Fontana High School

Public | 9-12

Living in Fontana

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $142,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $990.

Posted September 24, 2012

I am a former student of this school Class of 1999. I honestly think you get, what you get out of it. So it really depends on the kids who attend this school. I had some awesome teachers and remember that I learned a lot. It was a crowded school, but it always does depend on the character of each kid. I was ready to graduate by my Junior year but chose not to. I became a medical assistant during my Senior year. I also got an internship at Kaiser Permanente during my Senior year which was awesome. I really think it depends on the teens on what their influence towards the future is. :)

Posted August 29, 2011

A great place to work with a dedicated staff and faculty. They now offer some courses that will be important scaffolds to the future.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 2, 2011

Awesome place to be with great teachers. Love this school and the new direction it has taken.

Posted November 11, 2010

Fontana is a great school that provides quality education. It has a dedicated staff that works hard on a daily basis to improve the lives of its students. I have seen first hand how hard the staff works for the students at Fontana. The students are also wonderful.

Posted October 8, 2010

I used to attend this school and it was very hard to see any motivation for intelligence in that school. it seemed more like they were trying to "keep the peace" rather than promote an education. I was in a lot of the Advanced placement classes ad it was just sad the amount of priority we got let alone in regular classes. All they seemed to care about was helping everybody graduate regardless if they learned anything. My friend graduated here and still wrote an essay like a fifth grader. They fired many great teachers just out of seniority not out of quality and just shifted teachers around regardless if they were equipped and knowledgeable in the subject.

Posted May 7, 2008

My biggest complaint about fohi is the lack of accountability on the teachers part. My son has been on an IEP for 2 years and I have regular meetings with the teachers. Not once have all the teachers been there all together, some rarely come, and two of the teachers I have never met, even though one of them has sent letters insisting on a parent/teacher meeting!on a parent teahcer

Posted October 29, 2007

Fontana High School is an average school. The new principal is trying to communicate with the parents more by having more parent meetings. Most teachers are good. The schools student population is 4200. I believe with the new principal that the school will go in the right direction.

Posted November 14, 2006

If you are going to be in the Fontana Unified School District, then Fontana High proves to be the best of the other high schools in regard to sports, student activities, and the teachers. However, if you are thinking about moving here, do not if you are concerned about your student's education.

Posted October 14, 2006

I am so tired of worring about my child staying safe at your school.

Posted January 13, 2006

The academic programs at Fontana High are decent. Some teachers are should not be working but it is difficult to get them to leave. The music and sports programs are fun. We have some winning teams but its about enjoying the game and making friends. Not many parents are involved.

Posted November 28, 2005

Fontana high school is a very good school. The teachers do a good job teaching.

Posted June 7, 2005

The students should be able to wear open toe shoes without a strap in the back. I think that the dress code is way to strict. If the parents allow them to walk out of the house like that then its not that bad. The students are going to wear what they want anyway so why even put up the fight. I buy my children initial belt buckles so why can't they wear them. If you band these things they will just keep on doing it. I'm getting fustrated because my kids are getting referrals every other day.

Posted February 3, 2005

As a former student and legacy graduate of Fontana High School, I lament to reveal that I felt shortchanged throughout my University experience in the Sciences. It was the mediocre preparation that I received at FHS that significantly contributed to this fact, despite my rigorous course work and preparation, it was just not up to par with my counterparts. This recognition was quickly noted while studying and comparing test results. It appeared that what was considered 'above and beyond', such as taking Calculus at FHS was the norm and in fact a standard at other public schools. My younger sister is currently a senior at FHS (2005) and received a call over break to make her aware that the AP Chemistry class she was enrolled in was cancelled due to budget cuts. This is unacceptable and would never occur in a more affluent socioeconomic region. Improvement is substantially in need!

Posted October 25, 2004

There are some teachers that are great. But there are teachers that I have came across that do not know how to make a class enjoyable or creative. Nor do the teachers understand the students feelings. This also goes for some of the personal other then teachers. I'm also tired of the bullies that get away with what they do. They have no respect for other students or parents. I don't like being lied to by personal or being kept in the dark about certain options that I or students have. I will say they do have a wide selection of classes and extracurricular activities to choose from.

Posted August 17, 2004

There has always been a stigma around Fontana High that the football team was the highest priority in both the student heirarchy and in preferential treatment by the instructors. I graduated in 1996, and did see some of that manifest itself...but when it came down to the actual academics, I felt the adanced placement students were the real rulers of the school. I was in AP my entire time at FoHi, and I had the distinct impression that the instructors felt we were the chance at greatness. The AP courses were very effective in preparing us for college, even for Ivy League, where I ended up. The quality of the instruction was top notch back then--my biggest complaint was the lack of counselling. Not enough of us went to top-tier schools (like they should have) and I place that on the counselors who, I feel, didn't encourage the students enough.

Posted April 14, 2004

I am a recent graduate of Fontana High school. Class of 2003. I enjoyed my 4 years at Fontana High. All the teachers and administrators were very attentive to all the students. While I was attending Fontana I felt very safe and secure with the school. Many of the teachers helped to prepare students for college. I see the results now that I am attending college. Things that I learned at Fontana will help me throughout my life. Fontana had a good athletic program. They made sure all the athletes kept thier grades up. The counselors were very helpful. They helped me prepare for college and helped me receive free money for college. They try to help every student in every way. Fontana has a reputation as a bad school, but really no one really knows untill they have had the chance to experience it. It is a really great school!

Posted March 1, 2004

I may have a unique point of view on the quality of education at Fontana High School. I am a graduate - class of '69; my daughter graduated with the class of '01 and I have been teaching here for 29 years! I have to take exception to the reviews posted here. Athletics is not the #1 priority at Fohi. As a graduate, I found myself very well prepared to attend college by teachers who cared about my education and the education of all levels of students. As for my daughter, she has done extremely well in college and speaks fondly of most of her teachers. As a teacher at Fohi, I resent the implication that I don't care about the students in my overloaded classes. If more parents would get involved in their student's lives we could all get along much easier and with greater success.

Posted February 23, 2004

I was a student here at 'Fontana High School.' Class of 98'. It was an average school to me. I came from a private school. Which I think is better then public, because it seems as if the teachers do care about the students more. Here at Fontana is true about the sports. It seems as if that's all they cared about. What I think now looking back if I had a choice with my kids either putting them in private school or public I would choose private by far.

Posted August 26, 2003

I was a student there. Class of 99' It was ok. I had great teachers.

Posted August 26, 2003

If your child is not in football then forget it. That is all this school cares about. Period. I have had three children graduate from here and the treatment between the average student and the football player is unbelieveable. There is no encouragement from counselors, teachers, or anyone else. And most of class time is spent teaching english to spanish speaking students.

This school's

(2012)

3 / 10

6 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

3 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

6 / 10

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

435 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

22 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

550 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

207 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

713 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

22 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

251 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

161 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

110 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

182 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

155 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

247 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

559 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

272 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

559 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

625 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

23 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

136 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

99 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

122 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

48 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

466 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

149 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

60 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

525 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

39 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students6%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)49%
Parent education - college graduate49%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate45%
Parent education - declined to state44%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students0%

Hispanic or Latino32%
Students with no reported disability42%
Fluent-English proficient and English only42%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

644 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

645 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students72%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 1%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
PE instructor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Special education / special needs

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
Transportation options