828 students|Travis Unified

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

My math teacher was effective and we reviewed older lessons after learning new ones which really freshened up my knowledge.

Develops character: Agree

All students are treated equally by staff, no matter their size, race, or how they act, speak, or look.

I loved all of my teachers, and although my grades were bad, my grades didn't affect our student- teacher relationship. The homework didn't pile up often, and I believe I was lucky to go to Golden West Middle School.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

i felt that the teachers never even believed that i could succeed. i was even told by my father that the teacher said i just wasn't smart. i have a very good relationship with my dad, so he wouldn't lie about something like that. he was actually very angry.

Amount of homework: Agree

i had no problems with the homework, it was not an issue that required attention.

As a student in elementary, i has stellar grades, just shy of honor roll. when i went to golden west, in 2013, my grades dropped by a titanic amount. i went from straight B's to 2 C's, an F, and 2 D's. this was majorly due to the amount of bullying i was attacked with each day. it got so bad, that halfway into my second semester, i had broken does crying, pleading with my mother to let me stay home. i felt that they cared nothing for what happened to me. i cant tell you of one time i had a good memory here, besides the few good students. maybe instead of extra curricular activities, they could have spent more money on anti-bullying. for your child's sake, do not send them here. seek ANY other option.

I have got to disagree with some of the other reviewers. We moved to this district specifically to get into this school. While all districts have had budget cuts, this district and this school in particular have dealt with them unbelievably well. The teachers teach, but they are also available to the kids before and after school. The teachers have to have papers graded in a timely fashion and the entire district has an online grading system where parents can see grades and attendance-often before the kids get home from school. The classrooms/teachers have computers, smart boards and printers. They have an active library and librarian as well as a school nurse and 2 counselors. The principal and asst. principal are both very active in the school population and with parents. They even still have buses! As far as dealing with medical issues, my daughter has learning disabilities and they have bent over backwards for her-changing schedules, teachers calling me to see what they could do to help. Most teachers send out frequent emails advising parents of what is going on. Unlike many schools in the area, they still have extra-curricular activities including robotics and music.

My daughter was being bothered by another student and the situation was handled quickly and fairly. We have not had any other problems. When I do call with a concern the staff is very helpful and all of my questions are answered. The music teacher and staff are stellar! Overall this school is very good.

this school does very little to protect our children form bulling.I 've never had to deal with kids that have respect for anyone

I have been extremely disappointed in this schools attitudes with instilling confidence in childrens work. They do not bend in helping to meet the children halfway even when there are medical and social issues involved. It is overcrowded and budget cuts are remaining very problematic in California school system at our childrens expense and possibly even their futures. I have pulled my son out and put him in private education for the first time in his life due to becoming concerned of him falling in the the third of the student population who drops out of high school in the CA public education system on account of him just getting frustrated and feeling incompetent. He was failing his courses constantly yet scoring advanced on his STARS tests. The staff didn't seem concerned because his end of year testing was fine and he was a "bright and respectable student"!

Last modified Golden West Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 7-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.