Northridge Elementary School

Public | K-6

Living in Fair Oaks

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $205,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $970.

Posted September 26, 2013

My daughter attends Northridge Elementary. She had a difficult time transitioning being a new student. The staff at Northridge did a wonderful job helping her feel safe and secure. This year is her second year at Northridge and she is a thriving 6th grader.

Posted June 22, 2013

I'm a student of this school from some moons ago, in the 1990s. I'm told some of my teachers have retired, but others are still there. I remember nearly every grade as if it had special meaning. The classes were not that challenging, but I was also difficult to motivate. This school once cared a lot for the arts. Staff would help put on plays and a big performance at the end of the year. In 2nd grade, we did "Over the Rainbow" in sign language. My biggest gripe is not really their fault -- it's a public school. The teachers are inconsistent with the amount of attention they give, and they play favorites. For the parents that are unhappy about the lack of advanced classes: the school used to have a GATE program. And for years and years, I know at least one teacher discreetly gave a multiple choice math and science test to the kids. For the ones who did really well, she would pull them aside, and they'd get special classes after school. I visited years after I left and she was talking to her new advanced class, telling them not to say anything to anyone about it. I know I could have learned something from those sessions.

Posted February 11, 2013

My Son has been attending Northridge for a year and a half and we couldnt be happier with the school. The Teachers have been amazing, Staff friendly, and the extra activities and programs have been educational and fun. Were so glad we moved near Northridge Elementary School.

Posted November 16, 2010

I have had 3 kids in Northridge since 2006. We attended with the old principal and we have had the new one for a few years now. We are finishing out this year and then we are transfering. I have 2 more kids to get through elementary school. I agree with most of the poor comments about this school. There is no parent involvment. I volunteer at the school once a week. I hate having to go sign in at the office. The women who work in there are so completely RUDE! This is our 5th year at this school and one of the office ladies has yet to ever acknowledge me. i don;t even know her name. There is a lack of respect by some of the children-but the teachers wear jeans and tshirts everyday. What do they expect? What happened to dressing professionally, taking pride in your career, and passing that on to the children. There are absolutely NO programs for advanced children. My daughter who is in 8th grade now and has a 3.7 GPA just took a 6th grade review test for history and got a 60% on it!! Now they are english as a 2nd language school.

Posted November 2, 2009

I think Northridge is a wonderful school, working there for the last couple of years has been a rewarding experience. I believe that the staff does the best they can teaching, but I think what some parents have forgotten is that it is not the teacher's/staff's job to teach the children respect, manners and most of all kindness towards others. That is what they should be learning at home from their parents, the schools job is to continue that into the classroom and at recess. If we ALL work together then we will be able to help the children grow up to become productive and caring human beings.

Posted October 26, 2009

I am a parent with a unique perspective. Due to the fact that my original school location was closed due to budget cuts five years ago. We were transitioned into Northridge and initially it was not the most pleasant situation. My family and I are a part of the Northridge community and love it. When you become interested and invested in your child's life there are certain rewards that you never could have imagined. I have gotten to know the entire staff and faculty and I appreciate them and embrace each one of them. Turn off your television sets and participate. Become informed parent's. Don't sit back in the 'castors seat' and post false judgements. It's easy to sit and wait to receive. One hand washes the other is my philosophy. Your environment is what you make of it. Empower yourselves and your children with the truth of reality!

Posted October 3, 2009

My son is at Northridge and has had an amazing experience; the teachers have really been great. My son is a bright boy and they have been very encouraging and put in the extra effort to make sure that he is challenged and does not get bored. The kids are split up by skill level for different subjects, which allows for more one on one teaching; it does not leave those kids that need extra attention behind as well as not limiting those children that are more advanced. It is great. There was a school play last year that was a lot of fun for the kids. Music & choir programs. Fund raisers are a necessary evil as we do not get the funding due to budget cuts. Overall a great neighborhood school We love the new principal and she is doing an amazing job with the budgetary restraints.

Posted October 3, 2009

my sone loves the school. The teachers have been amazing and the new pricipal has made several changes for the better of the school. We have budget restraints & so we have several fund raisers. Teachers really work with those students that are gifted as well as need additional assistance. We have had a very positive experience - a great neighborhood school.

