Fair Oaks, CA

Posted April 28, 2014
This school is amazing. My family has been completely welcomed by parents and staff. The experiences these kids get to be involved in is second to none. I am completely impressed with the principal who knows what goes on in every classroom. If you are not happy with this school. There is something wrong with you.

Posted April 15, 2014
I attended this scool in the mid sixties and taught by the original Sisters of Mercy brought over from Ireland. The nuns terrorized us.

Posted June 14, 2013
This school is awesome, we couldn't be happier. The leadership says it all....and the families here really make a difference!

Posted June 03, 2013
This is our first year at St. Mel School - and we've been impressed with the teachers, principal and resources that St. Mel provide, The Kindergarten teacher shares a weekly newsletter, emails frequently, responds to request quickly and takes a genuine interest in the children in her classroom. Her assistant is kind, fun and a wonderful addition to the classroom - and will help the kids to make good choices in a kind way. I've only needed to call the office twice, but both times, I've had Mrs. Nagel, the principal on the phone within minutes. Parents are encouraged to be involved in the school - which I like - and so does my son. My son didn't enjoy preschool - but he loves St Mel and I believe this is a direct result of the wonderful people leading this school. We're fans of St. Mel School - and I plan to send my two year old there for Transitional Kindergarten as well.

Posted June 02, 2013
This school is horrible, the bullying is unbelievable, the education is ridiculously unbelievable, most of the class is teachers telling the students life stories and relating it to stuff that doesn't actually relate, horrible, glad to be out.
2 people found this helpful

Posted March 19, 2013
We have attended St. Mel School for almost 8 years, and I cannot say enough wonderful things about this school and its community. Both our children are receiving an excellent education, as evidenced with their test scores amongst their peers in other schools. I attribute their education to the faculty, my children's comfort with their surroundings, as well as the involvement of both my husband and myself in their daily lives. As it is not just a school or teacher's responsibility to educate your child, but the Parent's themselves. Our experience with St. Mel's has been wonderful and I know that after they move on to High School, they will always treasure the friendships, memories and Religious foundation that was formed at St. Mel School.

Posted March 19, 2013
I had children in two different grades, both received a sub par education in core subjects and I have heard similar reports from other families that switched schools. There is only one teacher per grade so you are stuck with what you get for an entire year and it can be extremely discouraging. Follow through from staff and administration is rare (in addressing a problem) and it is well known and chatted about in many parent circles. Much of how you are treated does boil down to money. If you pay full tuition and donate to the school and church you and your children will be highly favored and will be able to do whatever you please with no accountability. I never experienced bullying problems involving my children but I am aware it is a problem at St. Mel. I did however witness parent bullying and it is completely ridiculous. There are "cliques" in every school/club/workplace but it is far beyond average at St. Mel.

Posted March 19, 2013
I have had all four of my children attend school at St Mel, two of which have moved on to high school and I am very happy with the education they have recieved! My children range from a straight A student that is very focused to my youngest that struggles in certain areas. The principal and staff have embraced every one of them and helped each of them excel in their own way. In 4 grades so far, the teachers and principal have worked hard, in partnership with us as parents, to ensure that our youngest is getting what he needs in his education. When issues arise, as they do in every school, I know the principal takes fair and decisive action. I love the accelerated math program and the attention given to those who are struggling with early reading. Amazing field trips are taken to enrich the curriculum at each grade level. If you want your children to attend a school with a sense of community, a strong curriculum and staff that truly care about every child, St Mel is a great choice!

Posted March 19, 2013
Our four children and 5 cousins have attended/ been attending St. Mel school for the past 10 years. We feel privileged to have our family and many friends sharing in the Catholic faith and academics in all the various grades. We have our oldest son attending Jesuit High School this year and he is thriving. We feel that St. Mels not only prepared him academically for the challenges he came across in high school but he was also prepared mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. Our other children receive the same care and consideration by the teachers in each of their grades and they have never encountered any bullying. When there was an issue that needed to be addressed, we requested a meeting with the teacher and with the principal and it was handled professionally and delicately, always with the child in mind first. We have never felt intimidated or left out due to our low socio-economic status. We highly recommend St. Mel School as the school of choice for people who want to raise their children in a faith-filled environment, that not only provides a solid academic program but a morally and spiritually sound education as well.

Posted March 14, 2013
I rate the teacher quality low only so that attention is brought to the areas of math and science at this school. When 2/3 of a 7th grade math class require outside tutoring, then something is wrong with the instruction. The science dept also needs attention - there is crossover here, so similar issues apply. Unfortunately, at small private schools, it's hard to find the most dynamic teachers for every subject at each grade level.

St Mel School