School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Harry Dewey Fundamental Elementary operates under a very special mission statement that staff, parents, and community members worked together on in the Spring of 2012. It reads: Valuing community and academic excellence, the mission of Harry Dewey Fundamental Elementary School is to inspire and educate each child to be a vibrant part of a community of life-long learners who embrace stewardship of their world, and develop creative problem-solving skills and confidence through a focus on the whole child mind, body, heart that includes innovative instruction, strong character development and essential family participation in a safe, supportive environment. We promise to live by this creed and do everything in our power to make sure we focus on the whole child - mind, body, heart at all times. Should you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact us. We're happy to work with you.
January 25, 2013

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Don't know (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Harry Dewey Fundamental Elementary School
Develops grit: Disagree

Posted October 20, 2015
The students that need extra assistance seem to become more overwhelmed then display grit and determination, and to see that in a child is pretty sad when our teachers are there and supposed to help them, mind body heart right?

Posted October 20, 2015
I feel like the teachers look right through the students that struggle. My child is in the resource program and this is the third year, while the resource teachers are concerned and very helpful the classroom teachers are not.

Harry Dewey Fundamental Elementary School 1

Posted May 13, 2015
My son is an ADHD student and he was treated poorly throughout his time at this school. While the academics are okay, the school preaches character education and yet does not treat their students with respect unless they are well behaved kids without the issues my son has. He was bullied and nothing was done about it. The parents volunteering as lunch duties to monitor the playground have no idea how to handle conflict with students either. They favor their own children and kids they know well and disregard others. This school does not teach students conflict resolution. Instead, it teaches students that when they have problems, if they aren't a favorite of the adults in the school, they don't matter. Sad.

Harry Dewey Fundamental Elementary School 1

Posted December 07, 2014
As a former student volunteer and now parent it's plain to see how the class of teachers has plummeted. A good chunk of capable teachers left Dewey, retired or left this earth entirely and left not so capable teachers. The administration is better than it was.

Posted June 02, 2014
My son has ADHD, and was labeled/ostracized at two other elementary schools. Harry Dewey, in contrast, includes and celebrates every child. He loves going to school now, and has made a circle of friends. His teacher finds creative ways to showcase students' strengths and autonomy, while still incorporating required curriculum. I couldn't be more pleased with Harry Dewey, and the changes I have seen in my son- perfect attendance, homework completion, excellent report cards, joy & confidence. Many thanks to you, Harry Dewey & Christine Teachout.

Posted June 02, 2014
I believe that the school should and must be more accommodating to the needs of the special need students. To hear that this is not happening breaks my heart. We all must do our part to be there for them and the school has a most important role in this. As far as the playground being rough, this must stop! I have one child at Dewey and another that has gone on to the IB programs. The foundation at Dewey must always be the child first and foremost.

Harry Dewey Fundamental Elementary School 3

Posted December 10, 2013
I have complained that my daughter's teacher put her hands on her and I don't feel like anything has been resolved. This teacher has worked at Dewey for many years, probably longer than most there. My daughter is afraid to go to school, I don't blame her at all. These are little kids and they don't need their teachers grabbing at them or anything of the sort. I hope these mean teachers will retire, quit, or get fired. The office staff seem over worked and can be pretty short but I feel it's because they have too much work. The principal is ok although I haven't really seen much action.

Posted December 03, 2013
We love this school! Our children have been attending for 6 years. We have been active in the community of the school and appreciate the personal attention our family always receives when we go into the office. The teachers are attentive and open to suggestions. The principal is open and willing to listen and help when we need it. I've never had less then wonderful interactions with the office staff. We love this school and couldn't be happier!

Posted October 13, 2013
I have three children that attend this school and I could not be happier with the way the teacher's interact with my children. The homework assignments go hand in way with the day's lesson plan and each assignment is geared to helping the children grow. This school does not do "busy" work. The principal is amazing, friendly, and AVAILABLE to parents. My children are lucky to be in this school and proud to be Dewey Tigers!

Posted March 06, 2013
Dewey is awesome! My kids have always loved their teachers, I love that! I've been happy with the school for the most part. The parent participation is wonderful, the new principal is super, the teachers and staff are amazing! I do, however, agree with several of the other parents here. The office lady is extremely short and rude. I know I can't mention names, and I hate to even say this but I am very put off by her. Parents have to sign in and sign out in the office anytime we go on campus, which means dealing with the office staff. One of my kids has complained about her as well. I understand she has alot on her plate, but kindness goes a long way, rudeness does not. I want my kids to feel comfortable going into the office if they need to, one of my kids does not want to for any reason. Dewey is a wonderful place for kids, I just wish they'd address this issue.

Harry Dewey Fundamental Elementary School
7025 Falcon Road, Fair Oaks, CA  95628-4515
(916) 867-2020
Last modified Harry Dewey Fundamental Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Harry Dewey Fundamental Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 48 reviews. Top