K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

I was recently asked by a parent of a child who has had behavioral issues whether EBWS would be a good fit for her child. I responded, absolutely! EBWS has no standards for admissions and allow disruptive behavior to reign in their classrooms. They accept families who clearly do not believe in the pedagogy because the school is desperate for new students. My child came from a class of 10 children and the teacher repeatedly failed to maintain a peaceful classroom. My child is now in a public school with dozens more classmates and wonderful, caring teachers who are able to sustain a harmonious, thriving, and joyful learning environment. I still believe in Waldorf education, but EBWS, not so much. It has become like the least desirable public school in the least desirable district, except with an $18K per year tuition.

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

There is no leadership at the school as the administrators keep changing.

not impressed at all by this school, we heard great things but everything seemed to be based on the reputation of Waldorf and not necessarily East Bay Waldorf.

My family is very grateful that we found the East Bay Waldorf School My daughter is in 4th grade and she has been attending East Bay Waldorf School since Kindergarten. I can't imagine sending her to any other school. The Waldorf philosophy is amazing. She is thriving, happy and excited about learning. Her teacher has been a Waldorf teacher for 20 years. He is kind, loving, and passionate about teaching. We have a great sense of community. I read the other reviews about bullying. These were isolated incidences that the school addressed swiftly and quickly. They are in no way representative of what the school is all about. I have complete confidence that when my daughter is at school she is safe, happy, respected for who she is, cared for and loved.

We are very happy with East Bay Waldorf School. The curriculum is inspiring. The teachers are dedicated, knowledgeable and loving. The community is very welcoming. My child couldn't wait for school to start! That's how you know that your child is at the right school!

I am sooo thankful that my parents got me outta there when they did. I'll warn people looking into this school that the teachers put on a nice face for visitors and parents and then yell or talk down to the students. Now that I'm in public high school I see all the science and history that they left out. And don't let anyone tell you that religion doesn't show up in the classroom because it does! Quiet kids do okay and so there are plenty of nice reviews but it's pretty creepy with some of the teachers and I saw plenty of bullying going on that didn't ever seem to get noticed. All the art stuff doesn't make up for the meanness.

The bullying mentioned below is indeed continuing, even though its been reported since the first day of this past school year and as a result families are leaving mid year.

There has been a shocking degree of bullying behavior at the school this year, and the administration has been slow to deal with it. This has caused a major rift within the school and many families have been leaving. There is a real problem with communication and follow-through.

I think this school is excellent. I have two children attending and my eldest has been there for 9 years (including 2 years of kindergarten). Our experience has been really good. My eldest has excellent skills in reading, math, writing, art, music, critical thinking and speaking. The whole Waldorf system of education is very nurturing and supports beauty and really meeting a child where they are developmentally, rather than pushing them to be at a place where they are not yet. So they get to play a lot when they're young, climb trees and explore the natural world and when they are older they really interact with the cirriculum, it's like a path of discovery. There have been many administrative and teacher changes in our 9 years there and each time has been for the better. I'm excited and happy about where the school is now, I think it's an excellent place for my children to go to school.

I am an advocate of Waldorf education and a trained Waldorf teacher. It is my opinion that the principles of Waldorf education are not present at EBWS. I have two children who attended the East Bay Waldorf school for a few years. The teachers are not well trained for classroom management and the children often felt fearful when any behavior issues came up. My son felt bullied both by students and teachers and every attempt to solve the issues failed. The educational environment was not conducive to learning. The "disappointments are too great to number" All and all it is not a healthy place for children.

Last modified East Bay Waldorf School is a Private school that serves grades K-8