academic excellence, artistic expression and good sportsmanship are many of the values that are instilled in the student body and faculty. Our faculty consistently prepares our students for the challenges in high school and beyond. St. Jerome graduates distinguish themselves at Academic Awards Night at Salesian High School, St. Mary's High School and El Cerrito High. St. Jerome Catholic School is an outstanding choice for K-8 and I have been extremely satisfied with our experience.

Posted October 17, 2013
I have two children who have attended St. Jerome since Kindergarten. Both are eager to get to school each day and miss it dearly over the summer and Christmas breaks. I m frequently complimented on my children's' manners and knowledge. They are well-rounded, smart and happy children! St. Jerome kids work hard and play hard every day, but they do it as a team. They are challenged academically and reminded to be kind frequently. Their spirit is contagious!

Posted October 17, 2013
My kids have been at this St. Jerome School since Kindergarten. They love the school and all their friends. I am impressed by the level of education my children are receiving. The standards in which they are being taught is very high. They are not only learning academically but they are also learning how to deal with each other as respectful, loving individuals. The one-on-one time they receive from the teachers is very important in their development. The homework is balanced and the tests are challenging. The teachers form clubs to help students meet their highest potential. The area in which St. Jerome is located, nestled in a residential communtiy, gives me peace of mind after dropping them off. I know they are safe and that means the world to me.

Posted September 13, 2013
I love this school. All my kids have gone here, and I am very pleased with their education. The 7th and 8th grade teachers are especially good at preparing the students for high school, and they provide lots of extra academic support, math labs, HSPT prep, etc., that "scaffolds" the work being done in class. I also love love love the family and parent community. It's a strong, supportive, fun and kind community. St. Jerome's is one of the gems of El Cerrito and the surrounding area.

Posted March 10, 2012
St. Jerome is a great school! We are new to the school, and have been pleased with our decision. We see our child thriving both academically and socially. We like the community feel; the student body, faculty and parents gather on the yard every morning for prayer and announcements, like a family starting out their day. We like that they have morning/after school care. And in this crazy economy, we feel like our child is getting a top notch education at a reasonable price (in comparison to other private schools in the area.) I think it is also worth mentioning that the principal, who is also new this year, is wonderful - caring, supportive, and has done a great job revitalizing the school from what we have heard.

Posted July 10, 2011
We spent over 12 years at St Jerome's with 2 kids. They had a great start, solid academics, & great life values. Since there is no separate middle school they did not have to "grow up too fast" and learned they are responsible for the younger kids too. (I love the student family projects with kids from every grade put into groups.) With a new principal coming for 2011-2012 and renewed energy amongst the parents, I hope families will see SJ's strengths - a very diverse environment and a safe place for kids. My kids have gone on to great high schools and college. All through SJ, I got compliments from EVERY summer camp my kids went to about how well behaved and helpful they were. SJ fostered that!! And, at the student awards for freshman this past spring at my kid's high school, 5 ninth graders who had gone to SJ were awarded for MULTIPLE achievement awards. Not just for solid academics, but for being the "sparkplug" in the classroom - true contributors. Two of the 5 were transfer students into SJ. Every school has strengths and areas to improve on. SJ knows what it needs to do to move to greatness. Teachers are dedicated & office staff makes families feel very welcome.

Posted May 20, 2011
St. Jerome is on the rebound and will have a new principal for 2011-12. Spanish, P.E. and music will remain in the program. I have 4 children attending St. Jerome and am very happy with the education and environment. My oldest came from another school and was able to quickly make friends -- the teacher really helped integrate him into the existing social structure. The teachers are caring and are able to connect with children in special ways. Due to drops in enrollment (caused by the economic downturn) the class sizes are quite small and the teachers are able to provide individualized attention and to provide parents with a complete picture of how their children are doing. The cost is very low compared to other private schools and is money well spent. The school is entering a new phase as parents step up and express their needs and desires for the future -- together we will build something enduring for the community. St. Jerome has a proud history and its graduates are accepted into their high schools of choice and speak fondly of their days at St. Jerome's. I am staying put and hope that more families will come and join.

Posted May 03, 2011
Our daughter has attended St. Jerome Catholic School, kindergarten through second grade. We are very pleased with the caring, friendly atmosphere created by the wonderful teachers and staff. There is a high expectation of positive, constructive, behavior. Our daughter loves to go to school everyday, and is making great progress. We are very happy with our decision to send her there.

Posted April 14, 2011
My daughter has attended Saint Jerome for seven years, and my son for four. Saint Jerome provides a loving environment that adheres to an ethical standard of conduct that imparts important values to young minds. Their teachers and educational curriculum is top notch. I am very grateful for the wonderful learning environment they have provided my children, and I would strongly recommend Saint Jerome as a wonderful place to send your children.

St. Jerome Catholic Elementary School
320 San Carlos Avenue, El Cerrito, CA  94530
Last modified St. Jerome Catholic Elementary School is a Private school that serves grades K-8
St. Jerome Catholic Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top