Posted May 08, 2015
I was at Emelita this morning dropping off my oldest daughter who is in 2nd grade. Once I returned to my desk I felt I should make known my love for this school. Needing to pick-up some paperwork in the office I was greeted BY NAME by the principal, Betsey Mayorga. Mrs. Mayorga has been an amazing, proactive leader, genuinely concerned for the students' safety and learning. She is VERY hands-on with teachers, staff, parents but most importantly the children. Over the 3 years at Emelita, I cannot recall ever questioning the integrity and dedication of the faculty. They encourage & welcome parents to be involved in every aspect of their child's learning and development. The kids are constantly participating in various activities, field trips, performances & projects making learning fun. At the end of her kindergarten year, our daughter was reading up to three books a night and over a short time has not only shown an interest in reading but has also excelled in math, science, music & art. What is important to us is not just what she is learning in the classroom, but how she is encouraged to seek more knowledge beyond the curriculum. She's loved ALL of her teachers & so have we!

Posted May 08, 2015
My child has been at Emelita since 2012 - when she started kindergarten. Having been both a classroom teacher for 8 years and now working in an informal education setting I cannot be happier with the guidance and education that my child is receiving. The teachers that are at the school are wonderful and caring and take the time to not only teach my child and help her grow but they are there to listen to parents whenever an issue arises and most importantly - they work collaboratively with the parents. The PTA is awesome - the parents that help make up this group are dedicated and make it so easy to become actively involved in the school in all types of capacities. But the most important draw for me is the administrative staff...they are absolutely wonderful...Whenever I have had to deal with an issue or had to address something the staff in the front office listens to me and helps to solve the problem. The principal is one of a kind...actively engaged and involved in everything...she has a tough job and she manages it with kindness and compassion and she really has done and will continue to do an amazing job for this school. Emelita is a great school!

Posted May 08, 2015
As the grandparent of an Emelita Academy Charter School student I thankfully write this review. My Chloe is a second grader and I didn't think her second year could compare with the great learning experience of her first. But, it surpassed it. It warms my heart and gives me so much comfort to know she is being taught "book and life" lessons by loving and caring teachers. Thank you Emelita Academy for giving so much to my son, daughter-in-law and granddaughter.

Emelita Academy Charter School 4

Posted April 22, 2015
Emelita has gone through many changes over the last couple of years and I am thrilled to see my older daughter graduating this year while my younger son continues to be apart of all the new improvements and changes! I am so pleased with the new computer lab and all the wonderful phonics games my son is "playing". The PTA has really stepped up this year and all the fundraisers have had a great deal of support. I look forward to many new changes throughout the next couple years and I am truly enjoying this new and improved school!

Posted March 27, 2015
My son has had the most wonderful year in kindergarten at Emelita! I heard a lot of poor word-of-mouth, mainly from people who probably never set foot on the campus. We tried to lottery in to a number of schools, but didn't get in. Things couldn't have worked out better. My son has one of those teachers that is truly gifted in educating young minds. I get valuable feedback on my son's progress, and areas that need some work. He comes home from school every day, excited about what he has learned. He's particularly thrilled with the new computer lab! The PTA and the administration work tirelessly to continue to improve the school. And I can't say enough wonderful things about the office staff here. They truly love the children that attend the school. Sometimes I've seen tough love, but it's always love. And Mrs. Mayorga, the principal is fantastic and has great insights into what is best for a particular child. This is a warm, nurturing school, with faculty, staff, administration, parents and kids that go above and beyond. I could not imagine my son having had a more wonderful kindergarten year at any other school.

Emelita Academy Charter School 4

Posted March 26, 2015
I love Emelita!! Not only are we a great school we are a family! We have been part of this family since my oldest son started kindergarten & now he is about to graduate 5th grade! We have been fortunate to have some amazing teachers that have helped shaped our two son's academic career's! They are our superheroes!! The amazing women in the front office have always welcomed my husband & I with warmth & kindness. They are both so patient with my many questions & I love them dearly!!

Posted February 25, 2015
At first I wanted my girls to attend a school that was rated a 9 or 10 and was pretty disappointed when I was left with no choice but to attend this school that was rated a 6. This school has been great though: The principal is accessible, office managers have been friendly, my girls love their teacher, and last but not least, they are very happy with the friends that they have made. I have to say that if my daughters are happy then I'm happy too! The student body is small with just over 400 or so students which makes the school feel even more intimate. You run into the same parents which is great. The PTA is deeply involved and want to make this school better. I have not seen bullying here, I hope that doesn't change. The only thing I have experienced are well mannered kids: Kids taking the time to open the door for me when they see that I have a baby/stroller in tow. This experience has taught me a lesson in not judging the book by its cover. In this case, by its rating. I know that Emelita may not be perfect but then again I think that the idea of anything being perfect is non existent in this world. It's a great neighborhood school!

Emelita Academy Charter School 2

Posted September 12, 2014
MY Daughter attends this school and the staff there is awful they do not greet you or deal with your child's issues or bulling situations well at all they do not inform the parents of any issues there child is having at school and if your child tells you they tell them not to tell there parents what a way to deal with a small child and then we wonder why are children a committing suicide due to school bulling because the schools do nothing and then they tell your children not to tell you as well this is not the first time i have had this problem with this school it's the forth

Emelita Academy Charter School 1

Posted September 08, 2014
This school should be better. They do not have a focus. The scores are terrible, and they do not work on curriculum. Most of the children in my immediate neighborhood attend other schools. The parents have rented in other areas and donated money/time to the other schools just to ensure their child's enrollment. In addition, the principal treats people with disrespect and has even lied to district officials when approached about a specific issue. The best part of the school is the before and after school program, Soaring Eagles. Micah is kind and fair. The kids are happy and get homework help when needed. I wish this school was better.

Emelita Academy Charter School 2

Posted August 28, 2014
My child started kindergarten this year but at a different school. We live across the street from this school so I see what goes on. I decided a long time ago that there was no way I was sending my kid here. Yes it would have been convenient but I see how the teachers yell at the kids during recess. No way.

Emelita Academy Charter School
17931 Hatteras Street, Encino, CA  91316
Last modified Emelita Academy Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Emelita Academy Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 64 reviews. Top