El Dorado Hills, CA
Students enrolled: 2,261

Posted January 29, 2015
Wonderful opportunities at this school. Extremely friendly staff. But as with all schools in luxurious areas, the kids tend to be a bit snotty. Other than this, Oak Ridge remains one of the best college-prep high schools there is.

Posted October 05, 2014
I'm a freshman at Oak Ridge, and I like my school. The school is kept safe by a sheriff's deputy. You never see fighting during break or lunchtime. The classes are great too. However the parking lot is a bit dangerous at times. It's always a battle for me to get out when people start driving Their cars of campus. They just don't yield to pedestrians. Other than that, I would send your son or daughter to this school.

Posted October 02, 2014
Graduated in early 2010s. Went to fine university on the east coast to study computer science and continued on to graduate school. El Dorado Hills is "guilded." That's the best word for it. It is too homogenous (ethnically). Some speak up and dare to stand out. Too many quietly wish there was something more. I myself did fine in school (top 10 in my class) and sports (recruited by D1 schools), but ORHS seemed to often challenge my confidence. Because I didn't smoke or drink. Because I wasn't white? But with that being said, don't overgeneralize. I found my real friends. And even through years away from each other, we are still close. They get me and I get them. There is an incredible community here, even if too many people think too much of the same. Teachers are dedicated. Ms. Santa Iglesia, Mr. Larsen, and Ms. Gruwell. They are the personification of true teaching. So if you choose this school, don't get sucked into vortex that is "the norm." Do what you love with the people who love you. Cheesy, I know. But honest.

Posted July 11, 2014
Racism, sexism, and lack of manners to all were enormous problem. Thought we were past this as a nation... apparently not. Girls were also commonly blamed and shunned for dress code, even when adhering to the rules. My daughter was constantly being sent home due to her outfits being 'distracting to the boys', when often she was wearing full-length jeans, and fine tops. Upsetting to say the least.

Posted May 13, 2014
It is difficult to rate Oak Ridge because it has been the best school i've ever been to and possibly the worst. It has been a spectacular school with teachers that are way above average. Every step of the way I felt that about 95% of my teachers and counselors wanted me to succeed and they did their best focusing on the curriculum given to them. Due to the lousy state and county mandated curriculum this school is great if you want to focus on important subjects such as math, English, physical education, and science while just briefly brushing over even more important subjects like history and completely ignoring the most important subjects of all which are both philosophy and religion/ faith. This is a huge mistake not by Oak Ridge, but by the state and county. Philosophy, or the love of wisdom, and religion/faith are important to be at the center of a school's curriculum because it teaches a child not WHAT TO THINK but more importantly HOW TO THINK. All throughout high school I felt like I was brainwashed and I feel that being taught how to think would greatly improve college success in the future.

Posted December 24, 2012
I am really having a tough time believing the many positive reviews. The school is fine if your student is motivated and college bound. If your student struggles or thinks independently or is creative, this school is a failure and will offer little help. The teachers do not teach here - they bask in the success of students who are self motivated and come from motivated families. Everyone else is seen as a hindrance. I have had two kids go here and it has amazed me how much of what is taught in history and science is simply wrong (e.g. there is an island in the Carib. that is bigger than Texas). Independent and creative thought is discouraged. Although the community is conservative, the school bends over backward to be PC and many kids just learn not to say anything in class in order to avoid conflict. On the good side, the sports programs are great, the school is safe, the counseling staff is superb. There are better schools nearby - try those.

Posted August 13, 2012
Great school for preparing my son for college. Some teachers have no business teaching.Playing sports seem way to political. Coaches should pay more attention to who's putting in a 100% instead of playing favorites or who is donating the most money to the school.The dropping off and picking up of students needs work. It's horrible and dangerous at times.My son complains alot about the homework. Too much and giving students homework on holiday's and during the summer? That should not be aloud.

Posted May 29, 2012
As a former student who was ranked in the top in of my class (#2), I have mixed reviews. For those students who seek out the most challenging classes, I think they will find an enriching experience, especially if they go out of their way to interact with their teachers, some of whom are exceptional. It's true, however, that there are a very small handful of exceptional students. Most of the kids are either consumed with partying, sports, or their clique drama, making it a social environment that is less than conducive to actual education. I found that most of my peers were not terribly well read, and most fell into the conservative trap of being "anti-knowledge" that their parents probably embrace. Seeing as the vice principle is key player in the local "Tea Party," the administration isn't helping, esp. for kids outside the "norm:" white, straight, athletic. If your student is motivated to truly learn and become a critical thinker, they will be able to do so. If you hope to motivate them to become one, don't expect Oak Ridge to transform them. Many of those who do "try" in school do so less because of their interest in academia, and more so to just get into a good university.

Posted May 25, 2012
The campus is over crowded and the kids are mannerless. Not the place to be once school is out. THe kids walk right in front of cars, not obeying the laws etc.

Posted February 04, 2012
A great school. The campus is a bit undersized for the population of students attending, but we love everything about it.

Oak Ridge High School
1120 Harvard Way, El Dorado Hills, CA  95762
Last modified Oak Ridge High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Oak Ridge High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 48 reviews. Top