Posted May 15, 2009

I understand that the new principal has made several changes, and I DO NOT agree with all of them. If I could change anything, I would start off with a strong disciplinary plan for each child AND teacher. Some teachers need to revisit why they started teaching. I would also enforce RESPECT. Children and teachers need to respect eachother. 'Love your neighbor as yourself! I attended Northridge when I was in grade school. I will never forget the end of the year performances that we did. Those were the years! I was excited to see that each class put on a wonderful performance for Founder's Day. It brought back memories. ' We must bring back the end of the year performances. This will bring back love and joy to our community, and people will want to help our school. We need to do less fundraisers, and more community envolvement.

Posted May 14, 2009

This is not a school that encourages the childs growth and development. On the contrary, this school envelopes the ideals of fundraising and state testing. Northridge does not want parent participation despite the eagerness of parents and god forbid you want to be involved, they look at you like a plague. The new principal seeks much to be desired and has implemented seating arrangements and a no talking lunch policy. Additionally, there is fundraiser after fundraiser (including Cookie Lee; who the benefits from that I wonder) and I have yet to see the benefits of that anywhere in the school. If you live in this school region, apply for a inner district transfer. We are finishing out this year and moving on to greener pastures next year. The school is a disgrace to our community and children and their philosophy on education and their mediocre scores show it.

Posted January 29, 2009

I have 2 boys that attend this school which will be their last year thank god, I have had nothing but a year full of issues from the aids who work in bridges to teachers who are worse then children, if a school should be closed this one should be considered, it's amazing the difference there is from one year to the next and this is a little advice for parents, your kids are a reflection of you and I've met so kids who show a great lack of respect for others so please reinforce manners and respect to others or they'll achieve nothing in life.

Posted October 20, 2008

Both my kids have attended or are currently attending Northridge. It's been rough going since it had to absorb a few hundred students when nearby schools closed. It's gone through two principles. The last one nearly eviscerated the school of all its good programs. When suggestions were made the answer was always, No, it can't be done. Not, Let's find a solution. Not, let's make it work. Just, No. We're on principle no. 3 this year. I don't know if it's her doing, but band and choir are back, and the much-loved sixth grade science trip to Yosemite was saved from the chopping block. Teachers and parents put in a lot of work to save the integrity of this school and maintain the community that has grown. Things are looking up.

Posted August 21, 2008

My extended family attended Northridge from 1986 to 2007. The earlier years were the best, with enthusiastic teachers, All-school shows, talent shows, fashion shows, pet parades, etc. Each teacher that left was sorely missed and was sent out in style! Unfortunately, with budget cuts, teachers unions, and politics at the higher levels of administration, this school has suffered. The last principal took away everything that was even remotely fun! The morale sunk to an all-time low under her leadership. If the new principal can put some fun back into the school, the children AND the teachers can thrive!

Posted May 30, 2008

I grew up in Fair Oaks and when we moved back to this area we were thrilled to be able to send our children to Fair Oaks schools!! To our surprise, Northridge has no parent participation, the teachers are old and grouchy, the office staff is never friendly or welcoming, the yard duties are disgruntled parents and the school overall lacks any morale! Thanks northridge for keeping our school a place we actually want to send our children!

Posted August 15, 2006

Little to no parental involvement, no sports or other extracurricular activities. Inadequate supervision repeatedly observed during lunch & recess. I strongly suggest using open enrollment in January.

Posted July 24, 2006

Horrible school. My advice use open enrollment to a school that cares.

Posted May 21, 2006

Typical, average, suburban elementary school. Love the Festival of Nations, and the principle is very fair.

Posted December 14, 2005

My children attend northridge school, Im sorry too say that the school lacks in music, sport and extracurricular activities. I think the staff that Ive been exposed too are great but lack of parent and funding for the school are severe.

This school's

(2012)

2 / 10

1 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school did not meet its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

2 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

1 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

66 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

67 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

66 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students36%

• Michele Flagler
Fax number
  • (916) 867-2070

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

5150 Cocoa Palm Way