Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

As an educator for another district I was skeptical of the early bird and later gator schedules. Now that my child has done 3 school years I am convinced! What a wonderful system. To have the teachers be able to differentiate instruction as an early intervention is such a wonderful tool for the children. Every teacher is supportive and gives 100%. As for the extras: steam night, literacy night, fall festival, and so many enrichment programs, every single one is outstanding and a great experience.. Thank you to everyone for all their effort. My child is getting a great education and having a good time while not being stressed. Oh maybe a little less homework since there really is no reason for it.

The building is great, the teachers are good, but the curriculum and hours are sub-par. With school-days that consist of 2.5 hours of learning and 1 hour of play/snacks the younger grades are just not enough of an educational experience. Like most parents in El Segundo, we've always been impressed with the schools teachers and administrators, but the school SCHEDULES and HOURS for Richmond (and I think Center too) are not enough to really keep the kids learning and engaged. The academics (when IN class) are good, but it is frustrating that the days are so short for the younger grades, not all parents have a stay-at-home dad or mom and many parents think that school, even for young kids, should be longer than 2.5 hours a day! Our pre-school was a full 7 hours of learning, going here was going backwards for the first few years! We added in Kumon and online math programs to supplement our child's 1st/2nd grade experience and avoid them not being challenged. I highly recommend this! Education is so important and kids who aren't being pushed in K-2 are starting at a disadvantage and will be playing catch up from 3-8. Overall, it's a safe, clean and good school for the 3-5 grade children but for the K-2 grades with the extremely short days it can be frustrating. The TLC center locally is designed to fill the afternoon and morning gaps for working parents and does an OK job - we haven't been very impressed with it either. Mostly it's been our kids playing in the yard and learning less than savory language from the 5th graders but overall it's a safe and clean environment and the administrators there are very nice people. Three stars overall but this school would be an immediate 5 if they made K-2nd into at least a 6 hour school day. The cost of Kumon and online extracurriculars to fill this time/learning gap for parents like us is challenging and seems like something the district ESUSD should address ASAP for all the parents of preschoolers who are looking forward to Richmond and ESUSD!

Our children started attending Richmond Street Elementary School when we moved to El Segundo at the very end of the school year last May. They have now started the new year and absolutely love their school. As parents, we love this school as well. The teachers are wonderful, involved and caring. The Principal, Liz Ramirez, is phenomenal, engaged, proactive, and very tuned into the students in the school. She has been a great resource to us as parents and makes herself available to both parents and student. The front office staff are extremely helpful and accommodating; everyone at this school is kind and willing to lend a helping hand. I cannot say enough good things about this school, the staff and our Principal.

We moved to El Segundo because of its own school district. My daughter was attending one of the best LAUSD elementary school in west side but we did not like the way of LAUSD at all ! So we decided to get my daughter out of LAUSD and found this small but nice community and schools. We are very happy about school, teachers, parents, home works, activities, big school yard and nice facility. Wish we knew this school much earlier !

My daughter just started her Kindergarten year at Richmond Street and, after a rough few days of adjustment, she is loving school. She is making new friends, wants to learn and says she is excited to go to school. I am very excited that she is having such a great experience so far!!

We Love RSS! We moved here from Mid-Wilshire, where my two closest LAUSD chools were in the 400 and 500s APIs (and I lived in a terrific neighborhood). I cannot stress enough how wonderful RSS is --- our Kinder teacher is fantastic and the Principal is super responsive. Parent involvement is very high, and the expectations are that each parent will get involved, help raise funds, volunteer, etc. Meeting those expectations can sometimes be tough for working parents, but the result of such high engagement is that the school offers a very vibrant, exciting environment with strong academics and lots of extracurricular activities. This is an EXCELLENT school and we feel fortunate to have moved here and become part of the Richmond Street famiily.

So far, so good - just finished TEDDE and my son couldn't be happier. His teacher (so sad, she retired) was AMAZING - caring, loving, yet disciplined. She taught our children the most important thing that will set them up for a lifetime of learning - how to use their words. How to work things out. I would see kids on the playground talking about what was making them upset instead of going straight to fighting. I feel this school is very special.

We moved from Playa del Rey to get our daughter out of LAUSD and into the El Segundo School District. It was the best decision we've made regarding her education. Not only is the school well funded with outstanding teachers/admin/staff, but everyone seems to be very concerned with teaching children how to think versus just worring about test scores. Low and behold, children are engaged, learning, thinking and the test scores are great. We couldn't be happier and would move all over again!

My son is thriving here!! It is so small town, yet has very high standards. Everyone knows your child from the principal to the cafeteria ladies to the plant managers. Many opportunities for parental involvement so you can keep up on things. Teachers are very responsive as demonstrated when many of us felt that the amount of homework in Kindergarten was a bit excessive. I would highly recommend this school. (but then our class sizes might go up...)

It isn't just this school but the entire community. El Segundo is a wonderful place to raise children with all of the activities from the Halloween Frolic to Candy Cane Lane. The entire staff at the school is easy to work with and very friendly. Volunteering is the best way to get to know the teachers and staff and to keep up with what your child is learning. I'm so glad that everyone seems happy to have parents around all the time. Oh, yeah the cirriculum is perfect too.

Last modified Richmond Street Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.