The Phoenix School 2

Posted May 22, 2014
As a parent who has had their child at this school for several years, I can share what I believe are the good and bad points. The good points are that this is a great K-2 program. After that, the benefits dramatically go down. We did not see a holistic approach to education but rather a strong focus on pure academics. I will say that there are some very dedicated teachers, which is why we gave the 5 stars. Also, this school has had turned over three principals since we have been here and they still have not replaced the last one. Finally, we gave an average score on parent involvement as some teachers excelled in this area and others did not.

Posted January 30, 2014
I'm commenting on my specific parent experiences at the The phoenix schools. My experiences were specifically in Folsom & the school in El Dorado Hills that was shut down. I can say that this is NOT a place you would want to trust with your children. The private company that took over the school a few years ago has completely & without a doubt let the teaching & more importantly the leadership staff & facilities become run down & have cut expenses like lunches & in the quality of the staff they employ. I've seen first hand arguments with parents where teachers disregard parents requests for care of their child. I've seen teachers who were "let go" after incidents that shocked & surprised me relating to child care. Teachers using their cell phones while "supervising" classes. Believe me you DO NOT want to consider this school as they are obviously experiencing serious financial issues, and they lack the ability to prioritize child care over money. They are not willing to spend any money on quality employees, let alone update their toys and learning tools for children. They are interested in 1 thing which is & in now way consider your child's needs or care in any way.

Posted January 20, 2014
A great private school education! I have no complaints! The new principal has made many tremendous improvements to the school - including new security measures/telephone in each room/television in each room. The teachers are happy and dedicated. The school curriculum contains music,technology and art on a regular basis. The after school programs include taekwondo, chess, gymnastics, choir, cooking and even rainbow looming for the little ones! Everyone, including the librarian, is friendly and courteous, must especially mention Rhonda and the other ladies at the front desk, who makes my day by greeting me with enthusiasm and a smile every time. Parent involvement is also significant. Very impressed with this school. Keep up the great job!

Posted April 02, 2013
I enrolled my fifth grade son at Phoenix for several reasons but the main reasons were for writing and smaller class size. Prior to this year he hated writing! Writing was the cause of most of our homework and school troubles. Now he looks forward to writing and his writing skills have grown tremendously. I am amazed at the difference. I plan on keeping him enrolled through 8th grade. We are really liking the smaller classes and more individualized instruction he receives. I wish my two older children had been able to receive the same level of instruction.

Posted February 07, 2013
I love the teachers at this school! There is an open door policy, meaning I can stop in at any time to observe my child in class, as well as any other grade I am interested in. Each and every time I have observed there are meaningful lessons being taught, the students are engaged and the teacher shows genuine care and concern for all the students. I love knowing that my child is cared for by such personable, kind, and sensitive teachers and staff. The class sizes are small enough for the teachers to get to know every single child personally and differentiate the curriculum based on the child's learning style. The effort it takes to be a teacher and care about someone else's child as much as these teachers do is recognizable and commendable. Thank you Phoenix Teachers!

Posted February 07, 2013
The students, parents and staff are amazing at the Phoenix Elementary school!!! With small class sizes (average of 16-18 students per class) and current curriculum that follows the common core standards, students are getting an amazing experience! Each classroom is equipped with a flat screen tv or a projector to integrate technology into the student s daily lessons. Students participate daily in specialty classes taught by specialty teachers- this includes art, library, music, p.e, technology, Spanish, yearbook, and media. I feel privileged to be teaching at school that provides such high quality education!

Posted August 07, 2012
Not recommended at all, this school has no communication between the teachers to the school office, very poor origination, my son was in the school for one week and we have to pull him out since we are so disappointed with the school. We signed my son for all the activities, but they didn t take him to the field trip or the mini camp, even though I triple checked with the clerks in the front desk to make sure that my son was on the entire list for all the activities. But he was left in the classroom twice, I wonder when the teacher had the list on the hand and didn t count the kids to make sure all the kids are there or not? My son was very sad of his experience of this school, all he said about this school was: they forgot me. And the kids are bully there, teacher seems take it too easy on the bully kids.

Posted June 29, 2012
I've read some of the negative reviews, but I haven't seen any of those issues. My child has gone to Phoenix for two years and has had a wonderful experience in both school and aftercare. The elementary school teachers are fantastic and great with the kids. They can tailor the kids education to meet their individual needs because the class sizes are so small. The after school teachers, while younger than the elementary school teachers, are very caring and have fun with the kids. When I pick my child up from school, he is either playing or a teacher is reading a book to them. There are parents at every school who have issues with something for that particular school. We live in El Dorado Hills with good public schools yet my friends have issues with the leadership and class sizes in those schools. I think it is up to parents to find a school that meets their families needs. We love Phoenix and the safe and academic environment it offers, so we are enrolling our daughter here in the fall and plan to send both kids here through middle school. I highly recommend Phoenix and only have positive things to say about it.

Posted June 27, 2012
We had a issues with after school care at Phoenix last year. Switched to public school and the issues went away completely. The key difference I see is the public school after-school care is run by experienced after school teachers. At Phoenix they utilize a lot of High School kids looking to get class credits to save costs. The difference was very distinct. I had a very hard time even finding out what happened in after school care, everything was escalated to the principal who then launched an investigation that made matters more convoluded. It was one child's word against the other. The maturity and experience level of the after school staff was simply not there. In contrast at our public school day care we never had this issue dealing with professionals. They provided better structure and discipline to the kids than the Phoenix High School after-school teachers did. Experience and maturity counts esp when dealing with larger number of children. After school care we thought was one area we paid private school prices for less than public school quality.

Posted May 02, 2012
My son has attended Phoenix for K-1st grade. We have been so happy with his teachers and the quality of education he has received. There have only been 15 kids in each class and the teachers are able to focus on the individual needs of each kid. My son has learned so much this year and is reading consistently at a 2nd grade reading level, even reading early 3rd grade level books. The school itself is small and has a very safe learning environment. My son is shy and can excel here whereas he would be left behind at our large public school. I have volunteered in his classes and see the wonderful interactions the teachers have with the kids and how their artwork tie into the unit they are focusing on. Some people have stated negative things about the principal, but I have only had positive interactions with Mrs. MacDonald. I feel that she has moved the school forward in a positive manner and has brought an excellent curriculum to the school. She is very professional and is quick to respond to my emails and in person questions. We have only had positive experiences at this school and I plan to continue to send my son here as well as my daughter when she starts kindergarten.

The Phoenix School