K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)

Posted August 30, 2015
Prospect Sierra is an exemplary school. The teachers are all very enthusiastic about their respective subjects and take time to help each student. The school provides extremely rigorous classes for students. Especially, I would like to note that the humanities program is very strong. A recent graduate from Prospect Sierra, I find that I was prepared in excess for high school. The drama and music programs are extremely strong and provided a fantastic outlet for students' creative interests. I have personally taken part in many music and drama performances and found them to be extremely valuable experiences. I performed in roles in two plays. In music I have played with the orchestra, rock band, jazz band, and with my own student led group. The math program is very thorough and caters to students of all mathematical backgrounds, while providing advanced students with the opportunity to enrich their knowledge. In 7th grade, I explored topics in trigonometry, combinatorics, and the basic theories of probability. The science at Prospect Sierra takes a hands on approach. Students initially learn various topics in several branches of science, while learning scientific procedures. In 8th grade they take a thorough and current events centered course on biology.The visual arts program is very challenging and students learn many advanced skills and techniques. I found the art teacher to be extremely patient and enthusiastic. Prospect Sierra incorporates technology in modern, inventive ways, although occasionally they overuse it. The robotics program was a very good experience for me and my team won innovation awards two consecutive years. The athletics program at Prospect Sierra was also extremely well developed. I participated in the basketball team, cross country team, track and field team, and ultimate frisbee team. The coaches helped me improve immensely so that I could win third place in the 800m. The student council at Prospect Sierra was an amazing learning experience. Being President, I had the opportunity to play a role in the many student activities that exist at Prospect Sierra. I found this to be a very gratifying experience. Prospect Sierra is very welcoming to new students. 5th and 6th graders have a chance to participate in an orientation led by 8th grade student ambassadors. Having been a student ambassador, I found this experience to be valuable.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted August 30, 2015
The teachers are very enthusiastic about their subjects and really inspire student to do their best!

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted August 30, 2015
Prospect Sierra balances homework throughout the year and students find that they can effectively balance their extra curricular activities with homework if they work hard.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted August 30, 2015
In every class at Prospect Sierra, students are encouraged to stick with their endeavors no matter the problems they face. Alumni of Prospect Sierra are very persistent and know how to work hard

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted August 30, 2015
Prospect Sierra is a school where respect is key. Students develop respect at each stage of their journey.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted August 30, 2015
Empathy is an important part of Prospect Sierra. In every grade students are taught the importance of it.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted August 30, 2015
Prospect Sierra helps every student develop their own values and safe discussions are led on complex topics in these areas.

Posted March 13, 2015
Everyday I am thankful we found Prospect Sierra! My child s classroom is bright, spacious, well designed and well stocked. The walls are covered with vibrant child-centered art, creative learning tools and diverse family photos. My child doesn t sit at a desk, but instead goes from center to center exploring foundational concepts in reading, writing and math in an integrated highly creative way. My child gets to attend art, music, library, PE, Spanish and science lab every week. Individual attention and differentiated learning are the norm. The teachers are professional, happy, supported, collaborative and accessible. There is a low student/teacher ratio. The school has a well-developed, fully integrated K-8 social emotional learning (SEL) program. Snack and lunch are eaten outside at picnic tables in spacious age appropriate play yards. There are numerous volunteer opportunities and coffees to engage and build community with the parents, administration and teachers. This school lives and breaths their tag line, Heart, Mind, Community . The children at Prospect Sierra are given an environment that fosters the love of learning which will last a lifetime.

Posted September 30, 2014
When I was looking for a school for my children, I wanted a school that would foster a lifelong love of learning. I wanted a place where my children would be safe and comfortable and learn in a way that was suitable to their unique personalities. I toured many schools, both private and public, and narrowed down and applied to 3 schools. We were fortunate to have been accepted in all 3 but in the end decided that Prospect Sierra was the right fit for our family and children. We were very impressed by the warm and welcoming atmosphere. The teachers and staff were very dedicated and they all seem to love the children and were willing to meet the kids at their level. We felt a very sincere sense of community and openness from the parents, who were all very happy to volunteer and actively participate in their children s education. Now that we are Prospect Sierra parents, we can honestly say that this is definitely true. The parents and families love Prospect Sierra and the kids love Prospect Sierra!

Posted September 02, 2014
A middle school that works to help students become thoughtful and creative citizens who think globally and independently? This is it! Our son is thriving here. He loves everything about the school and so do we. The academics are stellar and so are the arts and music programs, Dedicated teachers who love their jobs and have the support and autonomy to build classes and assignments with contextual meaning, independent and collaborative problem solving, and cutting edge technology make this place very dynamic for learning. In our experience Prospect Sierra delivers everything they promise and the children are incredible there. Also the place scores pretty well on a culturally, racially, and economically diverse community; definitely worth visiting and seeing if it's right for your child.

960 Avis Dr, El Cerrito, CA  94530