Public charter
Encino, CA

Posted March 26, 2015
I love Emelita!! Not only are we a great school we are a family! We have been part of this family since my oldest son started kindergarten & now he is about to graduate 5th grade! We have been fortunate to have some amazing teachers that have helped shaped our two son's academic career's! They are our superheroes!! The amazing women in the front office have always welcomed my husband & I with warmth & kindness. They are both so patient with my many questions & I love them dearly!!

Emelita Academy Charter School 5

Posted February 25, 2015
At first I wanted my girls to attend a school that was rated a 9 or 10 and was pretty disappointed when I was left with no choice but to attend this school that was rated a 6. This school has been great though: The principal is accessible, office managers have been friendly, my girls love their teacher, and last but not least, they are very happy with the friends that they have made. I have to say that if my daughters are happy then I'm happy too! The student body is small with just over 400 or so students which makes the school feel even more intimate. You run into the same parents which is great. The PTA is deeply involved and want to make this school better. I have not seen bullying here, I hope that doesn't change. The only thing I have experienced are well mannered kids: Kids taking the time to open the door for me when they see that I have a baby/stroller in tow. This experience has taught me a lesson in not judging the book by its cover. In this case, by its rating. I know that Emelita may not be perfect but then again I think that the idea of anything being perfect is non existent in this world. It's a great neighborhood school!

Emelita Academy Charter School 2

Posted September 12, 2014
MY Daughter attends this school and the staff there is awful they do not greet you or deal with your child's issues or bulling situations well at all they do not inform the parents of any issues there child is having at school and if your child tells you they tell them not to tell there parents what a way to deal with a small child and then we wonder why are children a committing suicide due to school bulling because the schools do nothing and then they tell your children not to tell you as well this is not the first time i have had this problem with this school it's the forth

Posted September 08, 2014
This school should be better. They do not have a focus. The scores are terrible, and they do not work on curriculum. Most of the children in my immediate neighborhood attend other schools. The parents have rented in other areas and donated money/time to the other schools just to ensure their child's enrollment. In addition, the principal treats people with disrespect and has even lied to district officials when approached about a specific issue. The best part of the school is the before and after school program, Soaring Eagles. Micah is kind and fair. The kids are happy and get homework help when needed. I wish this school was better.

Emelita Academy Charter School 2

Posted August 28, 2014
My child started kindergarten this year but at a different school. We live across the street from this school so I see what goes on. I decided a long time ago that there was no way I was sending my kid here. Yes it would have been convenient but I see how the teachers yell at the kids during recess. No way.

Posted August 22, 2014
We have been going to this school for almost 7 years between my 2 kids. We have never had a problem there. Most of the teachers are really wonderful and caring. Sure there are a couple that could be changed but out of 24 i would said 22 are really good teachers. So far no complaints, sure parents could get a little more involved but i think we are getting back on track there and this year should be wonderful.

Posted August 21, 2014
This school was a horrible experience for my son. The teachers that are bad are REALLY BAD. I have moved him to a school where the learning is much more enriching beyond worksheets and teaching to a test. Was the best move we ever did. He is at a school he doesn't want to leave versus being at a school that terrified him between the teachers and the bullies.

Posted November 15, 2013
The school looks cute when you drive by but it is such a disappointment. People keep pulling their kids out. It just gets a little worse every year. Communication is lacking. There are good and bad teachers like any school. The office staff is not always nice. The principal gets a 2. The soaring eagles is just okay nothing more. My kids say they have not been bullied but they talk about it seeing it all the time. The charter didn't make anything better. We're just waiting to see if we'll win a lottery so we can get out like everyone else.

Emelita Academy Charter School 3

Posted October 28, 2013
I'm a parent who lives in the neighborhood, and went to this school as a child. My child has been there 2 years. The after school care program Soaring Eagles is Excellent! The people that run it truly care about the kids and I feel my daughter is safe there and very well taken care of. The Principal really cares about the school and is always involved with all aspects of the school even after hours. I realize that dealing with the LAUSD is frustrating, and although both teachers my child has had at have been excellent, I have a concern with the participation levels of the teaching staff. At our recent Harvest Festival, I was disappointed to see that only 6 of the 24 teachers at the school were at the event! I believe this is in part to VERY low parental participation at the school. The few parents that have taken an active role in the school are left feeling frustrated and overworked. It is slowly improving, but can be much better. If teachers see the parents passion for their kids education then perhaps they will join the teachers who are already going that extra mile. Without a firm commitment from parents and teachers, no school will prosper - it s a symboitic relationship!

Posted October 24, 2013
My grandchild goes to this school and she loves it! The Soaring Eagles is the BEST after school program I've seen around. They are very caring people. So far everyone at the school has been very supportive and knowledgeable. The principal communicates very well on all the needed information.

Emelita Academy Charter School
17931 Hatteras Street, Encino, CA  91316
Last modified Emelita Academy Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Emelita Academy Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 63 reviews. Top