Posted May 11, 2015
This was our first year at St. Cyril's. My daughter entered the Junior High (aka Middle School) this year. I was concerned, after coming out of a very high achieving elementary school, that my daughter would not be challenged. Those concerns are long gone. The teachers on the Jr High team are so on fire for teaching the kids. They really know how to motive and engage. And they are very advanced in their use of technology, with every student on ipads, and with Mindcraft ED for their classrooms. My daughter had to build the Parthenon to scale...how cool is that? She didn't like math before coming here, and now she's working very hard in math and her grades show it. Just take a look at the number of kids that came out of this school and went to AP classes in high school and also some got scholarships. Excellent academics. Mr. Halverson is the principal here, and he is awesome. He's a very good listener, and very thoughtful in how he manages the school. I also love that though the school is progressive in their teaching, they are traditional in their values. Good behavior is expected from all, and corrected quickly if there are issues.

Posted May 29, 2014
St. Cyril is one of the best kept secrets in the Valley. One class per grade. Outstanding academics and a community that truly cares about your child. My two children have been thriving here over the years. My older child gets extra help with advanced studies with the help of Mrs. De Carteret. The interim principal is wonderful. Strong yet caring. So far she seems to have enough sense to tell the meddling parents to stand back and let her run the school. Previous families thought they could throw their money around so they would run the school. Thankfully this is no longer the happening. Those families are gone and rules are being followed again. The junior high teachers are very strong and all the 8th graders got into their top choices for high school. I highly recommend this school to any parent looking to raise a smart, well-rounded child with values.

Posted May 27, 2014
My 2 children are very happy here. The reason for the issues the past few years is the parents that feel that school is for the benefit of their social life. Too many parents get too involved and try to run the school, please let the administration run the school and go get a life /job of your own. School is for our children and not a social outlet for us parents. Stay involved but that does not mean live at the school. You know who you are parents. Kids need space to flourish on their own. Helicopter parents need not apply here. The teachers are great and the interim principal is strong but fair. The kids think she is too strict so maybe a little less changes so quickly may be a better transition. Hopefully she will stay on as Principal, we don't need more changes. My kids get a great education here and overall love it. I gave them the option to change schools and they said. No way. For the most part families are very welcoming and most of the controlling parents have been flushed out the ladt 2 years. Some were asked to leave. It's getting smoother and should be great for the 2014-2015 school year. I am excited.

Posted March 10, 2014
When I came in pre-k, I enjoyed it! I am graduating finally, and got into all 3 of my high schools of choice. I scored very well on my HSPT and I have to admit that this was because of the quality of teachers that taught at St. Cyril's. Although it may seem like they can be strict at times, the teachers there have taught me a lot, especially the junior high teachers. Another part I loved about this school was the friends that I made. Some kids I've been friends with in pre-k are friends I still hang out with today! I can also say that there has been nothing crazy going on, like drugs, violence, etc. All the students here, even in the lower grades, are very friendly, and I know almost everyone who goes here. Probably the best part about St. Cyril's is the events that are held here. The carnival that is annually held here is always enjoyable, but I believe that there won't be one this year, for unknown reasons. Many of the former staff have left, and the principals have changed over the past couple of years, but that did not ruin my experience here. Who cares if the principals change? Overall, this school is a good choice!

St. Cyril of Jerusalem Elementary School 1

Posted February 13, 2014
Just got a new principal, again. She is interim principal until a new one comes in September 2014. So four principals within four years? School is in chaos right now.

Posted October 24, 2013
St. Cyril is an amazing community and my kids are incredibly happy at the school. I'm pleased with the variety of extracurricular activities that are offered and the family environment that is fostered.

Posted September 02, 2013
My children are academically and socially successful here. This school shines because of its loving and nurturing culture. Mrs. Pugliese (new VP) is a great addition to our community. She meets the parents and kids' needs and has a very action-driven style of leadership.

Posted June 05, 2013
St Cyril School has been a wonderful experience for our family. We are grateful for such a strong faith community. Our children are truly enjoying their education here and I highly recommend this school if you are searching for a welcoming catholic community and education for your children.

St. Cyril of Jerusalem Elementary School 1

Posted May 19, 2013
All I have to say is ask around. You'll get a very honest answer about the smoke and mirrors going on over there. Very sad, as it used to be such a nice school environment. Teachers are great, management leaves a lot to be desired.

Posted May 06, 2013
The school is a great choice, outside of a few issues. The school has gone through a leadership transfer recently with the introduction of a new Principal. Her style of management leaves a lot to be desired. Having said, if you are willing to spend the time and effort in the participation of your child's education, then this school is for you. This is not a school where you can drop your child off, you need to be involved. This is the key component to your child's developmental success. In respects to the management of the school, it's the families the make the school an ideally nurturing environment . I'm not discouraged by the lack of a dynamic principal, since most of parents are career professionals, we budget our resources and delegate. The fundraisers are endless and mandatory volunteer hours are a component to the parents participation in our community. We gladly open our community to your family, if you seek the same experience.

St. Cyril of Jerusalem Elementary School
4548 Haskell Avenue, Encino, CA  91436
Last modified St. Cyril of Jerusalem Elementary School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St. Cyril of Jerusalem Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top