Fair Oaks, CA

Posted July 25, 2014
My daughter attended 4th grade there for the 13-14 school year. Her teacher was previously a 1st grade teacher and had absolutely no idea how to teach a 4th grade class. She did not teach them the California History curriculum as required by state standards. She had them sitting on the carpet while she read picture books to them and claimed that it was a part of the critical literacy program. That is developmentally inappropriate at that age level. She also did not teach any science that year. In addition she did not have any control of her class and would punish all the students for the misbehavior of a few. The principal did not address issues as parents complained so they just continued. I was not happy with my experience at this school and am happy to say that I was able to transfer my daughter out and she will be attending a new school this next year

Posted September 26, 2013
My daughter attends Northridge Elementary. She had a difficult time transitioning being a new student. The staff at Northridge did a wonderful job helping her feel safe and secure. This year is her second year at Northridge and she is a thriving 6th grader.

Northridge Elementary School 4

Posted June 22, 2013
I'm a student of this school from some moons ago, in the 1990s. I'm told some of my teachers have retired, but others are still there. I remember nearly every grade as if it had special meaning. The classes were not that challenging, but I was also difficult to motivate. This school once cared a lot for the arts. Staff would help put on plays and a big performance at the end of the year. In 2nd grade, we did "Over the Rainbow" in sign language. My biggest gripe is not really their fault -- it's a public school. The teachers are inconsistent with the amount of attention they give, and they play favorites. For the parents that are unhappy about the lack of advanced classes: the school used to have a GATE program. And for years and years, I know at least one teacher discreetly gave a multiple choice math and science test to the kids. For the ones who did really well, she would pull them aside, and they'd get special classes after school. I visited years after I left and she was talking to her new advanced class, telling them not to say anything to anyone about it. I know I could have learned something from those sessions.

Posted February 11, 2013
My Son has been attending Northridge for a year and a half and we couldnt be happier with the school. The Teachers have been amazing, Staff friendly, and the extra activities and programs have been educational and fun. Were so glad we moved near Northridge Elementary School.

Posted November 16, 2010
I have had 3 kids in Northridge since 2006. We attended with the old principal and we have had the new one for a few years now. We are finishing out this year and then we are transfering. I have 2 more kids to get through elementary school. I agree with most of the poor comments about this school. There is no parent involvment. I volunteer at the school once a week. I hate having to go sign in at the office. The women who work in there are so completely RUDE! This is our 5th year at this school and one of the office ladies has yet to ever acknowledge me. i don;t even know her name. There is a lack of respect by some of the children-but the teachers wear jeans and tshirts everyday. What do they expect? What happened to dressing professionally, taking pride in your career, and passing that on to the children. There are absolutely NO programs for advanced children. My daughter who is in 8th grade now and has a 3.7 GPA just took a 6th grade review test for history and got a 60% on it!! Now they are english as a 2nd language school.

Posted November 02, 2009
I think Northridge is a wonderful school, working there for the last couple of years has been a rewarding experience. I believe that the staff does the best they can teaching, but I think what some parents have forgotten is that it is not the teacher's/staff's job to teach the children respect, manners and most of all kindness towards others. That is what they should be learning at home from their parents, the schools job is to continue that into the classroom and at recess. If we ALL work together then we will be able to help the children grow up to become productive and caring human beings.

Posted October 26, 2009
I am a parent with a unique perspective. Due to the fact that my original school location was closed due to budget cuts five years ago. We were transitioned into Northridge and initially it was not the most pleasant situation. My family and I are a part of the Northridge community and love it. When you become interested and invested in your child's life there are certain rewards that you never could have imagined. I have gotten to know the entire staff and faculty and I appreciate them and embrace each one of them. Turn off your television sets and participate. Become informed parent's. Don't sit back in the 'castors seat' and post false judgements. It's easy to sit and wait to receive. One hand washes the other is my philosophy. Your environment is what you make of it. Empower yourselves and your children with the truth of reality!

Posted October 03, 2009
My son is at Northridge and has had an amazing experience; the teachers have really been great. My son is a bright boy and they have been very encouraging and put in the extra effort to make sure that he is challenged and does not get bored. The kids are split up by skill level for different subjects, which allows for more one on one teaching; it does not leave those kids that need extra attention behind as well as not limiting those children that are more advanced. It is great. There was a school play last year that was a lot of fun for the kids. Music & choir programs. Fund raisers are a necessary evil as we do not get the funding due to budget cuts. Overall a great neighborhood school We love the new principal and she is doing an amazing job with the budgetary restraints.

Posted October 03, 2009
my sone loves the school. The teachers have been amazing and the new pricipal has made several changes for the better of the school. We have budget restraints & so we have several fund raisers. Teachers really work with those students that are gifted as well as need additional assistance. We have had a very positive experience - a great neighborhood school.

Posted May 15, 2009
I understand that the new principal has made several changes, and I DO NOT agree with all of them. If I could change anything, I would start off with a strong disciplinary plan for each child AND teacher. Some teachers need to revisit why they started teaching. I would also enforce RESPECT. Children and teachers need to respect eachother. 'Love your neighbor as yourself! I attended Northridge when I was in grade school. I will never forget the end of the year performances that we did. Those were the years! I was excited to see that each class put on a wonderful performance for Founder's Day. It brought back memories. ' We must bring back the end of the year performances. This will bring back love and joy to our community, and people will want to help our school. We need to do less fundraisers, and more community envolvement.

Northridge Elementary School
5150 Cocoa Palm Way, Fair Oaks, CA  95628
(916) 867-2066
Last modified Northridge Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Northridge Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top