Hesby Oaks Leadership Charter School

Charter | K-8

Living in Encino

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $839,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,400.

Posted December 17, 2013

really not very good at all. I did not like this school at all. It's not great.

Posted October 24, 2013

Hesby Oaks Leadership Charter is a wonderful school. I am so happy to be able to give my children the gift of this experience. The teachers care about their students, and go above and beyond, to help those who are struggling. The curriculum is tough, but has raised my kids up, and my oldest is more than ready for high school. You can't please all of the people all of the time, but Hesby has certainly pleased me, and many others at this wonderful school.

Posted August 23, 2013

Very clean campus as well as a professional and courteous staff. Very family-oriented. All 4 of my children attend and love it!!

Posted August 22, 2013

Hesby Oaks has been A very positive experience . My daughter loves going to school. The school has A progressive challenging curriculum with amazing and utterly creative teachers.

Posted April 5, 2013

Hesby is a Great School that truly a find! Every school has issues, but Hesby comes pretty close to being perfect, considering that this Charter School is only on its 7th year! It is a true community, where the Teachers are fantastic, and really care about the kids education. They take pride in sending off the Kids prepared for their next step....and they are. The Principle is a hoot, and I think often misunderstood. He is one of the most caring school leaders I have met in a long time. Hesby strives for excellence, and it has always had a waiting list for families to get in. It truly is a hidden gem.

Posted March 15, 2013

Great school! My oldest graduated from Hesby 3 years ago, and was so well prepared for high school. I currently have 2 girls attending 7th grade and 4th grade. They excel in all subjects, district assessments are easy for them because they are so well prepared by truly caring and dedicated teachers! My kids have very good friends from school, and there is a sense of community. You feel welcome! I couldn't asked for more from a public school. Compared to the private school they atended before, I can say that they are better prepared to face the demands of higher grades because of the education they are receiving at Hesby. Thumbs up for the effort of principal, teachers, parents, and students!

Posted November 1, 2012

Overall, I have been happy with this school as public schools go. The administrative staff has always been very kind and helpful. The School is not enormously helpful if you have a child with ADHD. They may get a tiny bit of help, but definitely not as much as they really need. Mostly I just am asked to put my child on medication...Which I disagree with. The teachers in general are good with the exception of just a handful. I like that it is a smaller school. I think considering how much funding is cut from LA Schools they really do function to the best of their ability.

Posted October 11, 2012

Hesby Oaks is an amazing school. The level of parent and teacher involvement is tremendous. These kids are not just learning to be great students, they are learning to be good citizens. API scores raise more and more each year. 2012 score is 912...which is a great score and factors in elementary and middle school (K-8). If score was calculated just on elementary tests, it would be much, much higher. There also aren't many middle schools which come close to 900. Hesby Oaks is a gem!

Posted October 11, 2012

We started this year in this district/school. It has being a lot of pressure with the fundraisers. Teachers are great, but being asked for money at the beginning of the year (and so on) its kind of exhausting. We are here because we can't afford private schools (we live in the neighborhood) , and I understand that better education costs money, but what if we don't have it? ... I wish I could have the money to help, because I consider myself a very supportive person. I also tried to help with services and that way to help the school, but I haven't received a call back from the group of parents that are in charge, I feel a little ashamed to call again.. Oh well.. Still feeling that we don't "fit" in that school... is October already and feeling like a first day of school. Going soon to volunteer on my daughter's group, that is something I love and enjoy a lot. I can say I have a good communication with the teachers. They are just GREAT!

Posted April 19, 2012

I'm a parent of a 1st grader at Hesby and will be sending our second child next year. We've had wonderful experiences with our teachers thus far (very dedicated and experienced) and the after the school programs are a real unexpected suprise. The school has a small community feel and we like what we see in the direction it seems to be going with new programs and facilities (computer lab). Lot's of parent involvement, as well as the fundraisers, which unfortunately are necessary in public schools these days.

Posted January 27, 2012

So I was planning on going on a tour of the school at 9 am this morning, but traffic was unusually insane, making me 15 minutes late. I found my way to the office as I could see the tour group not so far away and was still hoping to join in. In the office, there were a set of parents speaking with the principal and 2 of us waiting in line. I have no idea what I walked into, but the principal was yelling that "he raised $300,000 for the school" and if he "doesn't like a permit student, he kicks them out"! He was boisterous, indignant, and just plain rude and I turned around and walked right out. I didn't need to hear anymore. I don't think that was a conversation he should have been having so loudly with others waiting nearby, and really it does nothing to make people in that situation like myself feel comfortable. I am trying to find my son a school that he might be able to attend either via permit or open enrollment as our neighborhood school is not up to par and I don't think we should be made to feel like outsiders infiltrating the system. We pay our taxes like everyone else and my husband works just blocks away. Private school is seeming like a better option every minute.

Posted September 26, 2011

We have been at this school since it opened. I have three kids who have all done great. My oldest just started HS and his classes are much he has been upped in several classes because of what he learned here. It is a great school where everyone knows everyone and we work together for the common good of the kids.

