San Pasqual Union Elementary School

Public | K-8 | 558 students

Sweep tile

Posted February 21, 2013

We have been grateful to have our kids enrolled in this school for the last several years. The elementary school has been great for my oldest and the pre-K is excellent. Each teacher that we have encountered has been caring and dedicated to their students. The pre-K program is second to none and the quality of the curriculum is unmatched in the area. I continue to be amazed at what my preschooler has learned in a few short months. The administration is attentive and very involved with the day-to-day activities of the students. This is a small public school that has the feeling of a private school. All CA schools are making tough choices with reduced funds, but this school continues to put the needs of the kids and families first and makes the best of what they have! We will be moving out of state soon and we will miss this community and this school tremendously! We have not encountered an issue with excessive homework as well...my oldest has homework most nights but it is never an unreasonable amount. The school regularly communicates with families, using phone messages, Wednesday Folder, emails, etc. Our experience at this school continues to be a positive one.

Posted October 26, 2012

Generally a good school for K-5. But the middle school has a multitude of issues starting with the woman who ran it in her roll as Vice Principal. Her discipline methods were iron-fisted and ineffective. She was demoted, thankfully, but too late for those of us who had to endure the middle school years with her at the helm. The SPA kids created another set of social issues that were not handled very well by the administration. Last, but certainly not least, is the out of control "homework for homework's sake". Parents are encouraged to cut back on their children's after school enrichment activities in order to give them more time for homework. Expect 2-3 hours a night in middle school. Say good bye to dance class, Pop Warner and music lessons. The school has very little enrichment to offer the students outside of the academics, which puts the parents and students in a no win situation.

Posted February 10, 2012

SP is an outstanding school with an API of 889. There is a caring staff who takes pride in providing wonderful opportunities for all students. The ELL program sponsors a tutoring program after school, monthly parent educational meetings with opportunities for parent education, technology opportunities, and small group instruction each day utilizing the AVENUES PROGRAM. The GATE program provides hands on learning and research opportunities for students in grades 4-8. All students have the opportunity to participate in music programs, (band,chorus, general music), after school sports, cheerleading, Science Fairs, our state of the art technology lab, our outdoor garden program, and educational field trips including the Marine Science Floating Lab, Sixth grade outdoor education week, and a special science program at the San Diego Zoo's Safari Park for our 4th. graders including animal visits, a sleepover in the park, and special events. This one school district stands out as a jewel as the "Little School In the Valley." Our goal is to meet the needs of our diverse population, providing every student with a world class education.

Posted February 10, 2012

This is a fantastic school that has so much to offer considering its size and limited resources. Being a 1 school, school district, funds are limited, yet commitment of the staff is not. If you are looking for a small (private school like atmosphere) school, where your child will not get "lost" in the crowd, this is a great option. It is true that if you have a child with special needs you may be frustrated with the resources available to you. If your child truly needs extra resources they might be better served in a larger district that can provide more options. Coming from a family of educators, we truly feel blessed that our children are being educated in this environment.

Posted March 7, 2011

For average to above average general education students this is a terrific school. But for those students who have special needs this school struggles mightily to provide services for these students. We have had to move or special needs student to another school after almost 3 years of trying to work with SPU.

Posted May 23, 2010

This school is EXCELLENT. Small country feeling, great Teachers, great feeling of care here compared to other schools and it ranks 9 out of 10. No problems at all with gangs, rock solid learning.

Posted January 16, 2010

Excellent school with dedicated staff, great before and after-school program (Kids' Club). This school has a variety of after school events, family functions and community awareness programs. As it stands alone as its own district, I believe it provides the best of public school education with many of the benefits of a private school.

Posted February 21, 2009

My three children attended this school. My youngest now in the 7th grade. It was a wonderful experience during the elementary years. The school is very nice, in a beautiful and safe location with better than average teachers. However, all middle school classes are taught by just a few teachers and the school doesn't offer electives that would be available at a larger middle school. They have a small athletic program. But, overall even with my concerns, my older children transitioned well to High School and my oldest went on to college on an athletic scholarship. There are pluses and minus with a small school just like there are with a larger school. My choice would still be the smaller school.

Posted January 21, 2008

School community provides children with a safe enviroment to learn. Bullying is not as big of an issue as a at 'regular' middle school. Teachers have high expectations of student learning, but are willing to help students in need. Although there are no electives offered at the school, academics are stressed and studnets are provided with extra long math and language arts blocks to make sure all the stanards are taught. Character education is a big part of daily language. I would rather my children be prepared for the rigor of high school than be able to 'take wood shop'. The middle school does put on a HUGE musical at the end of every year. A great place for children to grow and learn.

