K-8|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Celebrating 60 years of Developing Minds, Nurturing Hearts, and Growing Together. Come visit our school to see what makes it a gem in the El Cerrito Community. stjeromecatholicschool.org
December 09, 2015

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

My son is a 4th grader here, we love the small class size, the care the teachers give each student and the diversity among the students and teachers. We feel very valued as a family and have always felt very welcomed into the community.

Develops character: Strongly agree

I appreciate the ways my kids have learned to work things out with other students. There is a huge emphasis on community.

I'm surprised by some of the comments here. I'm a parent at St. Jerome, and the school is great. Great teachers, really awesome students. My 3rd grader loves the STEAM stuff she gets to do (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math) and my 6th grader gets to be part of the middle school program -- leadership opportunities, working with other kids, etc. They have gone on multiple field trips -- most recently to the Hornet Museum in Alameda. I work in the education field, and I know what makes teachers and classrooms engaging -- and St. Jerome has it. Yes, it's small -- which also has it's benefits! If you live in the area, you owe it to your family to visit and learn more. -- will always love St. Jerome!

Attended their Taste of Kindergarten event and wasn't impressed. The teacher seemed confused and relied on the Assistant to explain the curriculum and how the day was arranged to the parents. This made us wonder who was in charge of the classroom. There was a lot of confusion, and walking around we noticed there were a lot of empty classes--one grade only had about five children in it. Something is off about this school.

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted December 09, 2015

This school has no enrichment activities, very few working computers and no field trips. The class size is too small to promote social interaction between the students.

Develops character: Disagree

While this school used to produce children who were well educated, honest and well mannered this isn't necessarily the case today. The administration fails to model this behavior and so the children fail to learn it.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Some of the older teachers are very good, many of the new one's are too young, not properly educated and do not know how to properly interact with children,

I have a Kindergartener at St Jerome school and I'm very happy with it. My son is in a class of only 16 children, with a wonderful teacher and teaching assistant. The teachers are very nurturing, communicate extremely well with parents (we all get a daily report on children's behavior), and are doing an excellent job of teaching the children Math, English, Science and critical thinking. They also have PE twice a week. The school genuinely welcomes parental involvement and feels very friendly. The head teacher and office staff are very approachable. The children are encouraged to have friendships across grade levels - with K - 8 'faith families', and our son loves 'his' 8th grader. We are not Catholic, but we feel very welcomed and the religious education mainly centers on morals, how to be a good person etc.. The school is well worth a look at - the Kindergarten day is 8am - 3pm, where the public school is only 8am - 11am and the fees are very reasonable - we worked out it was cheaper for us to go there than to purchase childcare to top up the public school education to a full day.

St. Jerome Catholic School offers challenging academics, top notch faculty/staff and a nurturing and diverse student body. As a long time parent of 1 alumnus and 2 current students, I can attest to St. Jerome's academic excellence, outstanding faculty and supportive parent community. St. Jerome Catholic School teaches students about respect, compassion and discipline for all. Spiritual growth, academic excellence, artistic expression and good sportsmanship are many of the values that are instilled in the student body and faculty. Our faculty consistently prepares our students for the challenges in high school and beyond. St. Jerome graduates distinguish themselves at Academic Awards Night at Salesian High School, St. Mary's High School and El Cerrito High. St. Jerome Catholic School is an outstanding choice for K-8 and I have been extremely satisfied with our experience.

Last modified St. Jerome Catholic Elementary School is a Private school that serves grades K-8