Posted April 10, 2011

My daughter is a fifth grader at Hesby having attended a private school from Kindergarten through 3rd grade. My daughter adores Hesby and far prefers it to the private school she attended. The education is superb and challenging. Best of all, these past two years my daughter has been blessed to have had teachers who care and extend themselves over and above what is expected of a teacher, be it in public school or private school. These are dedicated and caring professionals. The small school environment is the icing on the cake. No one is anonymous. The principal pays attention to the kids that stay after hours in the school yard. He even knows their names. It is the fortunate student that attends Hesby.

Posted November 9, 2010

The parents volunteer work, the endless fundraisers, dedication to school and students and desire to pursue every means possible for scholarships

Posted November 5, 2010

Small School that misses alot of things that other schools have.Some of the teacher actualy scream to the kids.The new Principal is week at his job.There is much better schools in the area.Parents do your resurches.Parents are very involve Yes is true,but I am not shure I like my kids education to come from parents who are not profecionals!!!!!!!

Posted November 4, 2010

As a student at Hesby Oaks since the year it opened, I have been pleased with the small campus, nice teachers, and quality education. I am in 8th grade and feel very prepared to go to high school. Hesby has a wonderful community and you can always get 1 on 1 time with teachers. As president of student council, I know a lot about extra curricular activities, and school events, and they are great. Hesby offers honors classes with challenging academic programs, great teachers who care about your work, and a strong main office, and amazing involved parents.

Posted September 22, 2010

always something educational and exciting going on!

Posted August 21, 2010

Hesby Oaks is in dire need of a new 7-8th grade math teacher!!!1 A majority of kids need tutors and still the test scores are dismal. Many parents have taken their children out of the school because of the poor math teacher. Hopefully the new principal will address this issue. We need Hope and Change. If not, expect to see a mass exodus. Hesby is otherwise a great school.! BELOW THE STATE AVERAGE Algebra I 43% (2010) 37% (2009) The state average for Algebra I was 46% in 2010.

Posted June 16, 2010

Hesby Oaks is an amazing school! The teachers are exceptional and love to be at school with the children. Their passion shows not only in the teaching, lessons, and projects, but also with their participation in school sponsored events outside of school hours. I can not imagine a better middle school. When children are going through so many physical and emotional changes, Hesby teachers make the time to relate to each and every student individually. The faculty and staff know the students names and keep them accountable for their learning and behavior. The parent organization helps keep parents of all the students involved in their child's education. The activities they plan benefit everyone from the middle schoolers taking on a leadership role and mentorships to the elementary students having fun, learning, and looking up to these older students. Hesby Oaks is definitely a family!

Posted May 5, 2010

Fantastic Teachers, good management, and the students really learn and are taught well.

This school's

(2012)

9 / 10

3 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

3 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

49 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

49 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

40 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

40 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

66 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

67 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

67 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

All Students84%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)73%
Parent education - college graduate85%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate85%
Parent education - declined to staten/a

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Cooking/Nutrition teacher(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Improv

Health & athletics

• Cooking/Nutrition teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
needs to be verified by school leaders.
The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) School Experience Survey asks parents, students and employees about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, engaging, safe, and collaborative. Learn more

We organized questions from the LAUSD School Experience Survey into five categories. The respondent group-level results (parents, students, and school employees) show the percent of each respondent group that agree or strongly agree that the school has positive results for that category.

Overall school results for each category are calculated by averaging across group-level results, ensuring that each respondent group is equally represented. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all LAUSD schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the LAUSD survey »Close
Based on 238 responses

This school provides ... 1

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and students that agree to strongly agree that this school sets high academic expectations for its students and expects them to be college-bound. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Future Expectations (Parents), School Quality (Parents), Future Plans (Parents), Opportunities For Learning (Students), Future Plans (Students).

This school

Healthy, respectful relationshipsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a positive learning environment and cultivates an atmosphere of respect. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Support (Students), Commitment and Collaboration (Employees), Satisfaction (Students), School Support (Students).

This school

A safe, clean and orderly environmentWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents, students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a well-kept facility and a safe environment conducive to learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Cleanliness (Employees), School Safety (Employees), Safety (Parents), School Cleanliness (Students), School Safety (Students).

This school

Strong family engagementWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school engages parents and communicates with families to promote student learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Parent Involvement (Employees), Feeling of Welcome (Parents), School Involvement (Parents), Teacher to Parent Communication (Parents).

This school

Teacher support and opportunities for collaborationWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of employees that agree to strongly agree that this school ensures that teachers work well together, learn from one another, have opportunities for professional development and feel supported by the administration. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Evaluation (Employees), Opportunities for Involvement (Employees), Professional Development (Employees), Resource Allocation (Employees), Teacher Collaboration and Data Use (Employees).

Based on surveys from:

• Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Tutor(s)
Transportation options
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Sports