Angelo Rodriguez High School

Public | 9-12

Living in Fairfield

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $260,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,700.

Posted April 17, 2014

My school is AMAZING! I love it, I'm an honors student and I actually learn in the classes!

Posted November 22, 2013

This school is AMAZING! I am a freshman here and so far its a awesome experience! All my teachers are very helpful! Its a real fun school! Best school I've ever been to! :)

Posted November 20, 2013

when I first attended RHS I didn't really like it, but my junior year I started understanding what being a mustang was all ABOUT. I think the only reason im still at this school is because of the friendly teachers and the Music department, yes their music department is the best in FSUSD the band rocks and their jazz choir is just wow, well im about of the jazz choir. but I really love this school and people in it.

Posted July 31, 2013

I attended RHS as a freshman in the 2012-2013 school year as my own commitment to do so. I really enjoyed it here, but unfortunately, I don't enjoy many of my classes, especially outside of class that I am being threatened and hated for no reason of what I did at first during lunch from a girl that talks to me and I talk politely for example and things don't go well. I attended leadership, which is very positive with more citizenship and responsibility in this process. I am extremely upset in my academic literacy class that didn't went right for me to be successful because of bullying and distractions from most students. It doesn't matter about being an unsafe and dishonest person to anyone who doesn't deserve to be one. This is why things would be even more ugly. I would not recommend to attend this school in my opinion.

Posted June 21, 2012

Upon our first impression, we believe communication is really lacking on behalf of the administration. We are trying to solve a problem for our son and are only incurring roadblocks.

Posted January 6, 2012

I graduated from RHS about 3 years and all I have to say is that they have awesome AP classes/AP teachers. Taking all AP classes was a challenge, but passing them became an advantage in college especially for an Electrical Engineering major.

Posted August 17, 2010

I'm not sure were the person below obtained his/her figures but 200 out of 500 students not graduating does not sound accurate. Do you seriously think nothing would be done of 200 student didn't graduate? My daughter graduated 2 years ago from this school and did very well there. She is now beginning her third year at Cal State Long Beach and my son is a junior there now at Rodriguez. I have gone directly to the principal, Amy Gillespe, on a number of issues and she dealt with our issues in a very fair, prompt, professional manner. Being a principal is an extremely tough position and in my opinion she does an outstanding job and I'm glad we have her. At Rodriguez there are great teachers and some mediocre teachers but you are going to find that at all schools and the wrestling program is top notch!

Posted June 16, 2010

For starters, nearly 200 of 500 SENIORS FAILED TO GRADUATE on June 3 2010. What does this tell you? The administration treats the students like inmates and sometimes uses scare tactics. Many of the kids complain about the lack of consistency and fairness regarding disciplinary action. Teachers are just like everywhere else, some good some bad, most scared to voice their opinion. Admittance to certain programs, such as honors and advanced classes is not done fairly. The school has implemented some criteria that has not been approved by the state but is more their own agenda. The leadership is poor, the principal is more the figurehead for the Vice Principal. The principal simply doesn t deal with important issues very well, for example the racial incident a couple of years ago hasn t resulted in any real changes. Don t let the API scores fool you. Scores aren't everything!

Posted February 1, 2010

Disappointed with their 'Zero Tolerance' Policy. Nothing was done to protect my child from being bullied.

Posted October 3, 2009

Rodriguez goes above and beyond to make high school a welcoming place for all students. Students know they are the number one priority for all the staff.

Posted September 8, 2009

No efective discipline, principal not attending parent voice mails.

Posted August 14, 2009

I disagree with the comments before, I am a student a RHS and I think all the teachers have done a great job. I think the english department is trying very hard to bring themselves up, but In my Opinion I think this is an excellent school with Great teacher. I have had great teachers the 3n years i been there.

Posted April 5, 2009

This school is really a great school, all of the ratings that are on this website are probably from students, or parents that will have problems at every school because of the way they act, not the staff at RHS. They are all really nice and they do know how to teach. I went there for 4 years, and I am now going to UC Berkeley, so that proves that RHS is a good school, and I am majoring in English, so that shows that the problems that people had were not because of the teachers.

Posted March 26, 2009

I am pleased and very impressed with the staff at Rodriguez. Each teach plays a key roll in my childs learning and I am updated with concers and actions immediately. I must admit I had doubts about sending my son here but after the first week of school I knew that I had made the right choice.

Posted January 21, 2009

1/2 through first year with 2 @ RHS I've mixed thoughts. Agree the English classes are awful. At back to school night one of my kids' teachers commented that his goal for the year was to 'instill a life long love of reading' They can read garbage and love it. They haven't picked up one piece of lit this year!! My kid, an avid reader, was even discouraged from reading a literary masterpiece for free reading because the teacher thought it above the focus of the class. The other child I had to fight to get placed in Geom. even though Algebra was taken in 8th with Bs. I had to sign a waiver and this one is getting A in Geom! Counselors too worried about them getting A's and they can slide through with sub par classes. It will be discouraging in College. Looking for alternatives. Good spirit, athletics,extra-curriculars now.

Posted November 12, 2008

My child is only a freshmen, but is doing great RHS! Maybe I haven't been around enough to agree with the previous comments, but I do know as far as safety, try putting your children in Armijo or Fairfield for a week and then let me know how un-safe you think they are at RHS.

Posted September 10, 2008

Being from this area, I had high hopes for RHS when it was first built but now that it has been established for some time and the excitement has faded so has the quality of education. The English department is seriously lacking and when the school administration was confronted with this they refused to do anything about it or make any changes since some or most of the teachers have tenure. This is an automatic safety net for teachers who are not good teachers or are otherwise incapable of teaching. My family and I have considered moving outside the area to provide a better school/school district for our two RHS students. They deserve to have an opportunity to thrive is a conducive learning environment....as do all children.

Posted May 13, 2008

I m concerned with children s safety at the school. While the new principal works on improvement the district appears to have different vision. The staff is lacking in communication with the parents and they always act immature. Racial problems are prevalent and the district lacks the ability to use common sense when they appear. They do have a great sports department though. The English dept needs to be cleaned up, as the teachers are very poor.

Posted April 28, 2008

I am an RHS alumni and I loved my 3 years there! It was a much better atmosphere than my first high school. There was so much diversity and young teachers who were learning with us. It was great!! Love you Mr Encalada!

Posted November 25, 2007

RHS has been disappointing since my children have attended. The teachers seem unqualified and the adminstration only cares about STAR testing, and not the children. My child has told me many times that he felt un-safe there due to the constant fights that take place. The do have a great football team this year.

This school's

(2012)

6 / 10

1 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

6 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

1 / 10

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

288 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

17 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

494 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

155 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

343 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

159 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

121 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

495 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

493 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

139 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

43 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

502 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

505 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

16 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

141 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

210 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

450 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

156 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

459 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

All Students24%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)72%
Parent education - college graduate75%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate85%
Parent education - declined to staten/a

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students40%

Parent education - college graduate65%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate81%
Parent education - declined to state63%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

521 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

517 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students91%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 10%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

5000 Red Top Road