PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

The curriculum is sub par. Spanish, robotics, writing, etc. are a joke and exist to lure in new parents. For example, your child won't learn Spanish with 1/2 hour per week. Your child will be subject to favoritism. If you are very involved and donate money, your child might benefit from it...might. If you have any problems you would like to address, don't count on any understanding from the teachers or staff because there is none. There is no prayerful consideration before decisions are made. They don't act from a place of love, rather they come from a defensive position with everything. They are all just trying to get through the day and keep their jobs. When your child goes to high school, they will have zero friends for quite a while. The school is so small, just one class per grade, that by the time the kids graduate, they are desperate for new friends. The problem is the cliques going into high school from the larger schools. Is it enough for you to know your child will be admitted to a Catholic high school? Or are you interested in a well-rounded experience for your child? There are much better options than this school.

I do not recommend the after school program the staff does not watch the children closely my child was being bullied i also contacted the principal he did not return calls.

Develops character: Strongly agree

No, the children are not treated as equals. How can they learn honesty & fairness when their superiors do not follow these practices?

The academics are great but it's too bad that this is not the #1 concern. The new principal is so arrogant and not at all concerned about what is best for the children. The St. Cyril way of life is to get rid of all kids that may cause a teacher to actually work hard preparing a lesson plan outside of the box. Don't expect any assistance only be ready to be asked to leave. Give give give but do not expect any loyalty for this giving.....this is St. Cyril's Motto! What a sad shame!

This was our first year at St. Cyril's. My daughter entered the Junior High (aka Middle School) this year. I was concerned, after coming out of a very high achieving elementary school, that my daughter would not be challenged. Those concerns are long gone. The teachers on the Jr High team are so on fire for teaching the kids. They really know how to motive and engage. And they are very advanced in their use of technology, with every student on ipads, and with Mindcraft ED for their classrooms. My daughter had to build the Parthenon to scale...how cool is that? She didn't like math before coming here, and now she's working very hard in math and her grades show it. Just take a look at the number of kids that came out of this school and went to AP classes in high school and also some got scholarships. Excellent academics. Mr. Halverson is the principal here, and he is awesome. He's a very good listener, and very thoughtful in how he manages the school. I also love that though the school is progressive in their teaching, they are traditional in their values. Good behavior is expected from all, and corrected quickly if there are issues.

St. Cyril is one of the best kept secrets in the Valley. One class per grade. Outstanding academics and a community that truly cares about your child. My two children have been thriving here over the years. My older child gets extra help with advanced studies with the help of Mrs. De Carteret. The interim principal is wonderful. Strong yet caring. So far she seems to have enough sense to tell the meddling parents to stand back and let her run the school. Previous families thought they could throw their money around so they would run the school. Thankfully this is no longer the happening. Those families are gone and rules are being followed again. The junior high teachers are very strong and all the 8th graders got into their top choices for high school. I highly recommend this school to any parent looking to raise a smart, well-rounded child with values.

My 2 children are very happy here. The reason for the issues the past few years is the parents that feel that school is for the benefit of their social life. Too many parents get too involved and try to run the school, please let the administration run the school and go get a life /job of your own. School is for our children and not a social outlet for us parents. Stay involved but that does not mean live at the school. You know who you are parents. Kids need space to flourish on their own. Helicopter parents need not apply here. The teachers are great and the interim principal is strong but fair. The kids think she is too strict so maybe a little less changes so quickly may be a better transition. Hopefully she will stay on as Principal, we don't need more changes. My kids get a great education here and overall love it. I gave them the option to change schools and they said. No way. For the most part families are very welcoming and most of the controlling parents have been flushed out the ladt 2 years. Some were asked to leave. It's getting smoother and should be great for the 2014-2015 school year. I am excited.

When I came in pre-k, I enjoyed it! I am graduating finally, and got into all 3 of my high schools of choice. I scored very well on my HSPT and I have to admit that this was because of the quality of teachers that taught at St. Cyril's. Although it may seem like they can be strict at times, the teachers there have taught me a lot, especially the junior high teachers. Another part I loved about this school was the friends that I made. Some kids I've been friends with in pre-k are friends I still hang out with today! I can also say that there has been nothing crazy going on, like drugs, violence, etc. All the students here, even in the lower grades, are very friendly, and I know almost everyone who goes here. Probably the best part about St. Cyril's is the events that are held here. The carnival that is annually held here is always enjoyable, but I believe that there won't be one this year, for unknown reasons. Many of the former staff have left, and the principals have changed over the past couple of years, but that did not ruin my experience here. Who cares if the principals change? Overall, this school is a good choice!

Just got a new principal, again. She is interim principal until a new one comes in September 2014. So four principals within four years? School is in chaos right now.

St. Cyril is an amazing community and my kids are incredibly happy at the school. I'm pleased with the variety of extracurricular activities that are offered and the family environment that is fostered.

Last modified St. Cyril of Jerusalem Elementary School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8