Posted June 19, 2007

Well, San Pasqual gave me the experience of a life time in my short amount of time there I learned so much and I when I went to my high school registration what they told me was the San Pasqual are among the most prepared schools. Also, our school is a family i'm sure we are all well aware of the small school and that also was an advantage we watch out for we each other and we love each other we therefore are a family and we had the most amazing teachers K-8th I m so shocked that everyone is saying that San Pasqaul isn t prepared enough when board members from all over California give San Pasqaul awards for outstanding SAT scores. I came in 6th grade and at every other school I ve been to I had no welcome like San Pasqaul. There are no words except amazing for San Pasqaul.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted May 18, 2007

I have had my kids at the school from K-8 and my youngest will graduate in a few weeks. Overall is was a good experience but I was not very happy with the middle school experience. I found my children were no longer nurtured and were often treated as failures if they didn't excel just as another parent said in an earlier post. This school is beautiful and a very safe environment. On the surface it has very few problems if any. By middle school however, children are no longer nurtured and are often treated as failures if they don't excel. Giftedness is not celebrated and failures are exasperated. Expectations of students are almost at high school level, with the claim that teachers are preparing students for the transition into 9th grade.

Posted April 24, 2007

I was shocked to see a few negative comments about this school because I can't say enough good things about it. When I talk to other parents about it, I feel like I sound like a spokes person. My oldest started kindergarten in Fall 2006 and my husband, son and I are so so happy with this school! We couldn't be more thrilled about his teacher who celebrates both his strengths and encourages him during times of difficulty. I always feel informed and up to date on my son's progress and what's going in his class and school as a whole.

Posted September 19, 2006

This school is not prepared for children with disabilities. There is a really great kindergarten teacher there.

Posted September 18, 2006

I'm really not sure how I feel about the school. I think it's really unorganized. I had my child in private school and I really enjoyed the discipline, communication and the knowledge about my questions. I have already had some problems with the after school program at SP union school. I don't think my child will return next year.

Posted March 7, 2006

Wonderful country school in a suburban neighborhood. Essential skills are stressed in K-4 so students are prepared to do integrated problem solving. Each year the board tries to put into place better ideas/programs to help the students attain their maximum potential and to narrow the achievement gap. Dedicated staff and administration who really care about the students makes it an ideal place to learn.
—Submitted by an administrator

Posted February 4, 2005

Great lower grade teachers and exceptional 7th & 8th grade history teacher. Dedicated good teachers. Principal is also the superintendent. The school board consists of at least two friends of the principal who ran for the board at his request. No computer lab. Students are asked to provide laptops in 6th grade. Fairly irregular training on laptops and occasional typing lessons. Many decisions are made without polling or stating what the subject of the board meetings will be about ahead of time on the bulletin board. Therefore, many important discussions are held and decisions are made by a small group of people-- not the parent community. No Avid program. Pay for Spanish lessons, pay for chess, pay for drama except for 1 play per year. Annual trip to camp for 6th grade. Parent's must pay for it even though part of the curriculum. Any fund raising is restricted to principal's descretion.

Posted September 1, 2004

All the teachers that my children have had during the 2002-2004 schools years have been wonderful. They support the childrens needs wonderfully and have all been a conerstone in my childrens educational career. Since the school was built in a neighborhood enviornment it has been able to blossom as a safe place to send our kids 7 hours a day.

Posted August 12, 2004

We left this school because of problems. Many thefts(including my son's lap-top computer) because students were required to leave backpacks outside of classroom. Only students who's parents 'ran thing' or worked for school got to represent school at competitions regardless of who actually won the contest at the school to represent the school(ie math days, science fair). 'Student of the Month' always went to an employee's child. Principle is more interested in honors than in the students. Parents who live in the prestigious Rancho San Pasqual are openly hostile to those who do not.

Posted July 17, 2004

This school is beautiful and a very safe environment. On the surface it has very few problems if any. Most teachers and staff members have the best intentions. Students are, for the most part, respected. By middle school however, children are no longer nurtured and are often treated as failures if they don't excel. Giftedness is not celebrated and failures are exasperated. Expectations of students are almost at high school level, with the claim that teachers are preparing students for the transition into 9th grade. The nurturing, encouragement and aiding of individuals in this time of critical growth is almost nonexistent.

Posted May 30, 2004

The school setting and teachers are dedicated, especially in the upper grades. I like the pillars of characters model and appreciate the traditional three 'R's' curriculum. I believe that the best thing that can happen to our school is more parental involvement and therefore awareness of how money is being used, what needs improvement etc. Parents ideally should be considered equal partners by the school and not have only a few parents running things. The school has decent scores but considering the demographics/dynamics of the school, they should be higher. We have less after school activities than most of the other neighborhood schools. The teachers' union president states that up to date supplies, smaller class sizes and money are the solutions. These factors do not make kids learn. Dedicated, top-notch, parents and teachers make the difference! Become more involved & informed! The result will be higher performing schools, students, teachers and happier taxpayers.

This school's

(2012)

8 / 10

2 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

8 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

2 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

55 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

55 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

44 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

33 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

33 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

66 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students74%

Fluent-English proficient and English only79%
Parent education - college graduate79%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate82%
Parent education - declined to staten/a

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students54%

• Gary Wilson
Fax number
  • (760) 745-2473

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now